Something is wrong with the mailing service

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Kyaner, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyaner

Kyaner Hellenic Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 700/1680/1000
    Ok a few weeks back i started a thread about the e-mail notification not working, i did a bit of testing and yes Hibert u where right about Hotmail being the colprit cause suddenly it desided to declare the Guru3d e-mail junk mail and i had forgotten that my junk mail gets automatically deleted.

I removed that option and now the guru3d mail notifications end up in my junk mail folder but at least they do get delivered, i tried to transfer the guru mailer to my safe list but i got this msg from Hotmail

The necessary information from the 'From:' line of this message is missing or corrupted. Junk Mail Filter options cannot be set without this information. The message has been moved to your Inbox.

I have manually added the webmaster@guru3d.com to the Safe list but it's still not working.

So can u give me some info on what is going on here ?

Edit: The address from the forum amiler now comes up like this :
    I think that's what is causing the problems... Hotmail amongst other free mailers cannot properly resolve the guru mailer address so it gets filtered as junk mail.

Thanx in advance

Last edited: Jun 29, 2003
  2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We removed webmaster@guru3d.com from the return address as people think it's funny to insert that address into spam servers.

And no, it's not your problem.

3. Kyaner

Kyaner Hellenic Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 700/1680/1000
    Erm ok so what can i do about it now to be able to get the e-mails from here, instead of them ending up in the junk folder ?
    I can't put them in the mailing list or the safe list cause there is no obvious mail address to put there...

Any ideas ?

Thanx again

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    There's nothing I can do. Hotmail is placing that restriction not this site.

5. Kyaner

Kyaner Hellenic Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 700/1680/1000
    I didn't say it's your fault, on the contrary i do realise the need to protect the mailing address of the forum so that it isn't abused in any way.

I was simply asking if there is anything i can do to prevent the e-mails from ending up in the Junk folder and i am pretty sure that it is a problem for more than a few users in here because most of us use free based mailers.

6. Dave

Dave Don Fredo Corleone

when you find a email from guru in your junkmail folder, click on the button that says this is not junkmail, it'll pull guru outta the filter then.

7. Kyaner

Kyaner Hellenic Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 700/1680/1000
    I tried and this is what i get from Hotmail

The necessary information from the 'From:' line of this message is missing or corrupted. Junk Mail Filter options cannot be set without this information. The message has been moved to your Inbox.

:/

8. Kyaner

Kyaner Hellenic Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 700/1680/1000
    A simple

"sorry i don't know anything about Hotmail or how to fix it"

would be better than just being ignored....

9. RaZoR_Blade

RaZoR_Blade Guest

im not using hotmail ...so whats wrong ? why i dont get mails to my ISPs email adress?

10. Dave

Dave Don Fredo Corleone

kyaner, if you reread this thread, hotmail is taking the emails from guru3d and putting them in the junk folder. The reason for this is because there is no valid email addy in the return line, too many people use those address' for spam. it's a catch 22. there isn't much that can be done about it.

11. Kyaner

Kyaner Hellenic Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 700/1680/1000
    Yes i have realised that the problem is with Hotmail, since u guys removed the e-mail address from the From: field for security reasons.

But as u can c it's not just Hotmail having the problem, some ISP's wont accept e-mails without a valid assress on the sender part.

Anyway i guess i can't do anything about it.

Thanx Dave and Hilbert.

12. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Nothing we can do about it.

Topic closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.