Some help please

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Tattoer, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Tattoer

Tattoer Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD5850
    Ok its time to do some shopping and i dont have a bit bugged to do it. I am willing to spend around 400€ for a new psu and gpu....
    I am a proud dad now so my main focus is my child, so i need some tips what to buy so i could play my games smoothly for a nother year or more if possible.
    Was looking at Tagan PipeRock TG700-BZ 700W for 140€ and Gigabyte GeForce GTX 275, 896MB, PCI-E (GV-N275UD-896H) for 240€ or Sapphire Vapor-X ATI Radeon HD 4890, 1GB, PCI-E for 220€ ...

I was or am a nvidia fan but i cant decide here so please help me out now....

2. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    both the GTX275 and Radeon HD 4890 are great cards. The better question here is your monitor specs. If you have 24" or larger monitor then go for the GTX275, else, the Radeon HD 4890 is more than good enough to power almost any game u throw at it (Crysis is still a bugger).

As for PSU, stick to OCZ, Thermaltake, Corsair and Antec.

deltatux

3. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
  4. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Afaik, Tagan makes some decent PSU's.

About GTX275 vs HS4890, if you like Nvidia, go with Nvidia and if you like ATI, go with HD4890.

I would go with Nvidia, that 20€ isn't that much and I like Nvidia more than ATI.

5. Tattoer

Tattoer Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD5850
    Thank you for the replays, i am using 22"samsung and 32" lcd tv for some games and movies...anyways i was leaning towards nvidia and i wanted to hear some of the gurus say "go for nvidia"....

Ok i am going for Corsair TX-750W for 125€ and Gigabyte GeForce GTX 275, 896MB, PCI-E (GV-N275UD-896H) for 240€...

Think this will hold for a year or two? Thoes diapers cost a lot :/

6. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    That PSU will last 2 years as long as you stay away from dual gpu solutions.

At 1920*1200 that GPu may run out of juice, but if your ok running games at medium settings then should be ok.

The problem is that more and more PC games seem to be bad console ports which need more than 2 cores... What I'm saying that you might need to upgrade your CPU next since it may not last 2 years.

7. Tattoer

Tattoer Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD5850
    Was thinking to upgrade my cpu to Core2 Quad Q9400 2,66GHz for 195€ ...october is my birthday :)

Hem what about my old gpu? Any chance to use for some thing, lets say PhysX, is it posible that my old card will handle this...i know about changing diapers not this:bang:

8. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    lol, then i guessed u already made the decision, why bother asking lol.

For me, for a 22" monitor, I'd say is more than enough for the Radeon HD 4890 but up to you. After my GeForce 6600, I went ATi 'cuz in the price range my budget's in, ATi wins.

deltatux

9. Tattoer

Tattoer Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD5850
    Nah i was asking for opinios, as i said i am more of a nvidia fan but cards these days are so close i just didnt know what way to go. And you asked me what monitor am i using? I play some games on my tv (wireless conttroler and a sofa + some good old homegrown is a must for me) and eventually i will buy me a 24"

So what about my old card and PhysX....what are the options here?

10. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    lol, alright, looks like the GTX275 is your best option. If your board supports 2 GPUs, you can set PhysX on your older card while leaving the new card for rendering.

deltatux

11. jonathen85

jonathen85 Active Member

GPU:
    Inno3d nvidia GTX 275
    Yeah good choices. I've got the same PSU - it's top quality. The GTX 275 card sounds like a good choice for your budget and circumstances, just make sure you choose a good manufacturer.

You can get the PSU from overclockers or ebuyer for good value:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-011-CS&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1084
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/134677

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009