Someone just Hacked my kids Steam account.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by nz3777, Jul 9, 2020.

1. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Hi guys what can we do to get our account back my daughter is 12 and she is not aware of scamers ect.... I received an email saying the email itself has been changed how is that possible and has anyone else had this problem as of late?

We have well over 100+ games so you can imagine thats $$$$ I just wish I could catch the little shithead that did this. So if i open a ticket w steam will they actually answer me? Thanks for any help on this matter....Oh and just 6 months ago all my games on Origin have gone missing too wtf is going on? Nz

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    What's going on? Your emails and passwords, and literally everyone else's, are hacked constantly from various websites. People reuse passwords so people get a hold of these lists and try get into accounts.

But yes, support will respond to you, have bank statements or online banking ready because they'll likely ask for purchase dates and amounts, then change your passwords.

Set up 2 factor authentication on steam in the future.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Btw if the hacker was able to change the email that means the hacker also has access to the email address which was associated with the Steam account.

If you change account linked email address Steam will send a verification message to the old address.

dark_surge likes this.
  4. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Like mentioned steam support will help you and you get the account back.

But 2 auth is really a must. Especially for things like steam where are a lot scammers.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Sounds like you need to scan your PC for malware / clean install to be sure if two different accounts are hacked

6. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    If you can corroborate the approximate timeline when you bought certain games (Steam send you email receipts with each purchase) with bank statements - they should be able to get your account back. That is what happened when my smurf CS:GO account got hacked.

Good luck, and change all your passwords if you haven't already.

nz3777 likes this.
  7. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    Don't ever use the same pw for a game service and the linked mail account. When Ubisoft was hacked Ubisoft reset my pw and i had to log in to my mail acc to reactivate it via button. When i logged into my mail a warning message popped up : "Number of failed login attempts since last visit: 10".

I dodged a bullet that day.

AsiJu likes this.
  8. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    1070GTX
    probably a long shot.. but i do believe that complex passwords are also important. most people don't use complex passwords.
    if a person's private email contains important things and it's connected to several platforms like Steam for example.. a suitable password is viable in my eyes.
    i don't think that having numbers, letters and using caps lock makes a password complex..
    people are smarter than that :)

i hope Steam will help ya buddy, they usually solve those things very quick.

nz3777 likes this.
  9. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Vision OC 24GB
    nz3777 likes this.
  10. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    She got the account back yesterday looks like Steam responded quickly (i am suprised) they made her take screenshots of something not even sure what i wasnt paying attention 2 be honest. The account was originaly mine I gave it to my daugnter so she manages everything now.

Thanks for all the help guys appricate everyones input. Stay blessed gurus.