Sonos will brick the CR100 Controller to end support April 2018

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Intentionally break functional product ... out of support or not, its good base for suing them.
    Especialyin EU which is strongly fighting again planned obsolescense.
    This is really bad idea and will likely cost Sonos a lot if they pull it out.

3. Inquisitor

Inquisitor Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC Hybr
    Is it not just better to send out an advisory notice to all customers saying they should replace their batteries?

Just completely stopping a product of theirs from working because the battery is old seems a bit silly.

Maybe they're worried of having a Samsung type incident on their hands but doing this will not earn them any favours either.

4. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I would never buy a product that had something as stupid as this looming in it's future !

Everyone KNOWS batteries are the weak point of any mobile device, a $399 one use battery sounds like a bad investment. Especially when the device is not the kind you feel any need to regularly upgrade.

Crazy when you also know you can relatively easily put a new battery in it.

5. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    I use my phone/ipad for controlling my Sonos speakers. I didn't know this product exist :p

6. ruiner13

ruiner13 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080
    I’m guessing if they just gave that $100 asa refund instead of a Sonos credit it may pass the smell test more. At least then you can buy a cheapo android tablet to replace it and get more functionality. Can amazon devices control Sonos yet?

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Something seems off about this. I didn't watch the video, but the article didn't mention anything about people actually having serious problems related to the battery. For such an old product, you'd think Sonos would say "why should we care anymore?". Or, it could've been cheaper and more pleasing to customers if they offered a service to replace the battery. To me, it just doesn't add up - there must be something else that they're trying to do that customers would be even more disapproving of, but blaming the battery is an easier route since that's a scary thing people don't like to take chances with.

Meanwhile to contrast this situation, when companies like Lenovo or Samsung have real battery issues in current-gen products, they try to sweep it under the rug as quickly as possible.

xIcarus likes this.
  8. sonos stuff all sucks anyways. Like Bose, it is a company for those with more money than taste.

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Except, bose is good. Anyone who says otherwise is just salty.

xIcarus and airbud7 like this.
  10. Bansaku

Bansaku Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64
    " According to the EEVblog, this is completely ridiculous... "

One can't argue with Dave, and I agree! Replaceable batteries and Sonos claims this is the reasoning? I call BS!

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I had no idea about the existence of this product before this thread but it's an asshole move to brick otherwise functioning hardware. Just disable online services on your end instead like samsung with its smart TV's. I remember logitech doing something like this with a remote and being blasted online for their trouble lol.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Bose is good, but not great. They're overpriced and over-marketed. It's the brand you go for when you've got money to burn and want an upgrade, but you don't feel like doing any research. It's kinda like people who buy Alienwares - they're not bad, but even if buying a pre-made computer, that money is better spent elsewhere.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    thats new one purposely put out update out to brink something to have people get newer? yes! that something new indeed

Even if there give customers 100$ off a new one the new one is probably couple hundred to being with it.

14. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    It's soemwhat better than what Apple did, isn't it? No, Apple didn't brick its older phones, but secretly release an update that caused older iPhones to slow down, leading many users to upgrade because they'd thought their older phones weren't good enough for the newer IOS. Now, that's sneaky..

15. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    That's youre opinion, troll...

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

apple phones still worked though, even though they did it in secret. Sono is out right saying they gona brick it which will give people no choice but to get new one. that or people will go to diffrent brand what sonos is doing is no better then what apple did

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Just a little... I don't own any of their products, but I can understand people being upset if they paid for the product and now it's manufacturer is saying that they're going to intentionally make the device non-functional against the wishes of the device owners. I'd be willing to bet it's more about money than consumer safety...

Having an opinion that differs from yours doesn't make someone a troll.

I agree with his opinion....as do a LOT of other people.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it always about money, and sonos want to people to stop using there old stuff and buy there new stuff, I was gona buy sonos speakers from crutchfield cause they got good reviews and but now frack no. no matter how good there stuff is if they purposely gona brick there products I will getting from some other brand

Keitosha likes this.