Sony PlayStation 5 Dilemma: might be too expensive

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    It sure is a bold claim but I guess we'll see what magic RDNA brings to the table. We do have 4K@30fps today (One X) so it would indeed be quite a leap to double the performance.

2. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Does it matter what it's capabilities, power and price are? The thing that sells consoles are the games. MS have made some really bone headed statements in the last month or so firstly saying that they plan to no longer pursue format exclusive games and secondly claiming that the likes of Google and Amazon are their primary competition.

If Sony continue to kill it with the console exclusives next gen as they did this gen then I see no reason why it won't do well. MS seem to be a little confused at to what direction they are taking this gen of XBox. You have their head suggesting that they are in a better position to take advantage of cloud computing and game streaming while failing to consider that no matter how good their infrastructe is the biggest issue currently is the ISPs.

The thing is while Sony and Nintendo seem to be pretty clear about what their consoles are and what they are meant to do. I.e here's a console, here's it playing games and here's how you play the games. MS always seem to want to add a whole bunch of extras. The last XBox reveal had it being an always on thing with some POS motion control sensor and THAT was the big focal point of it. The always on was withdrawn within weeks of the reveal and they stopped selling the POS motion add on within a year.

While MS spent it's time getting it's sh*t together Sony was there putting consoles in homes based on quality exclusives and by then it was too late for MS to do anything about it. Now here we are the head of XBox talking about cloud gaming and streaming, talking about no exclusives basically talking about everything other than actual quality games that the console is expected to have.

Is it going to take another year for MS to get it's sh*t together and by then will it again be too late for MS to do anything?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Loobyluggs likes this.
  3. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti
    Personally i hope they go out $500, GPUs for us PC users are already moving up in bracket.... Ti above $1k.... none Ti at $800.

4. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    back in jan. the leak said :
    PS5 will launch worldwide in October 2020. Priced at $499 USD / £449 UK / €449 EU / ¥54,999 JP
    https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/emgm0f/massive_ps5_february_event_information_4chan_leak/

i think the price is reasonable enough.
    but well for console, nowdays multiplatform-age isnt like old-age... so except there some exclusive titles u really want to play, then u no other way than buy it
    otherwise u can simply play the game in platform u prefer

5. Fediuld

Fediuld Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    You should open the sitations as they direct to official SONY & MS financial sales reports for their accounts. They are not some unfounded post in wikipedia quoting some XYZ irrelevant website. They are official reported numbers submitted to their accounts.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Sony still won.

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    They own the patent for that - so, not as expensive as another company that do not own the patent, like Microcuck.

8. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    I suspect at launch even £500 will be too low as MS and Sony know they can assult launch buyers to the max along with the usual limited stock to inflate said buyers need to pay anything.

I personally will be waiting as i never buy at launch, and moreso for the PS5 because i want to see what Sony have done cooling wise with the PS5 as i never want another Sony PS Hairdryer under my tv ever again. Lol

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Agree with all points.

Games on a games console matter more than anything else - and multi-platform development is why Unreal Engine 4 is so dominating right now. You can literally hit one button and it will author your game to every single platform, and prep it for deployment on whatever online store exists...that's very impressive, and is counter to platforms.

Another way of looking at it is like this:

IF a company release a game using the Unreal Engine, and they do NOT release that game on a platform...no argument they have other than "we have a deal with X platform, and therefore will not release on any other platform", then, they are lying.

Fortnite runs on 7 platforms, btw - hardly any surprise that games makes the $ it does.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    This is way oversimplifying it - especially for a AAA dev that's likely modifying the engine / not using blueprints & using custom plugins. Hell I'm not even convinced this works without significant caveats even if you're using the stock engine on anything outside of a very basic concept.

Don't get me wrong, I think Unreal does a pretty good job at automating a lot of the process (especially if you're all blueprints) but it's not even close to one button with any real project.

11. Mundosold

Mundosold Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti
    Times have changed a lot. That was 2006. A lot of whales in gaming now. In 2006, there was the big uproar over microtransactions/DLC because of $2 "horse armor" in Oblivion. These days many people will drop $100s or even $1000s on loot boxes/DLC a year. Loot boxes are now a $50 BILLION industry. No one ever admits to buying them though.

There's also been the big trend of financing tech you can't afford. I think the goal is to get people to start financing $1000+ consoles. $41.60/month for 24 months, PSN included, option to trade in your console for $300 credit toward the next "PRO" console upgrade that gets released by then. Just like they do with phones. Microsoft already experimenting with these kind of plans and they are the standard that phone companies use. If they can do it with phones why not consoles?

12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    I was simplifying, but not that much. UE4 will author for all platforms it has the SDK for. The only differences remain more on the player input/controller setups that need very special care an attention to make the game playable on all platforms - but by no means do you have to do an entire rewrite of a game.

Conformity to platform is 'like, the last thing you worry about.

13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Bring that down to £30 for 18months and I'd consider it. That's my final offer.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Apparently this new xbox will be able to play all previous generation xbox games? is that true?

15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    No. Not true. Some, but not all, no where near the number of "all", more like...50 'classic' games, just to get people to believe what you wrote.

Confirmation bias is a very powerful marketing tool.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Damn... that would have been really cool to be able to just pop in any xbox game and play it in the one console.

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    ...and if that were the case, they would have made a machine with built-in competition for all of the vendors wishing to sell new games.

Why buy the new CoD, when you can buy all 97 of them for the same price?

18. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    People actually think this is expensive? Talk about entitled...

Back in 1990 i bought a TurboGrafx16 for $199 with the add-on CD-Rom for another $399. In today's dollars it would be like spending just shy of $1200. Neo Geo also came out in 1990 and that thing cost like $650.

... now that i think about it, both those consoles bombed. lol.

XP-200 likes this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nintendo always wins.

20. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Sony have lost me next gen with PSN. I just got my PSN renewal notice the other day and I thought. Why am I paying for this? I am paying Sony to access a slower, less stable, less secure version of the internet I already pay for. I don't use their service for anything other than playing the odd online game I don't care about ANY of the other features of the 'service'.

Nintendo just seem to do what Nintendo want, sometimes it fails but a lot of the time it works.

Maddness likes this.