Some GeForce RTX 4070 Graphics cards May get a 16-Pin Power Connection.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Gen 5 power socket, with a half wired adapter.

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If I end up with 4070, I wouldn't mind using the old connector. My PSU is only a few years old, so it certainly doesn't have half of its coils in the grave just yet.

4. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Common misconception. You don't need a new PSU for 12VHPWR standard, only a new cable from your PSU maker (or just use included adapter that comes with every GPU).

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Good, then everyone not capable of plugging in a connector can shut up.

Why_Me likes this.
  6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    What's the misconception? I said I have nothing against continuing to use the old connector because my PSU doesn't even have the new connector. You know, if I had the new cable for my PSU, but still had to use the old one with a new graphics card, it might feel strange. Who knows. Kind of like using DDR4 with a CPU supporting DDR5. Not quite since there's no performance penalty, but sort of.

Last time I checked, EVGA doesn't sell (or donate, haha) the new cable for PSUs that didn't include it straight from the box. Maybe that has changed. It was a while ago that I checked.

7. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    The only good news so far. :D

8. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Misconception is many people think they need new PSU for 12VHPWR connector. Corsair even released the statement and confirmed that pretty much all of their PSUs lineup released last 5 years is fully forward compatible with 12VHPWR cable and there is absolutely no need to buy another PSU. Your DDR4 vs DDR5 comparison is not valid in this case.

Why_Me likes this.
  9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Hopefully all external power required cards go to the new connection so we stop needing more then one connection for all cards (except the crazy HOF cards that might add two 16 pin) and we completely abandon PCI-E power cables, that would be the most ideal situation

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    could always just have external gpu now that have there own power. and all that heat would not be in our pc anymore consider how power hungry gpu seem to be going now. not that this would help the current crazy of many everything double down on power consumption

11. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I can't speak for many people, not being a politician, I can only speak for myself, and I have no misconceptions. Or if I have, it's about whether EVGA offers a new official cable to their older PSU models or not.

I already admitted in the original post the DRAM analogy was kind of iffy because there's a performance penalty. I just didn't want to spend many a minute to come up with a better one.