1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some help on which Card!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Xerus, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Xerus

Xerus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS
    Ok i have a TI4200 64Mb it is a great card, but i need more power. So i have been looking around for a new card. I dont want to spend to much money. here are the cards i have been looking at. Can someone tell me which would be the best in value, o/c, raw power?
    1. 5900 non ultra 128Mb
    2 9600 Xt 128Mb or 256Mb
    3 9800 np

Any other suggestions for dif cards? I would like to keep the price under 200 or at least 225. The cheaper the better. ive heard that for the money the 9600xt is really good but i dunno.

2. BFA

BFA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX470
    5900 non-ultra by XFX - $196.00 on Newegg

less risk of running into problems during gaming w/ it

3. Xerus

Xerus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS
    anyone else have a opinion before i hit buy?

4. Xerus

Xerus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS
    i also noticed that the xfx version has a 700 mhz memory speed. when the bfg has 800 memory speed

5. BFA

BFA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX470
    Albatron = 405/810 - $209.00 @ newegg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2003
  6. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    700mhz mem speed = LX/SE version.
    800mhz mem speed = Non Ultra version.

dun get the 9600xt, its not a very worthwhile upgrade. The other 2 u mentioned are great cards and i'd go for one of those definately. It's hard to choose between the 9800np and the 5900nu, so it may well come down to price and/or availabilty.

7. Twinke Masta

Twinke Masta Guest

9800NP all the way if you can find one ;)

8. ZioniX

ZioniX Maha Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek WinFast A6600 GT TDH
    Yeah, the 9800np is the best option in your list; however getting it under $200 is tight. :)
    The cheapest card(in your list) is the 9600XT. It performs very well in current games and might be sufficient if you aren't looking @high resolution gaming with AA & AF on. However, upgrading to that, from a GF4 TI4200... well it does offer slight increase in performance(most of the time) and certainly more whenever AA & AF is used; and of course it has Dx9 capabilities... BUT the question: 'is it worth or not?' is debatable. IMO it's not.
    As for the FX5900 nu, it's behind the 9800np(most of the time and whenever AA & AF is used and in fact even behind an ATI Radeon 9700pro - check this one too but they're rare today) but above the 9600XT. It's quite well priced though(according to most online store, it's cheaper than the 9800np today).
    But first choice remains the 9800np. :)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2003
  9. Ultraq

Ultraq Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6800GT AGP
    If you really want more power like you say, pick options 1 or 3 on your list. #2, the 9600 XT, wouldn't feel like "More power MUWUAUAHAHAHAHAH!" like you want. It'll be more like "More power eh? What the... where's the power?!?! I WANT POWER!" :p

10. TheGoatMan

TheGoatMan Guest

You will have ridiculus amounts of power with the 5900. I highly recommend the BFG Asylum 5900. Cools really good and overclocks like you wouldn't believe.

11. MJ

MJ Guest

I've been wanting to try an ATI card for awhile now....but frankly their drivers scare me.....good cards...bad drivers. In all the NVidia cards I've had I've never had one single driver prob....I just install the newer one over the older (never the other way tho) and they work great. My buddy has struggled with his 8500 from the get go driver/gamewise. In fact he had so much trub with the Halo demo he dumped it...although I have to admit it IS crap code......but any feed back from you dual brand owners would be nice ;)

12. ZioniX

ZioniX Maha Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek WinFast A6600 GT TDH
    Funny though... all 'dual brand owners' I've contacted, recommend the ATI cards over the nV ones.
    Saying that the Catalysts are bad while you haven't use them recently, is complete ignorance. I don't say they are bug-free but at least it's nothing near the constant crashing or game compatibility probs we've heard.
    And BTW the Det or Forceware aren't trouble-free either... if it was then we wouldn't have seen all those thread crying probs in the nV sections, isn't it? :p
    However, performance-wise ATI has the overall better card and this isn't ignorance. :D

Last edited: Dec 22, 2003
  13. NeoFX

NeoFX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 1280MB
    I noticed that Newegg doesn't have the 203 dollar Albatron GF FX5900PV non ultra ... They day after I bought mine it was not on the site anymore... I checked the next day and it said "out of stock" but then since I have not seen it anywhere on Newegg :S ... The PV is a bit faster than the EPV version for Albatron.. 400/850 vs. 405/810

14. NIB

NIB Master Guru

If you can get a cheap(below 220-210$) 9800np(BUT NOT SE/LE or other crap) get it. Otherwise get a 5900nu with 200$ or a 5900light with 180ish.

15. WarheadMM

WarheadMM Master Guru

GPU:
    Asylum FX 5900NU
    if you want great cheep card go with FX 5900nu. If you want a card with RAW power and great AA go with the 9800np

16. TheGoatMan

TheGoatMan Guest

I'll lay this out for you. Nvidia renders images using 16 and 32 bit. Meanwhile ATI uses 24 bit image rendering. Of course the ATI is going to be faster because 24 bit isn't as stressful as 32. Also if an image is meant to rendered in 24 bit mode then the nvidia has to drop to 16 and this sacrifices quality. So when you see tests where the Nvidia is far behind with AA and anistrophic filtering thats because they are rendering images using 32 bit as supposed to ATI's 24. Of course in 32 bit Nvidia is rendering a better image than ATI's lower 24. That also explains why Nvidia cards are such monsters. They need the extra power because they are doing more work.

17. TheGoatMan

TheGoatMan Guest

Ok I completly missed the subject. get whatever is cheaper of the three. They are all great cards.

18. NIB

NIB Master Guru

Maybe you should read a little more info before you start posting things like that. You are a little confused(which is logical cause you havent read many things so you are trying to repeat what you have read so far but you kinda fail) and you confuse other ppl too. No offense.

19. TheGoatMan

TheGoatMan Guest

I didn't know exactly how to word the paragraph seeing as how I only read the article once. But anyways explain why I am wrong smartass instead of saying it. Oh whats that you can't explain. Thats what I thought. You are a real bastard you know that. Its not very useful telling people they are morons without explaining why. So go ahead. Explain why I'm wrong.

20. TheGoatMan

TheGoatMan Guest

Here I will explain it again so understand me using simple and not to scary words. ATI's are faster with higher settings becuase they are true 24 bit. Nvidia is 32 bit so it is a bit harder to run high fps. So in simple terms, the more colors, the slower its going to be. Now if you don't believe me you can actually read some other reviews other than the benchmark scores ok?