[SOLVED] RX 580 - Overheating after applying new termal paste :(

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by srdjan1995, Apr 5, 2020.

1. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X R9 270X
    I haven't, but I ordered new ones. Well, they are not exactly bad, but not all of them are that great either, so I will change them just in case.

2. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X R9 270X
    So, I played a 5 minutes of RDR2 right now, temps were around 83-84, touched the backplate, and it was almost cold, it doesn't draw the heat away. Touched that spot in the middle, where the chip is supposed to be, and it's hot as hell. I've checked screews multiple times, but they seem tight enough. Also, fans go over 3000 rpm, and when I exit the game, they don't turn off, I have to go to watmann and set them to manual speed, then return to default and turn zero rpm on again.

3. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    rx580 SapphirePulse
    If you leave the card for 5 minutes at idle it will lower the fans auto, this model does this at temps above 80.
    You can use plastic washers to make the screws more tight with the gpu.

srdjan1995 likes this.
  4. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx2080 superXS
    I used the fist Ceramique and it was great for gpu`s and cpu`s but i found the 2nd release a step backwards in reducing tempetures but that was a few years ago.

5. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS DUAL-RX580-O4G
    When you will have the GPU "opened" again try this:
    1.) Clean precisely the chip and the heatsink from old paste.
    2.) put just a very tiny "point" of the paste on the chip and screw back the heatsink
    3.) unscrew it back and check if this tiny amount of paste was properly spread by the heatsink on the chip. If not, there is some big gap between the heatsink and the chip.

BTW does anyone tested Grizzly Minus Pad 8? They looks pretty good with great thermal conductivity...

And I see that they have also Carbonaut pads which should have even higher thermal conductivity then IC Graphite (62.5W/mK). But it's also electrically conductive...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    srdjan1995 likes this.
  6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Fortunately pads don't ooze out onto the circuits :)

7. Diakon8

Diakon8 New Member

GPU:
    290x, 1060
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    When you originally reapplied the paste for the first time, was it really the only thing you did? Not change thermal pads or anything?

It doesn't make sense reapplying paste caused this. For some reason the heatsink doesn't properly press against the GPU heatspreader anymore, more than likely.
    Also if you did nothing to the thermal pads in the first place then changing them now shouldn't make a difference either as far as core temp goes.

Perform the check Benik3 mentioned above first. If and when you find there's no proper contact, you are probably missing washers or something from under heatsink screws
    (=the screws "tighten" before HS gets pressed on GPU properly etc.).

Plus like has been said, tighten the screws in a diagonal order little by little.
    If you fully tighten one corner first, HS will not be even but tilted.

9. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X R9 270X
    Just to let you guys know the issue with overheating is now fixed. :) Will update first post with how I did it. Thank you all for your help, it is much appreciated. Stay safe folks! :)

Undying and Krteq like this.
  10. Jumy

Jumy Member

GPU:
    RX480 11260-20-20G
    see the voltages, sometimes drivers do what they want (powerplay table), the good duration of a card is to end the guarantee 2-3 years
    generally the thermal pad are crap, always try and look carefully at the contact between gpu-ram-vrm and heatskin
    almost all heatskin are poorly designed, almost all cards have assembly problems
    be very careful because it takes very little and the effort to remove heatskin breaks the welds made with the ass gpu-ram module
    another problem is the flexing, heatskin weigh too much, make a support, a pen cover a piece of wood are enough
    avoid thermal pad with adhesive, quality thermal grease is very important but don't believe in sponsored miracles, a good application makes more difference
    always clean everything perfectly, i use toothbrush with acetone (women wiping their nails) and alcol,
    remove surface treatments always
    don't be afraid to mod your heatskin, take care back side... backplate is always a problem, if you have heatskin in back side try always first to remove it and particularly his thermal pad, is better without or make some holes (aeration)
    and then final load check

Cross tightening always

srdjan1995 likes this.

11. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 56
    Excellent choice of TIM.
    It has no thermal pump out.

srdjan1995 likes this.
  12. OldMX

OldMX Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX 580 8GB
    I had the same issue repasting my Aorus RX580 with Artic MX-4, even waiting for GTA5 to load (the part where you're way up on the sky above the city) it rocketed to 85°c, repasted with GD900 the core and memory modules and now temps wont go past 75°c.

srdjan1995 likes this.
  13. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X R9 270X
    You've put paste over memory modules? Is it safe to do? Haven't ever tried that, so i dunno.

14. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 56
    NO, do NEVER use paste on memories. Not because it's not safe, but, because of height differences with the gpu die.
    Unless the card has a complete separate cold plate for the memories, you need to use the correct thickness thermal pads. Otherwise, there won't be heat dissipation.

srdjan1995 and Undying like this.
  15. OldMX

OldMX Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX 580 8GB
    Yes, just a tiny drop of paste, checked contact on heatsink and it marks as if a thermal pad was used, didnt drip or anything.

My card is off-warranty, so not a big deal for me, but it worked and I'm ok with it.

16. Jumy

Jumy Member

GPU:
    RX480 11260-20-20G
    always better of wrong thermal pad, grease is real, pad is near fake thermal.... wrong or bad grease warms, wrong or bad pad burns

a bad grease is near a quality pad in real use... think in real, avoid marketing and fake review

17. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS DUAL-RX580-O4G
    I just repasted Pulse RX580 for friend which was used for mining and bought as used.
    I just replaced the paste on chip with Grizzly Kryonaut. Didn't touch the thermal pads (I don't have replace, but I just ordered EC360 Bronze which looks like good ratio between price and performance - 8W/mK).
    Temps dropped down pretty nicely :) After some stress test in kombustor I got 73-75°C.

srdjan1995 likes this.