Something may be wrong with my DVD Drive...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mkilbride, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Ok, so I wanted to run Memtest86, so I downloaded it, burned it to DVD and made it a bootable DVD. I read on their site this should work just fine.

So I set my Boot Priority to DVD Drive first, as I usually do when using a Bootable disk.

So it restarted . . . nothing happened.

No idea, because usually it asked me to "Press any key to boot from disk" on a black screen, but that didn't come up this time. I checked in Bios, and it said CD-Rom was still first boot priority. I checked, and normal DVD's run, i.e, movies or games. So I inserted my Windows bootable disk to see what was up...and it doesn't work either.

I tried pressing F12, which is a feature of my Bios to use a "Fast-boot" to select what to boot fast without editing the Bios. This did not work either.

Please help, thank you.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Unless things have changed you need to run it from a bootable floppy.

Otherwise if it's an ISO image, you need to burn it with an image burner like MagicISO or Alcohol 120% etc...and make the disc bootable.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  3. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Things have changed. They have an .iso image you can run from a DVD, it's on their site.

And I did use said programs. I'm unsure as to what the problem is.

Nevermind, I had forgot to make it the Master Drive, it seems, which I've never needed to do in the past...but yeah, it works.

I did 50 minutes - 0 Errors.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009