Sony PlayStation 5

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by tsunami231, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Take away resolution, what does PC have? I'm playing Ratchet and Clank on PS4 Pro right now. It's incredible. I've played Uncharted 4, plus the expansion, God of War, Infamous and that expansion, Killzone, all the exclusives blow away anything on PC. PC needs exclusives again to take advantage of it's hardware. I'll gladly take an "under powered at launch" PS5. The first party/exclusives are where it's at. The PS4 one's look incredible because unlike 3rd party titles ...they aren't held to the lowest denominator which is the vanilla Xbox One. PC has so much power and is reduced to a higher resolution and a small lod improvement. And this has been the norm for a decade. It's not enough to justify the prices of GPU's these days to get you playable frames at the high resolutions PC boasts. PS5 will be worth every penny. Especially considering the life cycle of it.

dark_surge and serbicu like this.
  2. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    I think we've all been a little spoiled with console prices. Either that, or we're getting ripped off with the prices of other things in technology. Probably a little of both. I mean, I spent $1,000 on a Galaxy S10+, which is going to be obsolete next year. $500-$600 for a console that's going to last 5 years is a steal, in my opinion.

boodikon and Serotonin like this.
  3. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Exactly. RTX 2080 Ti, $1,200. In 5 years what's it worth and how powerful is it?

4. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Have to agree with you about the pricing. I would say that consoles have been great value compared to other electronics and especially comparing the life span. And I’m at a bit of loss when people start complaining about console prices, while at the same time shed double that money yearly on mobile phones. PS4 was 400EUR at launch, so I would say 500-550 seven years later is reasonable and would prefer a higher price over lower specs, personally.

dark_surge, Serotonin and serbicu like this.

5. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
  6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    What do you guys think of this idea? The possibility of Sony making it's own SSDs for the PS5? I think this could go very well or very poor depending on the price of the drives (IF Sony learned from the PSVITA debacle). https://www.pocket-lint.com/games/n...use-ssd-cartridges-suggests-new-design-patent I think it is a bad idea if this prevents them from supporting USB External Hard Drives and they charge an arm and a leg for it.

Serotonin likes this.
  7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Maybe it's an alternative to discs and they'll offer both? I don't know. I'm more into digital downloads these days myself. Keeping the price down will be hard, I would imagine.

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Another alternative form of media for the games. Never thought of that. Very interesting. I am the same as you I am more into digital content on consoles these days ever since Sony added External HDD support on the PS4 and it is convenient on Switch to have all games in one place instead of having to swap out the media that the games are on.

Serotonin likes this.
  9. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
  10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I wonder if they will set up a special announce show again. for ps4 was in februari , so lets hope its the same this time.

Serotonin likes this.

11. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  12. Yep, looks like the leaked devkit design was indeed a real thing. I can't wait to get my hands dirty :)

13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yup most definitely the dev kit. I remember saying that it looked like a VR headset.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    look huge with lot vents to cool it. wonder how big ps5 is gona be or how loud it gona be o_O

15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Good question I was wondering that myself. Considering the hardware that is going into the thing one would think that they would use more fans than they did in the PS4 or use a larger fan that was in the PS4. In my mind I think they would use more than 1 fan to help with the heat dissipation because of the hardware that is going into the thing.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    PS4 dev kit was huge too, look how the sound to heat ratio on ps4 ended up, and this dev kit look bigger. Here is to hoping they have better solution this time then they did for the ps4/pro

XP-200 likes this.
  17. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I expect nothing less from Sony than their version of the vapor chambers that MS used in the XBX, and as this summer gone has proven, it works, and it works very well, XBX just sailed though the summer and never seemed to break a sweat, so i expect Sony will have no option from launch this time round to get it right out of the starting gate, and i certainly don't want to see some cheap, not fit for purpose fanblower in there like the pro.

18. PS4 devkits are those boxes on the right of the image ^

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    and I bet they ran cooler and problem quiet then ps4:rolleyes:

BTW the ps4 dev kit look like A/V receiver hahah

20. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    would be nice if this was all true :D