Sony PlayStation 5

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by tsunami231, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    No. That's the point. No disk drive. Sony makes all their money from this console on their store.

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Or you can wait a bit (not playing the games at launch). I only buy their games when they are around €30. like 6 months later or so.
    Also personally i hate the sound of a disk spinning which makes things als a tat easier i guess.

3. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Put the console on Glass or wood to dampen the vibrations. Keeps it cooler as well.

SpajdrEX likes this.
  4. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    yeah it is on wood. I have removed the top cooler to keep it cooler. air flow is really bad with ps4's.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I gona bit further cause I will always console with disc drives....

It on wood and rubber feet on bottom on console has , soft vibration/sound damping material on its feet. so rotation of disc dont vibrate and make sound on the stand.

Does not stop the whirling noise of the disc spinning. but the disk dont spin much to begin with if ever, usual for minute once the game is booted up then it stops

6. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Too small a space inside and a plastic case dosen't help.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    what you mean by top cooler? you mean the cover for were the hdd cage is? not sure I would want to remove that cause then dust could get down in there. air flow is bad in the ps4 though. it dont help the fan curve for ps4 is base on load of the system and not the temp.

I really want to redo the thermal paste on ps4 but I dont trust my selve to be able to put back togther correct, I did with my ps3 and granted it was already dead at time I did for ps3, but I could not get it to go back together

8. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    The ps4 is based on temperature. if you remove the top cover it will make a lot less noise because the fan isnt going that fast anymore.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    is it now? how the system act could fool me. I will have to try that but I would only ever do when system is running even then dust could get in if do that. which would make things worse

10. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I dare you to try it. It makes a huge difference. some games otherwise sound like a vacuum cleaner. cant play like that at all.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    the system always soundlike jet engine or vacuum cleaner( think I like your way of putting better) I pretty much use my headphones these days. I can deal with fan noise long as it dont get louder then what ps4 get, cause that is at the end of spectrum i willing to deal with fan wise.

Coil whine is infinite worse to be which why I dont own a pro. If you know of really good video for CUH-1116A GTAV/last of us bundle I might think about. they do need to stop using plastic though think sound and heat would less of issue if they use materiel pc cases use which are general not plastic

12. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Even smart phones are all metal nowadays, so these latest consoles have no excuses.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    smart phones are power power full too consider ps4 cpu was more geared to mobile tech all there years ago

14. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Nah not really. Games wise you are still looking at PS1/PS3 graphics for mobile. Too small to be able to do big compute stuff.

15. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    I think very few people are talking about the fact that this console is huge!!! Like size wise!!! It’s really big, or rather bigger than any other console released until now. So they should be able to keep those high clocks up, especially on the GPU side.

Digital foundry is also pointing this out...

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    On the Pro you can pop off the entire top casing to reveal the fan, but as you say, doing so will only lead to more dust getting into the system more quickly, so yeah it is not a very good solution to the fact the pro fan just can't cut it when pushing 4k checkerboard, and of course Sony quietly fixed this isses with the later 72xx chassis models, but that is no help to everyone sitting with pre 72xx chassis.....so we can only hope the PS5 has some decent cooling this time around.

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Has there been a reveal of it's internal layout like the next Xbox?

18. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    No, not yet, they will probably show that next.

19. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    The Xbox Series X one was a bit funny. Must have taken all of 5 mins buying PC components to fit in the Lego box. Having said that. Good airflow, and solid build quality? So extra points to MS there.

XP-200 likes this.
  20. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    One thing that does concern me having watched next gen Xbox and Playstation videos is how they all have micro stutter. Camera pans show off stuttering on the PS, and load asset stuttering on the Xbox. Something is wrong.