[SOLVED] RX 580 - Overheating after applying new termal paste :(

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by srdjan1995, Apr 5, 2020.

1. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X R9 270X
    Hey guys... I need help here. So, I've tried reapplying paste on my RX 580 4GB (Sapphire Pulse), and after I did, temps are now 83-84 deegree when gaming, and CORE is fluctating, it is dropping below 1366 mhz (which is stock clock). I've tried oppening graphics card again, cleaning, applying paste again, but it's the same.
    I changed the paste because temps were a bit higher already, but core wasn't doing that. I did this many times, and never had a problem like this. Paste I used is cooler master e1 ic essential. GPU is only a few months old, and I should have went to the store with this, because I voided the warranty not, but due to the covid-19 that store is not working atm, so I decided to do it myself.
    Should I get a better paste or what? This ony usually did the trick on GPU's I had before, like MSI Gaming GTX 960 2GB, or AMD R9 270X 2GB.

EDIT:

The issue is now SOLVED, finally!
    What I did is this:
    Changed thermal pads with new, 0.5mm ones (Sapphire Pulse uses 0.5mm pads). Only on the back of the GPU I've put a 1mm one (one between board and backplate).
    Cleaned chip and heatsink, replaced paste (I used Noctua NT-H2, and I've put a bigger ammount of it).
    Then of course put everything back on, tightened the screws, and put the GPU back in case.
    Tested it in Furmark stress test for about 30 minutes, temps were around 74-75c in full load, while fan was at 50-53%.
    It wasn't like this even when I've bought it, as fans were much louder.
    Played RDR2 for about 40 minutes, all is fine, core is stable (no longer dipping below 1366).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    SpajdrEX and Krteq like this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    probably not using enough of it.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Why did you reapply paste on a gpu few months old? It was not necessary. My 580 barely breaks 60c while gaming and its 2 years old.

Like @Astyanax said try using more of it or use different paste.

RzrTrek likes this.
  4. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X R9 270X
    It was over 75c for me, in games like RDR 2, it was 80c. I had to use a manual curve to get a 75-76 mostly, and fans were over 2500 rpm then.

I tried using more, but it's not ok. I will try using a different one. Which do you recommend?

5. G13Homi

G13Homi Active Member

GPU:
    5700xt 50th
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Probaj neki Arctic mx lako ih he naci u Srbiji oko 10evra posto Grizzly neverujem da ima i skupo je.

srdjan1995 likes this.
  7. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Ideally, I would suggest you try to reapply again and upload a pic of how much paste you're using. Also, and this is trivial, but double check you have the heatsink on tight.

anticupidon and srdjan1995 like this.
  8. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X R9 270X
    Vazi buraz, pogledacu. Nasao sam ih na kupujem prodajem, ali videcu prvo u nekoj radnji ovde, ako radi sta, ako ne, narucicu. Ne znam koja je fora, ali eto, kod tebe 60c, kod mene bilo oko 80c u normali, sve zavisno od igre, u nekim manje verovatno, nisam stalno ni pregledao. Verujem da bi temperatura trebalo da bude mnogo manja.

Undying likes this.
  9. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS DUAL-RX580-O4G
    1.) Use good paste (Grizzly Kryonaut, Arctic Silver 5...)
    2.) Don't use too much of the paste (but of course also not too less)
    3.) Don't spread the paste manually (it will probably cause air bubbles), just make a nice blob in the middle of the core and let the heatsink to spread it itself.

srdjan1995 likes this.
  10. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X R9 270X
    I will try to get one Undying mentioned, Arctic mx. Probably the one I used is not good enough (coolermaster e1 ic essential). Tried applying it 3-4 times, different methods, but none worked, and temps are high when gaming. At idle, its around 33-34.
    Anyway, thanks man. :)

11. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx2080 superXS
    Isn't AS5 conductive.....i`d use Kryonaut or even hyrdonaut....they perform about the same within a couple of degree`s, also dont tighten the screws one corner completely at a time...you`ll get uneven pressure, start with one corner then the opposite a bit at a time until all screws are tight enough

srdjan1995 likes this.
  12. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 /AMD v7
    Possible reasons for it:
    1. Not enough paste.
    2. Not enough pressure to GPU core.
    3. Too much pressure to GPU core. Card bends, paste spreads uneven, so...

For GPU I personally use Kryonaut or Noctua paste. Latter spreads better, and has like 2 degrees less temps, so...
    Ah yea, I always use credit card or so to spread :p

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    srdjan1995 likes this.
  13. gabsvm

gabsvm Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
    A friend of mine did the same with a 580. Like i told him, you use too much. Put like a rice grain in the middle, heatsink pression will do the rest. He did that and problem solved.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    No, it's capacitive.....which is just as bad

15. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X R9 270X
    I did that, but it did not work. Will get a better paste and try it again.

16. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    rx580 SapphirePulse
    Arctic Ceramique 2. Use this. Zero pump out effect. Above average performance and lifetime service. For the pads i used k5 pro. Same card.

The problem is that this card need a thermal paste that is not so watery.

srdjan1995 likes this.
  17. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X R9 270X
    Will Noctua nt-h2 be good? I've already ordered one. I'll try to get those pads, if I can in Serbia

18. Thadeus

Thadeus Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580
    I did the same with my RX580 Sapphire 8gb a few months ago with thermal grizzly kryonaut paste. At the first start the card hit 85°C and turned itself off afterwards to avoid overheating.
    Problem was the new thermal ram pad. I used a 1,5mm thick pad but the headsink couldn't touch the GPU heatspot anymore. I fixed it by using a 0,5mm thermal pad and the temps are now between 70°C and 73°C with 135watt gpu load shown in the AMD overlay.

p.s. you can never use too much paste. check gamers nexus youtube for this.

p.p.s Havent seen an aircooled RX580 with 60°C with full load on it - ever!

Chess, infinityWrx and srdjan1995 like this.
  19. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Pulse
    because the Pulse is one of the worst rx580, I can confirm
    imho not enaugh pressure

20. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X R9 270X
    @Thadeus Thanks man, will check it out. I just ordered Noctua nt-h2. Yeah, 60C for me seems too good to be true, but, who knows.
    Will order termal pads too, just have to find good ones. So, should I go for 0.5mm thermal pads, or 1mm?