(SOLVED) M2 SSD terrible read speed

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Markgpl, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    I have my main game installs on a WD Blue 1tb M2 drive, everything went perfect but my oldest install is red read redemption 2, which almost a year ago started to run terrible, load times and texture streaming time increased to broken states. I tried to pinpoint the issue for months, to no avail, i have build my friends computers which are a notch lower than mine in specs, noone had the issue but me.

Thinking about a happy random bug i played less and less, only way i could play semi decently was to preload, quit, then many files were cached probably by OS so i could go in relatively fast.
    Two weeks ago i grew tired of the problem and checked system load and the only thing busy was the drive at 100%. Thought how bad can this game be when everything else runs perfectly plus 32gb of ram is plenty enough and i have page file on an alternate smaller ssd.

Since i got a nice deal i got an apacer pciex3 nvme ssd, and damn, while i was moving the folder, the transfer speed was single digit mb/s, threw other files from other drives to test at the same time (synthetic test prior to use showed healthy 2500mb/s on the new drive) it maxed out the read speed of the origin drives.

Western Digital Dashboard shows everything on green. Other game installs run perfectly drive is less than half full. I would really like to know the hell is happening with rdr2 data. Nothing has a red light anywhere, synthetic drive tests goes to top of SATA interface with no issues.

Trying to copy files to HDDs also drops to single digit. Been years since i were so clueless.

Update #1 tried installing chipset drivers, nothing changed. Writing from the nvme to ssd goes perfectly fast. Why it cant read to any drive while running detailed test like atto shows perfectly normal behavior.
    Update #2 copying 100.000 plus small files for 60+ gb from my sata small ssd (system partition and small partition for games and page file) goes above 100mb/s the new drive is terrific.
    Update #3 copying to HDD rdr2 data shows same issue, copying other folders maxes out HDD write speed. What im seeing here
    Update #4 Read something about samsung tlc drives getting super slow with old data, which is the only pattern similar in my case, since this is a tlc drive with slc cache and writing is unaffected

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  2. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    boot into a linux distro via a live usb stick or similar and see what happens, also make sure to uncheck in the "windows options remote differential compression" its in the features under add/ remove programs in the control panel compression.
    Sounds like the game has many many small files so is slowing down transfer speeds also try trimming the SSD

3. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    Thanks for your input, rdr2 doesnt have many small files, it has solid 4+- gig files. The only logic im founding so far is data age, it was the first game installed on the drive since 2 years ago. Newer games dont have the problem, new data writes and read fast. Im running a full drive refreshing with diskfresh, it is nauseating to rewrite the entire drive but as soon as it ends, will check reading the data again and see how it behaves.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    could trying doing clean install of the game? alot my steam game installs are year and years old transfer from drive to drive and now to my SSD. some times I had to delete install and reinstall the data to my data/game sdd to see any sorta difference but most games dont really benefit from ssd imo. atlest not the game i have and or play

5. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    Short update (omw to work) diskfresh is taking more than 10 hours to rewrite 400+ gb, some sectors fly, others crawl, im betting this was caused by data age. When im back from work will update and edit title. I really need a tool smarter than the wd dashboard which says all is ok but old data was slower than a pendrive.

That was it, data age made the drive drop from 500+mb read to less than 5mb/s sustained, incredible, after diskfresh i copied the 122gb install in less than 4 min full speed.

There should be a tool provided to test data age/performance this was ridiculous. No firmware updates avaiable, i've made sure drive doesnt turn off in case the controller is doing what it should and power plan were preventing any self maintenance. This is a fresh install after more than 5 years so i couldnt confirm if my power plan was properly set before.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    SSDS are supposed to periodically run refresh cycles to move data in stale nand zones to keep them "fresh"

7. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    Indeed, some manufacturers recomended idling in bios for 30 minutes for hands free self management. I cant recall but i always disabled drives turning off on my energy plans to prevent HDDs from stop-start which is worst for endurance than spinning for the full cycle. I wouldnt know since this is my first fresh install in many years. I will check in 6 months to see if this unit has some defect refresh wise.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    Data age or bad cells.

I do not believe in data age to affect read speeds because I do not understand supposed mechanics of such aging.

9. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti GamingZ Trio
    Data age does not sound real, never had any such issue and still have some files that are easily 15 years old and transferred from various drives over the years and they are fine

Cell degradation is most likely culprit