Solidworks and Geforce 8800 GTS SLI: Can they be compatable ?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Pops-Steve, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Pops-Steve

Pops-Steve New Member

GPU:
    2x Asus Geforce 8800 GTS 640 Mb SLI
    New system will not run Solidworks (solid modeling software) due to Geforce 8800 GTS (512) SLI,.......but COD4 is stunning. Software distributors and SW guru's suggested to (a) Turn off open GL inside software,...{{ NO HELP}} or (b) change / buy a $1500.00 + Quadro series video card.
    Are there drivers that will let me run both, or seperatly,.....in different modes maybe ? Or can RT be used to fix the issues ? Any direction appreciated......simple terms please, as I'm Computer Tech Challenged,.....

System set up:
    2x Asus - Geforce 8800 GTS (640 Mb) SLI
    Driver:6.14.11.5827
    Bios: 60.80.20.00.02

Asus - core 2 duo E6850, 3.0GHz, 4Mb Cache, 1333 MHz FSB

Best regards,

Pops

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  2. kobiorama

kobiorama New Member

I have the 8800 GTS 640, but not in SLI.
    It works with SW, but the opengl performance is much worse than the one with a 6800 GTS modified to quadro, and thats on a q6600.

3. UA_Iron

UA_Iron New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Quadro FX4500
    I am pretty sure SLI does very LITTLE for openGL performance - especially in solidworks.

I run solidworks pretty nicely on my home computer:
    E6400 OC@3.4ghz
    7900GTO stock
    4 gigs DDR2-800
    XP 64
    Asus P5B deluxe

The question comes down to what size assemblies you will be using? My home computer works well for parts and assemblies under 500 parts. If you're going to be going over that I would suggest a graphics card designed for openGL performance - or buying an Ati or Nvidia consumer level card and using hacked drivers for it to make it work like a CAD/drafting/enterprise style card.

As for solidworks not working...which solidworks are you trying to install on what operating system?