Sony PS4 production cost estimated at $381

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Violentum

Violentum Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX760 OC
    Why do I always argue with people? I don't. I defend my opinion. Why is this one so hard for everyone to accept on this forum?

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Because you put your opinion forward as fact.

If you said i think x, but i might be wrong and y might be right, the people would be ok about it.

3. Violentum

Violentum Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX760 OC
    This is a huge contradiction. Think about it. If the PS4's GPU is about as powerful as a GTX 660 from two years ago then there would be ZERO need to lower quality in order to maintain 60 FPS. Because here is the logic to this. If a GPU from the PC could 2 years ago, and it was less optimised in the first place, then it would naturally be a breeze for a console. Do you see what I am saying here?

You can't take a 100 HP engine that is rated 100 horse power then turn around and claim it is 110 HP but then make the road easier to drive on. You follow?

4. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    No, i don't see what your saying.

If a GTX660 could maintain 1080/60 in new PC games then i would, but it can't, not even close.
    It couldn't even maintain 1080 at 30fps.

The reason i know this is that it's not much faster than my card, and there is no way i could hit PS4 or even XboxOne visuals on this PC.

If your wanting to use engine metaphor's, then think of it like this.
    A 100 HP engine is near to 100 on a PS4/Xbox, but on a PC it's around 60-70HP.

5. Violentum

Violentum Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX760 OC
    Ok now we are getting somewhere. So, if the GTX 660 which you just agreed can't maintain 60 in 1080P and it was already agreed that the PS4 is as powerful as the GTX 660, why on earth would anyone here pay $400 knowing full well they wouldn't pay that now for a GTX 660 for PC?

If you are having a hard time trying to understand what I am doing here I will make it easy:

Many people here would never recommend anyone to buy a GTX 660 today. But those very same people that would not , are in fact the same people that ran out with there credit card for the PS4.

If this isn't a double standard then I do not for the life of me know what one is....

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Lol wtf. Such a small portion of people around this forum actually went and got a PS4. So who exactly are you referring to? Even if someone with a high end PC did go and buy a PS4 just to play exclusive titles, why is that somehow hypocritical? They obviously have the money and enjoy gaming so why wouldn't they ensure they have access to every platform?

What your're saying is retarded, plain and simple.

7. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's only a double standard if graphics cards play games on their own, and while i will admit i have never plugged a GPU into a screen without the rest of a PC attached i'm willing to go out on a limb and say i'm 100% sure this won't work.

I would struggle to build an HTPC for $400, was your PC a gift, did they hide the receipt??

You can't just say stupid stuff, seriously i'm trying to be as nice as i can here.

The value of a console is the fact that you would have to spend $800 for a PC with similar performance.
    The games also work out cheaper in the long run, if i had a PS4 i would buy COD Ghosts, finish it then trade it in for BF4, then finish BF4 and trade that in for something else.....since i only have a PC right now i have not bought either.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    He's also missing the fact that the GTX660 is just over a year old, not 2 years (like he keeps claiming). It was released in September 2012.
    The GTX660 also has to deal with the 40% overhead inflicted by DirectX that consoles don't suffer from. You actually get near full performance from console hardware whereas a PC takes a 40% performance hit (at minimum) from high level APIs being used.

You can build an HTPC for less than $400. It's just a PITA to do and you have to make major sacrifices... I've got $350 tied up in my HTPC (if you count software)....

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  9. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I actually find that number pretty believable. Console makers know, just as smart phone makers know, that the real money is made on a person after they get the console. They could charge more for it, but they want as many people with a PS4 in their house as possible.

When places review games for this current generation that have multi system releases, the de facto console was/is the 360 simply based on that consoles global market share. Unless you were a japanese game reviewer in japan, that being the only exception really.

Sony wants that market share again. Like they had with the PS2.

10. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't have enough fingers and toes to count up the facts he is missing.

Yeah, i tried to use the engine metaphor of 60-70HP for a 100HP engine to account for the DX overheard, but it seems he completly ignored that part since it didn't fit with his "argument"

Well done building an HTPC for $400, i'm still struggling to build one for £400 and that is taking into account the higher prices here.

11. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Depending on your needs, I built one for around the £350 mark not so long ago. AMD 5800K + Asus A55 with 8gb of Geil 1866, XFX 450w and a 1tb toshiba HDD. Granted I got the 5800K on sale for £70 at the time and had a spare copy of Windows for him, but still. My brother seems happy enough with it for his needs, has it connected to a his 42" tv with a wireless mouse and keyboard. Does a little light gaming and some basic word processing and other office related tasks. I found that it'll run most games on medium settings at 1080p and manage to chug along at over 30 fps. Although the more demanding titles are out. Could have probably built it for less if not for the case he wanted.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Yeah, it's not an easy feat to pull off. Took me months to track down parts in the right price ranges. About drove my wife nuts doing it....lol

He doesn't like facts because they contradict his opinions.....

13. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    100% cost increase to reach similar performance? Seems a bit high, any data to support this and is that including an OS?

Also does that take into account the "closer architecture" that the new consoles have to PCs, or am I just totally misunderstanding the entire thing XD.

14. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Surely the data to support that could be supported by how much your own PC cost to build, and clearly it includes the OS as while it's easy enough to not pay for that it's not accurate.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Looks like someone created a second username....

16. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    Well we'd have to see what performance a PC that cost 800 (700 without an OS, or whatever windows costs nowadays, not payed for a version in years) to build was up against a PS4 really, with some quantitative data that showed that the 800 dollar PC was preforming within a non-significant difference to the console.

Also your point assumes that the devs on console start off getting 100% out of the console from the get go, which whilst possible, seems unlikely.

The real test would be seeing if the devs could get 100% potential out of the console, before PCs become cheap enough so they can just throw more power to overcome the problem for the same price.

17. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    Or someone just signed up to this new website they found on a topic that interests them?

Anyway, do you think that dude really wants to make a new account, looks like he's having enough fun on his one.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    You do realize that a console is a lot more than a gpu? For $400 you're getting a cpu, gpu, motherboard, ram, soundcard, controller, Blu-ray player... Are you even serious anymore?

19. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Why are you guys so easily baited by trolls?

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Lol, was just thinking that. Maybe he's sensing he has a custom title coming for his first one.