Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo vs Xperia Ray

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by jmpnop, Sep 26, 2011.

1. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    I'm currently using Nokia E51 and decided to upgrade to an Android phone. On Amazon, Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo is cheaper than Xperia Ray. Features look identical and Neo infact has 3.7inch screen (3.3inch screen in Xperia Neo), ain't Xperia Neo a better buy? Am I missing something?

2. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3972&idPhone2=3734

i would take the Neo, bigger screen, and 8GB microsd instead of 4, but the ray is slimmer and more compact with touch sensitive control(menu, back, home) and should last more because of the small screen

anyway is just a 3.7" vs 3.3" difference for me

3. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Personally, Sony Ericsson phones haven't been good since the W810i days. Their Android offerings are quite lacking and Sony Ericsson is notorious for being slow on upgrading their phones to the latest Android revision.

Personally, stick with HTC or SAMSUNG, they know how to take care of their Android constituents.

deltatux

4. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    I was looking in $300 range and these two phones looked really good. HTC and Samsung don't have good phones in this segment. And why is LG Optimus 2X selling below $400?

5. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    They're that cheap for a reason, there's barely any demand for them because Sony Ericsson can't get into the market properly so they just try to undercut the competition.

As for the LG Optimus 2X, not sure, but I'd take that phone over the Sony Ericsson phones though since I heard nothing but good things about that phone even though I'm no fan of LG.

However, LG does update Android more frequently than Sony Ericsson.

EDIT: Amazon has the Nexus S for $390:
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Nexus..._1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1317097301&sr=1-1

deltatux

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  6. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I bought the SE Xperia Play a few weeks back, VERY happy with it in every way.

Screen is great, battery is great, fast & smooth, great for gaming!

It recently received the latest 2.3.4 firmware.

7. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    I got a great deal on Xperia Mini Pro (new 2011 version), should I go ahead with it? I know SE is slow with updates and such, even then do you recommend it? Or should I spend $100 more and get Samsung Nexus S? I heard Nexus S got 720p video, is that true?

8. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Nexus S does not natively support 720p, afaik its hardware just doesn't do it. Custom ROMs have basically upscaled it. The camera is the Nexus S' main weak point.

If you don't mind Sony Ericsson's sluggishly slow update policy, then go for it.

deltatux

9. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    What are the other alternatives in $300-$400 range? There's Nexus S, LG Optimus 2X, LG Optimus black and Galaxy S. Is Optimus 2X good? I heard it has a lot of problems....

10. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SE's 2011 line does not suffer anymore from 2010's Xperia's slow update. This was mainly due to Mediascape/Timescape implementation that was horrible for updating to a new ROM. The new series are updated fairly fast. SE also supports CM and modified ROMs (not officially) by giving the developers phones and drivers. 2011 Xperias also can have their bootloader unlocked.

As for demand? In the US its low, elsewhere its higher. They don't have a high performance phone out right now yet, but if you actually go use one of them, they are quite nice. I'll personally wait for next generation phones. All the current first-gen dual core ones have their own share of issues.

300-400 You should see if you want a larger screen or a smaller one. Styling is important too. I would suggest you the Ray as its a very pretty little handset that you can still keep around if you decide to upgrade next year. The Arc floats around low $400s. However, you'll need to decide between Performance/Looks as it'll be near the dual core phones.

11. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    400$, isn't that already enough for a Galaxy S2 for example?

12. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo costs $330 while Ray costs $370. Looks weird cuz Neo has bigger screen and others specs are identical...

Galaxy SII costs around $550, I don't want to spend that much since I'm buying this phone just to try out Android..

13. nes-vand

nes-vand New Member

GPU:
    sata
    Thanks for explaining these comparisons but I love both as they are most beautiful phone and I love to use them. I want some more Sony Xperia Neo Skins for my new xperia. I found that these skins really changes the look of phone and also protect it from damages. Thanks

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  14. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    What about an HTC One V? My friend has one and it is very nice :( You'd have a much better Android experience on this than one of the Sonys imo. £220 on amazon

[​IMG]

15. Schwarz621

Schwarz621 Member

GPU:
    4GB
    Between Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo vs Xperia Ray my vote would go for Xperia Neo.I have used this smartphone.Xperia Neo really has some good aspect.