Sony PS4 production cost estimated at $381

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    You're not debating in the least. You're being an arrogant, condescending asshat despite the fact you clearly know absolutely nothing about computer hardware or software.

2. Violentum

Violentum Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX760 OC
    Where did that come from?

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Uh yeah that's kind of how it works, especially with the GPU in both of them. The reason why AMD has a significantly higher TFLOP count yet performs identically to the lower Nvdia cards is because of the super-scalar arch AMD employs to process data. If the driver can't find a way to fill the pipeline you have a loss of efficiency while processing. If a game developer knows designs the game specifically for that architecture though, they can fill the pipeline and get full performance out of it. The reason why this doesn't happen on the PC is because of all the different architectures being used across the spectrum. They design the game for broad consumption and let AMD/Nvidia do the hard work of filling their respective designs.

And you probably shouldn't talk about common sense after that starwars comment.

You're getting an entirely complete system as oppose to a graphics card and nothing else?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    you're not debating. you're spewing BS.

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Yep. This place has become Toms Hardware.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    As usual...you're wrong again. Pentium is derived from the Greek word pente, meaning five.

Intel has not gotten rid of "Pentium" as a processor name. The Pentium processor series was replaced by the Core 2 and later Core series processors in the high-end, mainstream and enthusiast markets. Pentium branded processors currently occupy the budget market with Celeron processors taking up the entry-level market.

As for the consoles. Unlike PC and Mac, developers can code "direct to metal" on the consoles, allowing them to make use of the full capabilities of the console hardware. On PC, devs only have access to features and capabilities exposed by the drivers and implemented APIs. Direct to Metal programming allows for much more efficient use of hardware.

BTW, debating requires facts to be presented and argued by both sides. Quite the contrary here. You've failed to present any facts, at any time and instead argue your opinion vs facts. You seem to think that your opinion takes priority over the facts. You've been proven wrong in every thread you've attempted to argue in and on every topic you've attempted to argue about.

7. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    @Violentum

While i prefer a pc for 1-2 player gaming (better performance, much better graphics on a smaller screen with mouse/keyboard), show me a pc for 400$ that i can use with 2-4 people (at the same time/one screen) to play (most) racing/flying/shooting games.

thats the reason most customers bought the (50) ps4 in my store (~80%).
    Not because its faster or better (than other "stuff").

How about 4 player split-screen session of mario kart? right, doesnt work on your pc.

8. Violentum

Violentum Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX760 OC
    The problem with you and a few other long term members here is I find you are very closed minded. I am the opposite. I can look at things from both sides. I don't get upset or angry because of someone's opinion. I don't go around calling people names like "troll" or idiot or stupid just because they have a different opinion then me. This forum is for information on many different topics hardware or otherwise. Not all the information is going to be stop on perfect every time. What I have a hard time with is misinformation. Or posts that clearly show a bias at the extent of purposely leading people with a false sense of the truth behind something. A good example with you is when we talked about NVIDIA G-sync and ShadowPlay. Instead of you just posting your opinion and calling it a day, you had to go on and on about Mantle and how good it is going to be without any real world use. You then down play G-sync and act like it is basically useless and shadowplay has no real use either even though almost every PC gamers likes to record there games.

You being a long term guru3d member should be more open minded and chill out. The world is not always black and white you know...

Peace out!

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    ^Your also wrong a lot too that's another difference.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    your opinion isn't just different, it's also wrong 90%+ of the time. You are not open minded if you don't understand that a $400 console is different to a single pc component. you keep getting things wrong, then corrected, then you act like you're right. I could post countless threads where you were corrected because you were wrong.

I will do it if you want me to show you how badly wrong you don't understand pc hardware. I'll do it later, just let me know if you want me to do it.

11. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    You mean like almost every single post you've made on this forum?

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    a lot seems a bit of an understatement, more like 99%

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    "Almost every PC gamer likes to record their games?" Any proof to support that claim? Didn't think so. Fact is, most gamers are interested in the game play itself, not making videos of if.

I discount G-Sync because it's a niche product to fill a niche market. Being a proprietary "technology" it'll never be anything but a niche product. As long as NVidia is the only graphics chip maker able to utilize it, it'll never be a mainstream "technology".

I'm perfectly open-minded. I own processors from both Intel and AMD (and ARM/Qualcomm if you count my cellphone), as well as graphics cards from both NVidia and AMD. I've also owned processors from Cyrix (now VIA) as well as graphics cards utilizing chips from S3. I don't buy products based on brand name. I buy based on value and function. My recommendations are based on reading and understanding what others want/need. I personally have absolutely no brand preference what so ever.

A troll, is someone that disregards fact in favor of their own opinion, often presenting that opinion as fact, or intentionally causes disruption. Which is exactly what you do. You've repeatedly presented your own opinions, claiming them to be facts (exactly as you did in the post I just quoted). Your goal here appears to be nothing more than to cause disruption and spread misinformation.

So, what you're saying is you have a problem with your own posts. That's nice to know.

14. Violentum

Violentum Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX760 OC
    Did you make up your own version of what an internet troll is"

Troll:

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community.

I don't start arguments nor do I try to upset anyone on this forum. I don't jump into threads with off topic messages and I never insult anyone. YOU do....

15. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    You do all of those things and more, and it's pretty damn obvious. The fact you weren't banned some time ago absolutely astounds me.

16. Violentum

Violentum Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX760 OC
    Whats with you and this banning thing? What ban everyone for posting there opinions on hardware? You have some issues man...

17. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    You have done nothing but post misinformation and bias on a near constant basis for a week or more now. There is no possible way you're this ignorant, and it's clearly intentional. You are nothing more than a nonsense merchant and frankly you insult the intelligence of everyone on this forum pretty much every time you post.

18. Angushades

Angushades Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    Where are the facts that console as more optimised ? I own both xbox and ps3 and both of them run games like ****. If you think halo reach looked good or uncharted then you have some low standards.i don't see the direct to metal crap real.i though consoles still use and API of some sort. OpenGL of some sort.i think over time the tools get better for the dev kits. Like an update maybe that's why they look better after years of been out. Most ppl on forum throw words around with no experience at all. I'm lead to believe that most don't work in an IT outlet or is a programmer.

19. Violentum

Violentum Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX760 OC
    Exactly! If consoles are so much more optimised then PC why the heck do they always have a hard time hitting the 60 FPS mark and why haven't they all been 1080P a long time ago? Like I said, pulling stuff out of there @ss...

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Violentum, if you actually thought about it you would know why consoles don't always hit 1080 at 60fps.
    The reason is obvious, and that is that some developers up the graphics instead of the framerate, while other drop visual settings to get 60fps.

This is exactly the same thing that happens on the PC, the difference is that the dev makes that decision instead of you.

Why are you always arguing with people??

I'm not saying your a troll, but when you come onto a forum and argue black is white and vice versa, you are going to be called one.

I personally think Mantle and GSync will both fail due to lack of widespread support, and that ShadowPlay is nothing more than a gimmicky feature that is already there on new consoles and AMD could support if they considered it important.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013