Some questions!!! plz!!!!!

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by evilkelvin, Jun 10, 2009.

1. evilkelvin

evilkelvin Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 XFX BLACK
    Hey guys! got an exam in 2 days... there are some True and False q's which im not too sure about...

The likelihood that a brute-force attack can succeed in cracking a password depends heavily on the password length
    TRUE OR FALSE
    (i was thinking TRUE, but not sure...)

Internet email accessed with a web browser leaves files in temporary folders
    TRUE OR FALSE
    (i think FALSE but of course not sure)

2. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Well yes it does depend on the length, although it doesn't help if it's a long dictionary word.

There needs to be a long password, with lower and upper case letters, symbols and numbers. Then the brute force attack with random combination of them would take an unreasonable amount of time to crack (10years + etc)

Leaves files, all sites leave files depending what's clicked, Remember me etc.
    Generally a good webmail client should delete all files so that it can't be used against them.

So it's not exactly a matter of True and False, both questions have both answers depending on the situation.

3. evilkelvin

evilkelvin Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 XFX BLACK
    hmm thx yeh my lecturer said somethin about some questions will be ambiguous... sigh

4. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    If we are going pretty generic, I'd say True and False in that order too.

Still VERY open ended and not a simple answer.

5. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    eVga GTX 260 Core216 896M
    True for first one. Password length will definitely limit brute-force type attacks. Here's a pic of a rough example.

[​IMG]

2nd question is false. Temp files even left behind will require a login to the online service, hotmail or yahoo to open them. AFAIK.

6. evilkelvin

evilkelvin Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 XFX BLACK
    yeah but evidence of the email is still left in the temp folder isnt it? even tho u cant open it...thx for all everyones help tho!

7. evilkelvin

evilkelvin Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 XFX BLACK
    btw this exam is for computer forensics... fairly fun but again i dont think the exam should have a TRUE and FALSE section in it, makes it too hard to answer....

8. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    eVga GTX 260 Core216 896M
    My understanding is that it can't be opened without requiring a login or should return a permission denied. Live mail, Yahoo and Gmail are all fairly secure.

9. Jem

Jem Active Member

GPU:
    Leadtek6600GT/ATI9800pro
    I learned 10 years ago that whoever sign up yahoo email or enter login & password, yahoo inserts something in registry. You can open regedit to see what yahoo put in. I think its special conceal way to ID you or your pc like big brother.