Some 800 x 600 games won't go fullscreen in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by BarryB, Aug 27, 2017.

1. BarryB

BarryB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Currently trying to play Return to Ravenhearst from BigFish Games but the game will only go into an 800 x 600 window in the top left corner of my monitor and won't run fullscreen! Windowed mode is fine in that I can drag it around my 1920 x 1200 monitor but it's still, 800 x 600, Alt + Enter doesn't work on this game so can't go fullscreen using that!

Have the latest NVidia 385.41 drivers on a GTX 780 and Windows 10 LTSB 2016 and tried all the scaling options in the control panel like scaling on the Display or GPU, no difference, running in various compatibility modes like XP and Vista does nothing. Even running the game inside a fullscreen XP VM does the same thing bizzarely enough!!

Anyone come across this or able to shed any light on this issue? Other than keep dropping the res to 800 x 600 everytime, that's the only way to make this game fullscreen but I have to change it back to 1920 x 1200 each time which is a pain!

2. BarryB

BarryB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Well, I've found a command line utility called Display Changer that can auto switch the res to 800 x 600 then back again! Initially it said my system didn't support 800 x 600 despite me being able to change to this resolution without a problem. It seems it's the 59Hz problem as I had to create a custom 800 x 600 resolution and set it to 59Hz, once I did that then it worked!

Installed the 64bit version of Display Changer and created a .bat file with the following command to run the game:
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\12noon Display Changer\dc64.exe" -width=800 -height=600 /c "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mystery Case Files - Return to Ravenhearst\ReturnToRavenhearst.exe"
    Now when I launch the .bat file the game goes full screen and when exiting the game it will set the display back to the original res, in my case 1920 x 1200!

One other thing though, one of the puzzles runs too fast so making it virtually impossible to complete, so that's another problem to solve! :(

3. RealNC

RealNC Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
  4. BarryB

BarryB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Thanks!

It sort of works, I can use a 'start' statement in the batch file to run the game then run BES to throttle the speed of the process, but the game still has the same issue with the one puzzle running too fast, although it's actually slower running at 40% speed, it's still too fast but managed to complete it after multiple attempts!

5. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Gaming X
  6. BarryB

BarryB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Yeah, that does work but screws up all your desktop icons! I think because the program you want to run is in a 'borderless window' your desktop icons get shifted as a result of the resolution change as it's not running in true 'fullscreen', so when it goes back to your original resolution (in my case1920 x 1200) most of the desktop icons are out of place. I'm not wanting to have to sort my desktop out after every use of this program :(

Same for anything running in a window at the same time like folders and programs, they will get resized too, and if you have applied the same folder settings to all folders then all of them will open re-sized too! It's a nice program but causes too much hassle with re-sized windows and desktop icons!

Display Changer manages to run the program fullscreen without screwing up the desktop icons!

7. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Gaming X
    hmm, i didn't notice that. I usually Hide desktop icons in windows desktop.

8. kastriot

kastriot Master Guru

GPU:
    Z-AMP.extr-GTX980 1.5GHz
    I you have some old laptop or desktop play it there.. :)

9. BarryB

BarryB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    I don't, and thought running it in a VM under WinXP would work, but it didn't so found Display Changer and it works!