Sony launches waterproof Xperia ZR

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 13, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Sony introduces an Android smartphone that can be used for underwater photography (up-to five feet). The*Xperia ZR is a new 4.6-inch, 720p Android smartphone that's waterproof to 1.5 meters (5 feet)...

Sony launches waterproof Xperia ZR

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That could be quite handy at the local nudist beach...
    (Or for those interested in doing actual underwater photography of fishes, plants and stuff like that.)

(EDIT: In shallow water.)

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Waterproof up to 5 feet? You know what that means to me? Non-changeable battery. It might have been useful if it was actually waterproof, 5 feet, what a joke. So it can be stored in the toilet where it belongs, not many other uses for such low pressure water resistance.

You know what Sony should launch? A web store which doesn't take an hour to load, lag and make PS3s crash. I just logged into my PS Network account for the first time in what must have been over a year and it demanded that I download a new PSN Store app... the lag is astounding. As bonus it's even worse than the old PSN Store, no more manual searches, one letter at a time, because you know... Sony assumes typing in a word is beyond the comprehension of console users.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  4. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I've completely lost track of which phone is what in Sony's alphabet soup of phones.

They should take a page from Samsung's book:
    Galaxy - Flagship phones, with full size and "mini" versions.
    Note - Extra large flagship phones and tablets, with naming by "size in inches"
    Tab - Low end Tablets, with naming by "size in inches".

It's simple and easily recognizable.

5. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    When are they gonna make diveproof phones? :)

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    When you buy the $999.99 DLC for this phone you get an online code for a dive proof one to use when it's released, but the code expires in 6 months, and you can bet it won't be released within that timeframe. You know, the usual.

7. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I wonder if it's as waterproof as the Xperia Z, which Sony say isn't covered for water damage and isn't even waterproof just water resistant and shouldn't be submerged, even though there is a picture of it submerged on the official site.

Galaxy isn't the flagship phones, it includes all of them, budget and all, galaxy ace etc.

8. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    the sony ericssons were the only sony-related phones worth a thing.

9. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Not really.
    Xperia Z's build quality is notably better than SIII or even SIV; on par with HTC One IMO.

10. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    i mean in terms of market success. the k800i was pretty freaking awesome.

11. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    Wow Neo.

Some sony hate going on there.

Not sure what lag your talking about, other then the store which is loading images up and a fair amount of data. If it was new install of the store, no cache would make it slower.

I've used all the consoles to date.

360 was a mess, awful build quality, cheap crap and hardly any decent exclusives. and paying to play online.

Wii or Wii u. Same old problem. MARIO MARIO MARIO. Kids machine with little mii's running around. Wii u is dying a painful death.

PS3 - Some sweet games, quality build and free online, browser is poorish, and I agree with your comment about search, same with youtube as well.

But overall it's been the best console this gen by a mile.

As for the phones, I thought the old Sony phones looked ok, but performed poorly and the screens were utter crap, that was when Nokia ruled the waves.

These days it's either.

APPLE - hate the way they operate, not enough control. no from me.
    HTC - A lot more open android wise then they used to be. And HTC phones look good.
    SAMSUNG - S2 still rox, and the rest are just excellent.

Sony is trying to jump in with the bigboys phone wise and had to bring something new. Some people will just get it for the underwater part. I just wish it was 30ft or something.

12. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    amateur underwater pron just became Public!

13. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    That's because people are still a bit miffed about their phones after the candybar era like the K810i I had extensively used (such as being accidentally dropped in heavy rains getting its batteries flew out a couple of times) for years before the screen pixels started bleeding out.
    There's only a gap of less than two years between that and the Note 2 I use now.

To Sony's credit, though, their Walkman phones (in general) sounded better than the iPods at the time, properly driving the in-ear phones I had (a Shure pair), without having to tweak EQs; the built-in speaker wasn't too tinny either.
    I owned a W810i for awhile before it decided to plonk down a toilet literally full of crap: that's when I first got my K810i.

They looked like they had used the shotgun method on trying anything new in order to get some customers away from Apple at the time, before Android made a dent.
    Now that Android has relatively matured, they decided to settle on the Xperia line, which is already quite good with their previous X10 tbh.
    The only reason they're still being overshadowed by the big boys in the smartphones arena is the amount of skepticism floating around, but surely not because of their phones.

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Skimmed to this part then stopped reading. Don't talk to me about consoles, seriously, I can tell it would go nowhere and nothing would be gained. We can have a pleasant conversation about something else.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  15. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Never had an issue with Sony personally and I quite like the idea of this phone. If the picture quality is good enough I could use it in the swimming pool on my holidays.

16. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Yeah, I don't like it when manufacturers can't come up with names. Lincoln did the same thing. I have no idea which one is an SUV, or a car anymore.

17. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Yeah, had one, loved it! The fact it came with 'mini golf' was enough of a reason to buy it, great phone it was in every other aspect.

18. Keely6

Keely6 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon
    How effective is the Xperia against condensation? An Apple repair guy told me that they've seen issues with people putting their phone into car cup holders and the remaining condensation from a drink, would get into the ports.

This is while I was waiting for a water damaged iPhone.....

19. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    I wonder why he'd say such a thing about the Xperia ;)