[SOLVED] Dell P2719H problems with fast response time

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by gmavignier, Jul 29, 2020.

1. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    After a long time without posting on this forum I am back.

I recently bought a Dell P2719H. It has acceptable color accuracy and a good enough size for my video editing use, combined with my Dell G3 notebook.

Problem is it has two settings for response time. Normal is supposed to be 10ms. Fast, 5ms. But when I set it to FAST, it seems I get more ghosting in the image. It seems to me, the image is oversharpened and the edges are way too crisp. It is hard to describe. Moreover, it hurts my eyes after a while.

Along with this post, I am uploading a few pictures I took with my cell phone. It is hard to notice, but it can be seen. The pictures are with NORMAL response time and FAST respectively.

Is this normal? I never had a monitor with that fast response time before.

Character NORMAL.jpg Character FAST.jpg Detail NORMAL.jpg Detail FAST.jpg Detail NORMAL.jpg Detail FAST.jpg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  2. squalles

squalles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070ti
    its called reverse ghosting or dark shoots

its a common problem with agressive overdrive settings

i buyed this monitor 1 year ago and refused him because the same problem

this monitor definitelly don´t are good to gaming usage, you need another one with more overdrive options, more agressives settings always will give you these effect, normally you need use "low" or "normal" overdrive settings because "fast" or "fastest" have problems

3. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Oh man! I did't even know that was a thing. I am so frustrated right now.

I have been using a HDMI connection on it. I wonder if I switch to Display Port it will be less noticeable. My laptot has a USB-C port (with Thunderbolt 3) connection that is supposed to be connected straight to the Nvidia GPU. As far as I am aware, the Dell G3's HDMI connection is linked to the integrated Intel graphics.

4. squalles

squalles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070ti
    unfortunatelly the connection port change can´t help you

if you really want a better response time without these problem, so you need buy another monitor

i recommend check on test sites like tft central and prad.de, he always test what a good overdrive settings can be used in determinated level of overshoots, thats are very usefull to you know what a real response time you can get, like models getting 5 or 6ms without overshoots and others with 10 or 12ms, but the specs always says "1ms" because you can get close to this using the most agressive overdrive settings even with all overshoots problems causing its useless

5. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Too bad. At least I am glad to know that now. Thanks for teh help!

6. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    I do not own that monitor and I really don't know details about it. But for my monitor I use lowest slowest response time. I get superior image quality. I have 240hz monitor and I use standard. Despite I can get better clarity with moving images by using faster and fastest modes or mbr, I am convinced color pop up, brightness and image quality is lesser. That response time edit features are false marketing for input lag. Only hz and resolution define absolute ms here.

7. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    That makes a lot of sense. As I see it, these fast response time options are nothing but some kind of overclock. The only disapoiting thing is that most monitors that have these options are announced with the fastest response time possible and do not mention it as beeing an overclock option.

The only reason I am not sending my monito back is that it stil works great for the price as it has very thin bezels, a great stand and OK color reproduction. Since I don't play many FPS games, I should be OK.

8. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    As predicted, changing to display port did not help. I am in contact with Dell. I will keep this post up to date.

9. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Just a quick post to end this thread. Dell asked me to check for updates (everything was already up to date), to install the monitor drivers (I had already done) and update my display driver (was already up to date as well). In the end, they sent a technician over with a new panel. Even before it was installed, I could already see it was a refresh version, with smaller buttons and newer firmware.

Changing the panel did NOT completly solve the problem, but made it 90% better so I can actually use FAST RESPONSE TIME now.