Sony PS4 Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by PhazeDelta1, Dec 7, 2014.

1. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I think noise levels depend on how well ventilated the console is and how often you use it.

Me and my brother both own a ps4, base level.

Now, mines is noisy while it installs a game in the background, but past that it's silent. It's in a big open air stand and I do not use it too much as I have a pc, switch, etc.

My brother, he jams it in this enclosed wooden tv stand thing, where you would normally slot a DVR, he also has it as his only video games platform and also for netflix etc. Oh my god does this thing sound like a jet engine with its fans.

The internet comments a lot about how the ps4 basic is noisy, personally never heard it much.

Slim fixes issues from the basic about how the fan works (it was based on CPU/GPU load rather than actual temperature), pro has the same cooling technique and should be reasonably similarly the same noise level.

So, don't box it in, if you use it all the time, maybe clean it.

Also greatly depends on ambient temperature, I live in scotland and it's not overly warm,

Angantyr likes this.
  2. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Thanks for the answer, that's some pretty good info. I did plan on having the PS4 slim boxed into a small wooden stand as your brother does it, but luckily I do have the option of putting it in an open area.

So far as ambient temperature, I'm guessing its quite similar to how you have it in Scotland, being above 20 Celsius is quite rare around here.

In the end, I just found it odd that many reviews or discussions of the console didn't mention noise levels, and I do consider that important. Also, I can't really find any (personal) justification for the PS4 Pro, so I'll probably go for the Slim version and get to enjoy couch gaming again.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  3. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    My PS4 (original) is standing on it's side right next to my gaming PC, tucked down under my desk. It gets louder at random times, but even at it's loudest, it's not bad. My 970 SLI is MUCH louder when the blowers really get cooking. If you're in a living room setup with decent speakers, you might notice it, but it won't be "loud".

Only real benefit of the Pro if you're on a 1080p TV is better frame rates in some games, or slightly improved visuals. I've couldn't justify an upgrade on mine (especially after replacing the hard drive with a 7200 rpm), but if I were buying new, I would get a Pro just for the piece of mind.

4. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    My PS4 Pro sounds like a tornado running some games, silent while idle however, but yeah quite loud under load and it's in a very well ventilated area.

I have heard other PS4 Pro's that don't sound as loud however, it seems to vary quite heavily from console to console with the Pro.

5. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Appreciate all the feedback, thanks!. But yeah, I honestly think I'll settle on the PS4 Slim, the pro seems unjustified in my case. Due to my television and the amount I'll be using a PS4 (Literally just 2 or 3 games at most). But the anecdotes on the noise is great to hear, but the first thing that pops into my mind is the; Silicon Lottery. Since the noise levels varies greatly from console to console.

But I think I'll manage the potential noise, as I play south park with a colleague ;)

6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Just completed persona 5, one of the best jrpgs I've played, and one of the few I've completed and not got bored of near the end.

Gonna a start persona 4 on my Vita next, see if I can get a cheap pstv

anxious_f0x likes this.
  7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I liked the look of the game. But the violence was a bit OTT for me. I was expecting more of a JRPG style.

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Nice congrats. I got my PSTV for around $60 bucks on Amazon. I may pull the trigger on a PS Vita at some point.

9. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Yeah I got a vita TV for £45 on eBay, should arrive next week. 16gb memory card

Irritating that Sony charge for cloud saving so I'll have to swap memory card for the time being. Not paying for ps plus just to get cloud saves

10. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    That is because it is always whizzing it down up here. :p

Two awful summers in a row or was it 3...

11. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Haha yeah there was even random 10 minute heavy downpour on the way home from work

But nah, this is same city and all and two flats kept at probably near same temperature, ventilations important yo

12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Got me a upgrade in the sense of a PS4 pro and 4k HDR tv. huge step up for me from hd ready and launch ps4.
    Bought the pro for €307 on ebay (since paypay gave 15% discount on everything) and got €190 for my old ps4 (with fifa15 destiny and gta5).
    Im quite happy to say the least.

Btw does anyone know if HDMI 2.1 will come with a future firmware upgrade ?
    Ive noticed i need to buy a new cable to connect to my pc now, im unable to set HDR on and go 4k atm lol Damn these cables are expensive. €60 for a cable omfg!

13. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    wtf no you dont need to spend €60 on a cable

as long as it's marked "high speed" it should be fine, 2.0 is enough for 4k60

14. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Well i need about 7,5mtr , i cant find cheap ones.

15. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Today sees the next PlayStation 4 system software update rolling out with a host of new features for your console.

Some of you may have already got hands-on with system software 5.00 in our recent beta test and tried out a few of the features, such as the new family management setup and improvements to the Quick Menu and friends list, and we’ve been fine-tuning these based on your feedback. But there are a few additional features that will go live for the first time today; take a look at what’s coming your way:

Team Tournaments
    The 5.00 update brings a new dimension to eSports on PS4, with the launch of ESL Team Tournaments.

An extension of the PS4 Events tab, you’ll now find the option to join or create a team of players to squad up and play together online in selected team-based multiplayer games. You can register your team for any upcoming tournaments in the Events schedule, see what upcoming matches you can compete in, then show off your results on your team page (if you want to).

Each team can have up to 100 members, and you can join up to 60 different teams at once, each with a unique name, logo and profile. There’s a team chat function so you can discuss tactics before jumping into battle, and you can recruit (or remove) members as you go – so before long you could be part of an all-conquering crew.

Supported games at launch are Uncharted 4 and Mantis Burn Racing, with more to follow.

[​IMG]
    Parental control improvements for families on PSN
    One major feature that was included with the 5.00 update beta trial was a brand new family on PSN , replacing the previous master/sub accounts.

[​IMG]
    With this new family system, each PS4 user can be managed individually, meaning parents can stay in control of what younger children play, watch, and their online access, while older kids and adults are free to play games or watch movies suitable to their age group. And because the controls are applied individually to each PSN account (rather than just to your home console), they’ll apply to whichever PS4 a family member signs in on.

[​IMG]
    Family management
    Now, with the full launch of system software 5.00, families on PSN can now be managed from a dedicated web portal, meaning parents and guardians can easily adjust their parental controls from their smartphone and PC.

These new Family Management settings are now available in the PS4 settings menu, and are ready to set up now. If you’ve already set up your family on PSN and want to try out the web portal, you can find it HERE.

[​IMG]
    Follow Anyone
    You can now follow any PSN account to see what they’re playing and sharing on PS4, without needing to be friends with them – so if there’s a player who’s a master of your favourite game and shares inspiring videos and screenshots, you can follow them to see their latest updates in your What’s New feed.

[​IMG]
    App updates

As well as the on-console improvements, we’re making some updates to our smartphone apps too:

• PlayStation Communities:
      The app will now flip into landscape mode when you rotate your phone, and you’re also now able to post animated GIFs on community walls. Additionally, the Communities app is now available in Czech, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Romanian, Thai and Vietnamese.
    • PlayStation Messages:
      Similarly to the PS4 console messaging improvements, the PlayStation Messages app will now display a preview of a website if you’re sent a URL within a message. And, along with the Communities app, the Messages app is now available in Czech, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Romanian, Thai and Vietnamese. In addition, there are new stickers available.
      Just in case you missed our beta trial announcement post a few weeks ago, here’s a quick run-down of the features that beta testers will have been using already – or read about them in more detail HERE:
    • Friend list management
    • Twitch 1080p broadcasting
    • Message improvements
    • Notifications updates
    • Quick Menu updates
    • Music player improvements
    • Virtual surround sound for PS VR when watching DVDs and Blu-Rays
    • Updated language support

16. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Follow anymore? Stalking more like.

17. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Sounds like a very standard social media thing to me

18. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Sadly yes. Any work colleague or boss can look up what you were doing on days off or off sick.

Keitosha likes this.
  19. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Question time.

I want to buy another ps4 pro. My whole games are digital download. I have business in another city. Hired a home etc. Need to game there too of course. So I have ps4 pro on my main city X let's say. Also I am going and staying at city Y.

So, I will buy a new ps4 pro to city Y. Will the game save field sync? Like steam cloud. I started to play fallout 4 on city X. Then will go. Start ps4 pro in city Y. Start fo4. Fo4 will continue where I left at city X?

Sorry for Lame English skills of mine.

20. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    you can, but be sure all have permission. otherwise you will have to do it manually. and faster might be to copy them on a usb stick.