1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something curious :D

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by xankazo, Mar 8, 2008.

1. xankazo

xankazo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    A friend of mine has Plumb's "candycoatedwaterdrops" album in MP3 128 kbps format. I have the same album but in FLAC, ripped directly from the original CD. We were comparing both formats and when we got to the 6th track (God-Shaped Hole) we noticed something really curious. In the FLAC version, at the beginning of the song we could clearly hear some kind of digital drum in low frequencies. In the mp3 version it was completely missing. Both songs are identical in time length and composition, except for that drum.

My question is, could lousy MP3 compression suppress a clearly audible instrument like this? Unless there are two versions of the same song (I doubt that) this is a good example (apart from the obvious audio quality) to convince my friend that low-q mp3 sucks. :)

2. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    Yes, MP3 compression can ruin a song!. Especially at 128kbps or less. The acceptable standard is 192kbps or a variable bitrate between 192 and 320kbps. FLAC on the other hand doesn't have loss, I also fell in love with it when I heard Pink Floyd's "Echoes" both in FLAC and in 192kbps (even at that level I could clearly distinguish a missing note).

3. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256 525/1400
    No audible difference with some lower end speakers like the Z-5500 of course. I'm sure there are some other things you're missing out that wouldn't be apparent with your speakers.

4. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    FLAC. Beats. MP3. Hard.

I actually mentioned this post on Head-fi on the same topic :)

5. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Doesn't really matter, with lossless formats you are still losing audio quality, whereas with FLAC you don't lose any, FLAC > all :D

6. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256 525/1400
    I realize this. You don't understand the point I was trying to make.
    He says he only noted a difference with a digital drum sound. My point was that there is probably more that he is missing with such bad speakers.

7. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    MP3 was designed as a lossy compression method in order to save space.

Now with broadband connections and large harddisks etc we should really use uncompressed formats.

I think if we pay for an mp3 download it should be at a very reduced price.

It seems to be, apart from those people in the know that mp3 is considered as an uncompressed format?

I believe there is still a need for mp3 on portable players and instances where quality isnt as important, but if were paying you should be entitled to the full quality version as well as the mp3 version.

Even the Xfi card cant work miracles and make mp3s perfect.

8. xankazo

xankazo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    even if the Z5500 aren't that good, I can still notice a few differences. but I do get your point. getting some audiophile grade speakers is in my list, even if not in the not-so-near future. first, I need to upgrade my Audigy 2 ZS.

FLAC is great, but how does it compare to some other lossless formats like APE, M4A, etc?

9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Lossless is lossless, so it should all sound the same. The only real issues then are compression ratios and player support.

10. xankazo

xankazo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    That's exactly what I mean Rob. which lossless format offer the best compression without compromising performance, let's say for foobar?

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Sorry, Not the one to ask about that. I only use Winamp and haven't really bothered with other formats. FLAC does what I want..although I am pretty sure they all have a very similar compression ratio....Could be wrong. Just grab a new HUGE HDD and enjoy some lossless music:)