Some BF3 questions + crysis 2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by methanol88, Oct 28, 2011.

1. methanol88

methanol88 Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 5850+sapphire 5970
    Hey, a few questions,

1) How is battlefield 3 in ultra@1080p for you 5970+5870 trifire users? Does the 1gb ram restrict it much? Or it will be buttersmooth as it appears to be for many people? If you could post some of your min/average fps it would be awesome. I pre-ordered it and expect it in 1-2 days here so i want to know what i should expect myself.

2) Same question, but about crysis 2, i have massive slowdowns when i turn the camera, then everything is great, and even better when i reload the savegame. Is this expected? i ve seen people with worse than my rig play the game smoothly. Oh, setting tess at 4-8 provided a nice boost, but still. (Cat 11.8, win 7 64).

3) My rig holds fairly nice even now, however i m concerned in 3 areas. Buy an SSD, new ram, new PSU?

My pc boots up quickly, but takes half/1 minute to show all the icons @ desktop and to be able to start a program like firefox. Only msn is set to open in msconfig. Will the SSD prove to have such a high impact on that and overall?

Secondly, my ram is the only "gimped" part of my rig, its a kingston value one, triple channel etc. Was one of the things i regret now. Will changing to a better kit or even going over 6gig's provide any difference? And will a better ram have any impact in gaming?

Lastly, i used to have hard restards on my pc when i upgraded to trifire by adding a 5850 when i OC'd even 5 mhz, whereas i could run my 5970 @ 900/1200 stable alone. Invest on a better PSU and OC as much as i can on my cards?

Thanks in advance, sorry if something has been answered.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    More or better ram won't improve your game at all...

3. methanol88

methanol88 Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 5850+sapphire 5970
    fair enough, meant overall though not only gaming, thanks however

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No your ram is fine, but an SSD should cut down your boot time.

5. methanol88

methanol88 Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 5850+sapphire 5970
    bump for first two questions please!

6. Brandon_34

Brandon_34 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 690GTX
    I aquired a second 5970 to run quadfire and I can tell you in crysis 2 it's the drivers. My 2500k system with a 6970 single card I get 30-50 fps ultra settings smooth. BF3 I get 45-70 fps single player and 30-50 multiplayer ultra settings 4x msaa smooth.

The 5970's in crysis 2 run like crap unstable frames. Bf3 140fps but a stuttering mess.
    Battlefield bad company 2 quadfire shines same with dirt 2 but crysis warhead 8x aa the game won't even launch. lost planet 2 benchmark crashes. heaven benchmark runs terrible. Since they have not fixed the multi gpu problems in crysis 2 by now I don't think they are going to.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  7. methanol88

methanol88 Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 5850+sapphire 5970
    Thanks for the input, glad to see its not only me in crysis 2, though i m not interested in finishing it anymore anyways. Good to see that at least fps wise BF3 plays nice, hoping for a stuttering fix soon! Same performance as you in dirt2/3 and BC2, however i have great performance in crysis 8xAA and my lost planet 2 benchmark doesn't crash. Thanks a lot friend.