1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sometimes it seems that RTSS can't "keep up"?

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Smough, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Smough

Smough Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I don't know who else has this issue, but at some games it's like RTSS creates slight fps drops and stutter, if I disable it, the small stutters stop. I either try borderless full screen or full screen with Full Screen Optimizations to get correct frametimes, as well as RTSS, I always test the games to see which of these alternatives gives me smoothest experience. But at some games, RTSS it's not giving me optimal results and I can't understand why.

Say I limit a game to 59.990 fps on a 59.995 Hz screen I will notice that the frames either drop to 58.9 or 59.something (59.8, 59.7, 59.6 fps) and then it will catch up again, despite the frametime always showing 16.6ms.

The problem is that this happens way too often at some games forcing me to look for other alternatives to get better frame pacing. Please note that not all games have this problem, only some. A game that gave me this problem heavily was Middle Earth: Shadow Of War. Turning RTSS for that games does show that it "lags" the game sometimes, also happens at other games, some more and others less, others work perfectly fine. Do I have something in RTSS missconfigured?

2. dimonoid

dimonoid Member

GPU:
    gtx 1070 mobile
    What is the reason for you to use rtss? Do you have gsync/freesync compatible monitor?
    I never heard that 59.990 fps limiting solves any issues. How do you measure framerate and frametimes?

3. Smough

Smough Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I use RTSS at some games because some PC games have a really faulty frametime that ranges from 20.0 to 11.2ms to 15ms and keeps jumping around. RTSS keeps it at 16.6ms, this is very important to keep gameplay smooth without a small hiccups during gameplay. RTSS is not the only way to achieve this, but generally it's the most practical one. FreeSync or G-Sync have nothing to do with my issue and I never tried RTSS on any of those screens.

Also, you should read this, seems you have no idea what I am talking about: https://www.blurbusters.com/howto-low-lag-vsync-on/

4. spajdrik

spajdrik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    Have you tried Special K injector?
    While there is no special config for SoW, playing with Frame rate limiter could help.
    Disable fullscreen optimization option in the game shortcut properties sometimes helps too.

Smough likes this.

5. Smough

Smough Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Seems I will have to try the Special K Injector, thanks for the suggestion! It seems RTSS on this game is not doing the trick.

6. robnitro

robnitro Member

GPU:
    XFX RS RX 480 8gb
    I've found that if I set the limiter to exactly the 59.99 hz of my monitor it will have stutter in games. However, if I use 60.5 fps in RTSS with vsync enabled, the stutter is gone and frametimes are very smooth. It's not exactly 16.7ms, but more around 17ms which I can live with to have less fps dips. I think in some heavy games, there's a spike in use that not even d3d usage % can see and having that extra 0.5 fps seems to buffer that spike or help it recover faster.
    Let us know how special K works for you!

7. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6950 2GB
    There are various ways to cap the fps. Some methods work better with some games, other methods work better with other games. RTSS is often the best option, but certainly not always. When RTSS isn't giving me satisfactory results, I use RadeonPro to cap the fps. You could also try out Dxtory or GeDoSaTo. Unfortunately, both RadeonPro and Dxtory only accept integers.

I heard good things about Special K, but haven't tried it out yet. Keep in mind that you generally do not want your fps higher than the current refresh rate of your monitor, as that will add input lag and, depending on the engine, microstuttering/jittering. Some games have absolutely no problem with frame rates that exceed the refresh rate, however.

Smough likes this.