Sold Win XP on ebay, buyer claims it's 'damaged' and wants refund

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Stone Gargoyle, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    I did. Naturally.

As I said earlier a rep from ebay who I spoke to over the phone actually said to me if I could get the buyer to acknowledge that they saw the picture and noted the holes they could use that in my favour. I did just that, and finally got the buyer to say 'everything looked normal in the photo' and they still shafted me.

@ MasterBash

While I could easily take your comments the wrong way I did fight my corner, being a seller for just a single month I wasn't about to let someone make me out to be a thief so I rang ebay directly and it was I who escalated the case. Not the buyer. I explained in distinct detail why the buyer was wrong and was claiming a refund under wrongful/bullish means several times. In the end I felt I'd done the best I could to represent myself and it was ebays decision.

I'm not weak or soft, if I were I would have given the git a full refund the moment they raised a case against me rather than point blank refusing to do so for over 2 weeks. Even though they sent me messages several times in a day at some points demanding as such.

2. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

Agree.

3. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    did you get the disk back to chek if the key was used? maybe you can ring microsoft and ask if the key was used lately. and no need to install it for no reason. this is an interesting case. I do think you where right and the buyer was infact a thief. i know people that do incredible stuff to get free hardware. im sad that ebay gave that a-hole the reason.

post the guys name/id so we can be on alert.

4. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Yeah, mail MS and say your key has been leaked & got into the wrong hands. You want it disabled and a new key.

Then sell that new key on Ebay again. There might be some buyers who arent complete ***holes.

5. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Gladly.

ebay id:

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/vgnx505vp/

Henry Kong

Humberside

United Kingdom

And no I've not got the disc back yet.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Like I said ebay and paypal would favor the buyer and screw the seller, Like you been told by others,Report the key Microsoft as stolen and get a new one and you can have the last laugh on the guy

7. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some green some red
    +1 for reporting the key to MS, they will disable his OS lolol

8. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    Open a case against him with eBay, report him as a scammer

Ive had scammers removed from eBay before

9. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    What a load of horse **** laziness.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    That is pointless with ebay these days, As they wont care they been screwing the sellers for last 5+ years

11. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Just had the item returned to me.

Contacted MS straight away over the phone and explained the situation.

Gave them the product key and asked if it could have a block put on it.

All MS then told me was that they can't put a block on the key, or even find out if it's in use or even give me a replacement key.

All they kept saying was "the key is tied to your machine and motherboard during installation and can only be used once".

Lots of help MS, thanks a bunch.

Only thing I can do now is format my Win 7 install on one of my laptops and put the sodding thing on there to see if the key is in use. I feel like just throwing it in the ****ing bin though now after all the trouble it's caused me the last month.

12. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6850 1000/1150
    What a pain in the ass.
    Personally, this is why I usually don't trade over the internet.
    If **** goes wrong theres no way you can phisically punch the scammer in the face.

Imo, these keys should be like the scratch lottery tickets where you scratch to see if you won. So, in this case, if the guy used it, it would be scratched and therefor his chances of scamming would be none.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I rarely buy from Ebay...when I choose to, I read comments left from buyers/sellers before making a bid or clicking "buy it now". Most buyers/sellers will leave feedback that will help you sort out whether or not the seller/buyer is honest.

14. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    gutted mate, first class tosser.

i am talking about egay here too and not jjust the member.

15. soldier1st

soldier1st Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4250
    You don't need to, just use a VM, then install it under there, then you will find out if the key has been used or not. also the evil buyer is in the wrong, and you are not at all in the wrong.

16. nightwalker342

nightwalker342 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 XC
    just send ebay a copy of the email you sent with the pictures in it before he confirmed his bid and bought it. It clearly showed the holes in the CoA and explain to them in the email it is by design. Do you have any disclaimer on your auction page that software is non returnable except under certain reasons? This is a easy way to keep from getting scammed. I always add on my ebay sales if the software has a license key of any kind, once opened it can NOT be returned for ANY reason. Prevents people from saying it doesn't work and keeping the key.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    You're over a month late.....Ebay already screwed him over...

18. mw8t

mw8t Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX660Ti 2GB SC
    This is really bad advice. The delivery person only has to 'attempt' delivery.

If you refuse the delivery ebay will issue the refund anyway and you will have just returned your item to the buyer.

19. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    This is exactly why I stay far away from ebay.

20. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Obviously your dealing with a ignorant person among other things. Heck anyone should know he is a moron for wanting to buy xp 64 bit which is one of the worst ever produced operateing systems by microsoft.