Sony Buys $250 million in Epic Games shares

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 10, 2020.

1. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    No. It was pure coincidence.^^

0blivious likes this.
  2. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    takes shirt off

Rice > sliced bread.

come at me bro.

Neo Cyrus, Fox2232 and jbscotchman like this.
  3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I´m man enough to admit i´m right on this occasion, so better to leave it like this...:p

jbscotchman likes this.
  4. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    Just give me Gran Turismo 7 and I won't have to buy a PS5 so I can stick with the Xboxsex.

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    You never know..

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Or perhaps their largest market is mobile anyway, and they would like to see more of the platforms they port their engine to look a bit more like the PS5, which I can see why they would.

7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    For a company this size it would be murder. There are far too many ways for people to find out if they are lying, has it happened in the past? Sure but not to the extent that some people are claiming.

It's not like you are going to buy a PS5, open it up and find a HDD in there.

It's all truth with little white lies disguised with marketing talk. But they have to deliver something, take Nvidia and the RTX launch. They never once spoke about performance and only about what features were now possible. And the backlash from said performance wasn't that big or over blown because Nvidia never promised no performance loss.

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    This used to be a thing but now they use terms like "in engine", "work in progress", or straight up "not game footage". This just proves my point, I know you are going to mention the Killzone 2 debacle from over 10 years ago. In today's world, with so much information leaking out, with social media, why would they now chose to lie again and have the same backlash they had with Killzone 2 and that entire conference?

I am not saying there isn't a chance that they are over marketing it and that it won't deliver, it just seems to me that you think they are out right lying at every turn.

Of course they are going to sing and dance about their new hardware and say how good it is, they are sales men and women at the end of day.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Im sure the would have sacrifical chicken if they knew it would help too.

Honstly I though the sony buy $ 250m shares was joke when I read it yesterday else where, This real sony did it? Sony exlusive game soon to be epic store only?? i not sure I like that the PC sector for gamine need to stop with the "store" exclusive games that crap isnt helping with never ending store platform that need user name pass to log too just to lauch a fracking game

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    It could happen sooner than we think. Remember what happened to Metro Exodus? That was on the Steam store for ages before release and with only a few months left they pulled it and slapped it on the Epic store.

Sony are going to want something huge in return for their investment, its more than likely to get some of Epic games' IP for the PS5 or for some sort of special access to Epic's game development tools.

I agree with the multiple stores is BS though. I would be happy if we didnt have any and for communication with friends we just used teamspeak or discord (or vent lol). I am ok with Steam as its been out so long and offers so many features whereas these new stores are just locked walls that developers seem to want to put their game behind, all offer nowhere near the same level of features as steam and most of them are just there so the corporations can collect and sell your data.

11. Venix

Venix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    While i do not love any exclusives on any platform , i would say pc has it easier , compared to nitendo ps and xbox exclusives ... You have to buy the hardware to play em and have an extra system under your tv .... Meanwhile on pc you just have to download a free client... And done that's all annoying but competition is ALWAYS good for the consumer.

12. Obsidian_Oasis

Obsidian_Oasis Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070s
    "The statement mentions they plan to create new "real-time 3D social experiences".

Hmm... PS Home 2 for the PS5?

13. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Which company is bigger Steam or Epic??? Iam just use to Steam dont think I will Ever switch to be honest.

Off topic- 1 thing that pissed me off when they added Sales tax to games but thats more Goverment relizing the gaming industry is worth hell of alot of $$$$$.

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    So they got more money to pump into free games with surprisingly little funnel sales? Mkay.

15. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Doubt that will happen. Yes Horizon Zero is coming to PC but I am throwing money at the fact that's a PS5 marketing move.

Start by making claims about the abilities of the PS5
    Show PC owners one of the best games that came out on the last gen console
    Hit the marketing for the next HZD game hard and make it clear it will only be an exclusive on PS5

Hope that it converts a few of the less die hard PC folk to buying a PS5.

Now that's just a theory.

Can't see them releasing GT on the PC as the PC already has a vast wealth of racing games so I don;t think GT would actually make much of a mark were as something like ZHD is certainly unique enough to gain intrest with in the PC market.

fantaskarsef and Loobyluggs like this.

16. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    Oh yeah I don’t think it would actually happen but I’ve got no reason to buy a PS5 if not for that one game.

17. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I don't think Microsoft minds if ps5 games are on EGS. Actually I'm sure they would love that. They don't mind if you're on steam either, that's EGS's real competition. You're likely using windows either way.

Too much to be a coincidence. Should have known after they showcased ue5 for the ps5. They are working hand in hand. It's not a conspiracy.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    You guys realize that the engine is literally made to run everywhere (all these systems will run everywhere, from mobile to PC), and that their store can only possibly work on PC, right?

All of their real income is Fortnite on PC and mobile, and then the store, also on PC.

19. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I don't see how any of that contradicts what i said. All the above are true.

20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Context contradicts it. They are a PC / Mobile vendor, and large part of their income is selling a cross-platform engine. If said engine shows too much preference on one platform (the one they probably make the least amount of money from, after the Switch), they are shooting themselves in the foot, for an amount that is basically pocket change, if you see their market capitalization.