1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Playstation 5 Thread

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by tsunami231, Apr 16, 2019.

1. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    The thing is, HW power means a lot. If it didn't, maybe we would see AMD on top.

Also, I wouldn't say Direct X is bad. The problem is there's so many HW combinations, it's nigh on impossible to code for whilst getting the most out of your work.

2. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Not sure i got most of that :)
    but it seemed to be all PC centric. On console it's different, you're not going through a generic "applies to all" API. Lower level. No PC HW/API combo can really compare.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Consoles are still especial MS consoles are based off Window and DX just just slimed down version of window and variant of DX. Sony last I checked is based off linux?

AMD drivers leave alot to desire in optimization some will defend it some will not . And alot easy to squeeze more performance out lesser hw when it same hardware and software is same for every person like it is in the case of consoles. I still amazed by what PS4 and Xbox One pull off considering there limitations. which thanks to them only have to optimize for 1 system config not 1000's upon 1000's configs

But I remember when DX12 and Vulcan first showed up and AMD show massive gains vs DX11 and OpenGL cause of the huge overhead DX11 had and how badly OpenGL was supported by AMD. and people on Nvidia cry why so little gains and AMD people went on about there huge gain over Nvidia, when both ignored that DX11 had way less overhead then AMD did at the time and OpenGL was actual support compared to AMD support.

HW Matters just as much as the software running it. You can have the best HW available and it will run like dog if software running it badly optimized just like Highly Optimized Software isnt gona save horrible underpowered HW like in the case of current gen CPU they horrible and no software update or clocking faster will will fix that, which is why current gen system run majority of work on GPU and not the CPU if it was running on CPU game would not look or run like they do on current gen.

When Physic is involved you can see how horrible under power the cpu is

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    I took the liberty to rename the thread title and sticky it.

on topic, 120hz support and ps4 game and savegame support is also coming.

drandiiski and serbicu like this.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I read the Next Xbox will support Xbox ~ Xbox one X game and even run them better. I REALLLY hope Sony does the same or less be left behind again in BC department. The fact it will play ps4/pro game out of the box is big seller to, even more so if it enhance those games. There both touting 8k and 120 fps I dont buy either I will be shocked if it actual does 4k@60fps stable with out this dynamic res crap.

assuming there will be 2020 launch window too seeing that is when next xbox luanches. one thing that worries me RT tech 800+ gpu struggle with that hows is consoles gonna handle that in the 299~499$ range

6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Im definitely going to be getting a PS5 at launch. I am hoping that External HDD are supported day 1 considering it is backwards compatible with PS4 games and some of my games are physical copies the rest are digital. So if there are no PS5 games I am interested in then I am just going to play my PS4 games until Some PS5 games come out that I am interested in. I am hoping to be able to transfer all my PS4 saves to PS5. Also I am hoping for Sony to continue to remote play app for PS5. I use that app alot when I was playing my PS4.

I am hoping that DS4 controllers are compatible with the PS5 more so than DS4 controllers with the PS3. I don't want to purchase more controllers until I have to.

7. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    It may happen that Sony will bring 2 consoles at launch, one normal PS5 and one Pro PS5, that will clearly separate the type of consumers, and avoid what happened last time when they announced the PS4 pro it could happen just as for this current generation.
    What is also weird, is that Microsoft also removed that middle console they announced back at E3 2018, and now they are going only with the cloud thing and the big Scarlet one.

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    With how powerful the PS5 is going to be I doubt very seriously that Sony will release a PS5 Pro. However I can see Sony releasing a cloud console to compete with what Microsoft is doing, The reason for the PS4 pro and Xbox-one X is how under powered the PS4 and Xbox-one were.

9. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Both consoles will be considered under-powered by 2023. It would not surprise me if they came out with refreshes like Pro/X around that time.

10. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Well, some of the best games I've played were on Playstation, and if we are gonna get those amazing first party games from Sony again, I will be happy, no matter how under-powered the future console will be :D
    And I have my trusty PC, to play all the other Microsoft and third party games.

11. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    The originality of PlayStation exclusives doesn't bother me about the high quality of graphics, they usually over time get the most out the PlayStation and I'm happy with that.

12. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    We don't know what kind of clocks the 8 will give, and really don't know how the gpu will stack up, especially since navi looks like a massively pre-gimped half-new architecture due to compatibility. I suspect this will be reversal, aka better CPU poor GPU.

13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Very true however I feel that both companies may have to upgrade the graphics more than CPU.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    imo every consoles ever released was obsolete and under powered they day they launched , cause in general the tech in them announced 2 years before it comes out. meaning by time it actual released it be replaced by something faster.

either way no GPU currently available can do ray tracing or what ever it called without huge performance hits and those are 600+ gpu so i dont buy the whole raytracing for 8k let alone 4k@ 60fps happening I would settle for 1080p 60FPS being mandatory at this point, resolutions below that are unacceptable and 720p even more unaccpetable.

playing disc/digital ps4/pro games out the box is huge plus to me. would be even better if sony actual got on board with BC for everything back to ps1, and enhancing them at this point is not power issue. it do they care enough to do something people been asking for.

Its generally monkey see monkey do in consoles gaming, so i dont see why sony has not done the bc seeing ms has been doing for while now. not only are the doing it there also enhancing games. and with the next xbox ms announce all game back to xbox will be bc

15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    With the Xbox 360 and PS3 I don't think those consoles were under powered at first but they were later in their life span when more powerful PCs came out. Yeah the reason why the PS3 may look like it was under powered is that no one could program for it at first but things changed after that. The PS4/Xbox-one to me those were the consoles that were truely under powered and obsolete when they launched because with some of the games they were not that much better than the previous generation. However I am with you that playing disc/digital PS4 games is indeed huge. Another huge thing would be if DS4/PS4 controllers were also 100% compatible with the PS5 like the PS2 was with PS1 and PS2 controllers and no just partial support like the PS4 controller is with the PS3. I also agree if Sony could add PS1 and PS2 games it would be awesome.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It wouldn't surprise me if both consoles are pretty much identical, if one side decides to go with more power then they are going to get beaten on price.

I am assuming they will be using very similar hardware though, but the whole RayTracing thing has me confused.

Hopefully the PS5 is really good though, as while i have always preferred their exclusives it was never enough to make me get a PS4.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I think seeing both sony and ms made deal to be used on the consoles, might lead to sony and ms making console together. could be interesting, could be bad could mean bc goes splat, could mean alot of things

18. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GT 840M
    Both consoles will be even more social media originated. I'll probably skip the next gen and build another PC.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    gah you are probably right, I think this socal crap should be optional with the ability to disable that stuff. that share button on ps4 is waste of button imo i dont use and wish there was way to out right disable the button all together then again I wish I could disable the fracking light bar light....

20. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GT 840M
    The light bar was only useful for multiplayer games when friends came round to play something, so you knew which controller they had. Even the touchpad was under used and pointless. Windows 10 is a good example of what happens when technology gets to the point we are at now. A mess.