1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some, not all, older applications take several seconds to launch in Windows 10. Help?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Size_Mick, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I have my Windows 10 pretty well buttoned up with firewalls and hosts lists and soforth, so I'm guessing this must have something to do with Windows trying to contact an external server to check to see if my app is a virus or something, or possibly look up some kind of program compatibility settings. Or maybe MS is just spying on me, who knows? The point is, a couple of my older applications take a long time to actually start.

For example, my main image viewer is Faststone Maxview, which they discontinued a long time ago. When I open a jpeg image, it will take as long as 10 seconds for the program to start, even though it's a tiny program. Another slow-loader is the Win7 version of calculator, which also takes a long time to start. What is interesting is that once I've loaded one of these slow starting programs, if I open them again they start instantly like normal, until I reboot my PC.

On the other hand, I still use Nero 6 (and when I install it, Windows even warns me it won't work) and it always starts instantly and works just fine.

Any ideas as to what's going on here? It's not a massive problem or anything, just annoying. I can try to troubleshoot by viewing log files and monitoring processes and such, but I'm hoping some genius here already knows what the problem is and can tell me how to fix it :) Google was no help here, because it could only return stuff about Windows 10 being slow or all programs loading slowly, etc.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    windows smart screen.

akbaar likes this.