Some questions to owners of Nec EA271Q and Eizo EV2760 or similar models

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by midix, Jun 4, 2020.

1. midix

midix Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960
    Hi all,

This might be a long read, so excuse me. I feel I have to provide full context to increase the chances of getting useful answers.

I'm writing with a hope that you can help me to find a good 27" monitor for my somewhat unusual requirements.

Choosing a monitor has always been an issue for me because I am a visually handicapped since birth.
    My vision is stable and good enough for working as a programmer (been working for 12 years already).
    However, I have to use displays at closer-than-normal distances (20 - 30 cm for me is the comfort zone) and at non-native resolutions. For this reason, I am sensitive to different kinds of monitor imperfections that might be unnoticed by most people, for example, backlight PWM flickering, pixel fluctuations because of inaccurate Vcom, uniformity and viewing angle issues.

It is good to see many companies nowadays offering flicker-free displays with blue light filter. However, there are still some important issues that cannot be deduced from publicly available specifications.
    One specific example is vertical viewing angles. Most IPS panels claim to support 178° (H), 178° (V) angles. However, when putting two monitors side by side, their behavior is noticeably different. As an example I provide you with links to two videos that demonstrate the issue:

All four displays in the videos are IPS or PLS panels with claimed vertical viewing angle of 178°, so, in theory, they all should have also equal angular image brightness change, when compared to each other, right? However, it is clearly visible how two of the four tested displays behave strangely. When vertical viewing angle is changed, there is some kind of a moving shadow much like on older TN panels. Of course, at a normal working distance this issue would go mostly unnoticed. However, in my case, when viewing at a closer-than-normal distance, this moving shadow is noticeable with peripheral vision and can cause unpleasant distractions when working with text on brighter backgrounds.

Currently I am using Viewsonic VP2365WB and now, after serving me well for 10 years, it is showing signs of dying. I chose it after multiple comparisons and returns, based on what was available to the company I'm working for. This monitor does not have the unpleasant moving shadow effect and looks very uniform and feels paper-like when reading.

I would like to find a good replacement with larger size and higher resolution (because it would provide sharper font edges at non-native resolutions) and, after reading many reviews about many brands and models, NEC and Eizo models seemed like my best option to get a good display with the very first attempt. However, I'm not sure which of their current IPS/PLS models are free from that "moving shadow" issue.

To summarize, my desires are as follows:

- better than average brightness uniformity, especially for white color
    - ability to turn backlight down to very low values (at least down to 60 cd/m2 would be very good)
    - well-configured VCom to avoid pixel fluctuations
    - no weird "moving shadow" issues I described above
    - color quality adequate for doing basic web design and hobby-level image and video editing; advanced color management features are not needed
    - better than average backlight bleeding for dark colors
    - ergonomic features do not matter to me as long as the display supports VESA 100x100 mounting
    - connectivity does not matter much - a single HDMI is all I need

I would like to fit into my budget of under 1000 EUR (I'm located in Europe, Latvia), considering that I don't need professional, advanced features, but only a basic, high quality display.

I would really appreciate your suggestions, especially if you can provide information based on real experience and not just on-paper specifications.

Do Nec EA271Q or Eizo EV2760 satisfy my requirements? Can their brightness be adjusted to very low and are they free from that "moving shadow" issue that's characteristic to some IPS panels (it can be checked with a simple video test)?

Thank you for reading this lengthy text.