Sony is planning an improved PlayStation 4.5

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 19, 2016.

1. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I guess you completely missed the context of what I was saying... I'm not saying they should make ps4 games at 4k with lower graphics... I'm saying that the people who are saying that it will be Tetris level graphics at 4k are just being douches.

2. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Does the PS4 already support 4k streaming? Say with netflix or the like?

I'd be more likely to assume it would be getting that fancy new blu-ray player and maybe the latest HDMI socket for VR, than proper 4k gaming

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    No, I don't think I completely missed it. Although I don't know if those people were trying to be rude or if they looked at it from another point of view: That PS4 would be able to run only really simple 4k games. There's nothing preventing you from making a new, modern Tetris meant for 4k with fancy 3D graphics and whatnot. But it's still going to be Tetris and inherently simple, light on the GPU, even if it looked splendid.

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I very highly doubt Sony will be pushing for 4k gaming... more powerful hardware to better handle 1080p 60fps and VR is the likely reason.

I can't see 4K gaming being on consoles for quite a few years to come.

5. Minotaur

Minotaur Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 1080 GLH
    It would be very capable of achieving 4K etc. Have we all forgotten about what a 3DFX add-on card could do for a simple 2D Matrox graphics card? IMHO It'll be like that jump.

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Console upgrades have been attempted in the past. The n64 with its higher memory pack for example.

It's not that bad of an idea song is playing around with though, could cut costs of a normal ps4 down, and have like a premium class ps4.

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    And two rendering/development targets. Unless the "new" console is just about resolution/fps and nothing else.

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    It's very possible that Sony is only preparing plans to upgrade his console in response to MS intention to do the same.

PS4 with 1080/30 as "official" numbers fall short of expectations in this era of 4K and VR but Xbox One situation is a complete disaster.

If someone is a Xbox one fanboy i strongly advice him to avoid this article:

Next-Gen Is Failing Us: 'Quantum Break' Allegedly Running At 720p On Xbox One

(Quantum Break at 720/30 in Xbox One, article on Forbes)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  9. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Once released it'll be interesting to see the results...

Lets wait and see what Sony can achieve.

I see a locked 30fps or less frame rate at 4k on the PS4 unless Sony have a miracle.

10. Ryrynz

Ryrynz Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 960
    It's not anything to do with Sony really, it's all AMD. With 14nm tech coming out soon they'll have the power they need, It sure won't be cheap though. Anyway we won't see this any time this year.

Also no way they're going to offer anything in terms of better graphics besides the resolution bump, that's going to be demanding enough.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

AMD Zen based APU? It would be the only viable option, I can't see them making too much with Intel. The only reason why Intel would get into the console market like that is to hurt AMD, and if they do manage to do that Sony and Microsoft would be severely reemed later when they need new processors for their successor gen consoles.

12. Ryrynz

Ryrynz Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 960
    You're right, it would be. But damn this thing will throw out some serious heat.
    Probably would need HBM RAM too. I'd expect it to be probably twice the price if not more of the PS4.

13. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Ah, ok, thanks for the correction. This means they'll be using an AMD GPU and we'll soon find out if it delivers...

14. FordLynx07

FordLynx07 Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 DOC
    "Sony Play Station 4 OC Edition"

15. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I really don't think Sony has any intentions of making a console capable of 4K gaming any time soon, 4K video playback however would be a much more likely scenario.

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    What about graphics scaling to 2160P ?

Sony already have 1080P -> 2160P scaling...do you think it's possible the graphics could be scaled? If the answer is 'yes' then, Sony could do that for PS4.5 and we could see games @ 2160P, using 1080P or even 900P graphics.

17. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    That could be possible but it's not without its drawbacks, upscaling from 1080p to 2160p would probably come with some significant visual artefacts.

The really interesting part would be the possibility of less demanding games to downsample from higher resolutions and give you better image quality at 1080p.

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Well, they upscale from DVD resolution of 720x540 to 3840x2160 and it looks pretty crisp.

And this is just image upscaling, post processing...not on the actual game engine render/playstation render would it be - it's a separate chip.

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/blog-news-from-sony/inside-4k-what-is-x-reality-pro/ba-p/1346224 [related link for 1080P, not DVD]

19. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I think it will be called "Play station 4 VR" and will have better GPU for higher FPS at 1080p.

20. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Both consoles already feature hardware upscaling chips, upscaling movies and upscaling games usually has very different results, any aliasing from rendering the game at 1080p will still be apparent when upscaling to higher resolutions.
    We already see these kind of problems with the Xbox One upscaling from 900p or lower up to 1080p. Personally I've always preferred the look of games rendered at their native res rather than using upscaling.