Sony Playstation 5 Thread

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by tsunami231, Apr 16, 2019.

1. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^But how will that work if the onboard SSD drive is dead, how will the unit boot without the main SSD drive which i assume is where updates, firmware and bios info are stored?

2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3
    I'm guessing it won't. The only reason I ever changed the HDD in the PS4 was to swap it out for a SSD. Giving the option to backup the games to an external is a good idea for a failsafe.

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    I like how they release a tear down video themselves. That cooler is huge!!

4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3
    Reminds me of the Zalman Flower CPU coolers.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    what bad idea to have main drive solider on board drive fail I wont buy new system just for drive if it fail, consider ps5 games need to be on main drive from my understand it has fan filters? but you "cant" remove said fan filters from what i seen in that video or are just collection spot they hope the dust goes? and they can only be vacuum from 2 spots? hope it dont some get caked in cause vacuum wont work there.

Huge heat sink and big fan should keep it cool?! it nice that fan can be EASILY remove for cleaning WITHOUT take whole system apart , I dont like the idea is Liquid Metal used as last i check that stuff need to be reapplied ever 6 month unlike normal stuff that can go years and years most my system get stuff applie once for all life of system which is 5-8 years and run as cool as day I put it together so long as keep the dust clean from inside the system really wish they would take psu brick out of the system though. add unnecessary heat and wait to the system.

Time will tell how this all goes, but I very weary about main drive being solider in from what I been reading all ps5 game must be on the main drive? so if main drive goes you system becomes paper weight unless I been reading this wrong

As it stand right now I waiting, to get ps5, unless i happen to be right place right time they have system and just gota have system. as right now only reason I want system now is to play ps4 as on it with pro performance.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    They wouldn't use liquid metal if you needed to re-apply it every 6 months , you can be sure of that.

SerotoNiN likes this.
  7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3
    It was interesting that we didn't see what the thermal paste in the teardown video. Perhaps it doesn't need any?

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hope so, The did show the tim in video @ 6:09

I also read https://www.ccn.com/sonys-ps5-forced-button-change/

kind stupid to make change like that and japanese are not happy, I agree there no reason to do that, they could just did the simple thing and let them change that setting in the system system if the choose too instead of changing the layout of controller, and considering sony is japanese company why they would do it is rather confusing , bet they did it cause they didnt want pay the "cost" or make 1 controller layout for japan and different one for the rest world, when the cost difference would be negligible

Should just stop reading the stuff and wait till it out so i stop have urge to see if in stock some place, as much as i want ps5 that internal solider in drive is issue for me and size is even bigger issue I cant go from 2tb drive to 825gb and buy nvme drive that 2tb is like 300$ if not more that is half the price of the system.

I remeber when ps3 launched with 20gb and 60gb with price diffrence of 100$ between the 2 even back then the cost difference between 20gb and 60gb was not 100$ ,80gb back then was like 35~40$

9. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    You don't need to replace liquid metal, it doesn't harden or separate like conventional thermal paste, it'll easily outlast the life of the console.

SSDs are so reliable at this point the chances of it "Going bad" are extremely slim.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    well after looking video it look it that liquid metal is "seal" on top the soc so we would not really be able to replace anyaway more tech savey people use but most people it would be a no go

SSD drive like any other drive can go bad and do all the time and have main drive that solider in and there for cant be changed is BAD consider ps5 game need to be on the MAIN DRIVE

11. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    In ten years of using SSDs I haven't had a single one fail on me, fact is they are reliable, far more reliable than HDDs. It really won't be a problem.

If anything's going to fail, it'll probably be the Blu Ray drive.

12. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    All I know is new video cards may not even really exist. Xbox Series X is a weak PC since everything on it will be on PC. But PS5 has always had some great exclusives and out of the 3 it's the one pre-order I have and it still hasn't been canceled. Grabbed it the night they went out (a day early) and so far I'm glad I got it.

13. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3
    Oh yeah. I didn't noticed that part of the video. Metal that turns to liquid when it gets hot, interesting.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Just cause you never had one fail dont mean they dont. having a internal drive that CANT be replace cause it solider in is recipe for trouble this one reason why PC dont have solider in storage drives and there all replaceable, electric break and fail all the the time.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  15. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3
    Hopefully in that case it fails in the first year of warranty.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that would not help people that it happens to out side of warranty, general that is when thing tend to go after warranty is up. we gona see where this all goes and how much some of the choices made were good ideas

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Good news about the ability to use/run every single DSC-based PS4 game ever released...minus 10.

Very good news, especially when you consider you can buy a bargain basement collection of PS4 games for next to nothing, and, you can get brand-new games with the 'playstation hits' moniker, for barely $15.

That's a lot of content for day-one, especially when you can port your game saves wirelessly from your PS4 to your PS5...

Good news indeed.

[Official Citation]

18. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    cell chip was "beast" to develop for never mind completely diffrent architecture compare normal pc parts never mind fact that emulation completely different hw require usual 2-3x more power if not more to do it accurately without gltichs and other issue.

Best explain as to emulation is so hard and why is require so much power was explain by Byuuu who does BSNES/higan ect, he has nice article written up. and that just for games pre playstation. Pcsx2 struggle with ps2 games still there still games that just refuse to run at playable framerates and other that dont play.

Main reason why Sony is against is they cant "keep" re releasing the games and charge for it. they can do it just the dont want to they would lose profits from those "re releases" and it would also require them put the effort in to doing so.

I agree with the guy ps1/2 can and Might happen at a later day on ps5 but ps3 is just not really feasible

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  20. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti