Sold Win XP on ebay, buyer claims it's 'damaged' and wants refund

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Stone Gargoyle, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    You're all right of course guys. Thanks for all the replies, at least I feel I'm getting some form of support. :)

Anyway. I've been forced to escalate the case now directly to ebay customer support.

I don't have to reply to dick sock now at least, all in the hands of ebay now.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  2. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    :3eyes::bang::bang::bang:

3. Joohan

Joohan Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus AMD Radeon R9 Nano
    Damn, what a bummer...but now you should call Microsoft and ask them to change the key so that the f*cker can't use it. He obviously installed the windows with the key you sold him, but you should change it as soon as possible!

4. CaliMnTSnaKe

CaliMnTSnaKe Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 260 700/1425
    Wow just wow, My Vista i bought from newegg brand new has theses so called port holes too. He is wrong and should not have won the dispute.

i don good day. End

5. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    The last thing I need right now is a legal battle on my hands, but yes the principle outweighs the price of the item. If buyers can get away with that kind of **** so easily and be backed to the hilt by ebay/paypal for doing so then I'd hate to imagine just how wide spread such absue of the system is.

I pleaded my case as best as I could against an arrogant, foul mouthed, inconsiderate, slanderous and downright bullish like buyer and still lost.

Now I have to await the return of the item, check if the product key is being used by instaling an OS I have no need for and just take it from there.

The guy must be sitting back with his free copy of Windows and £50 that I rightfully deserved like a ****ing king. And it's all thanks to Ebay giving not a **** that a seller can actually be in the right.

I didn't even get an explanation why the decision went in the buyers favour after two weeks of trying to settle it in a reasonable manner. I guess I didn't deserve one. Insult to injury.

6. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    Id contact eBay and tell them to F Off, asking do they really think you are so stupid as to refund for a key that has obviously already been saved / used

Id tell them to close my f'n account rather than refund that idiot, then I would start some legal proceedings against eBay

Im sure in the Ts&Cs there should be something saying no refunds on product keys / COAs etc

7. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Paypal froze the £50 in my account the moment he opened a case against me. I was then forced to remove all the funds I had in paypal to my bank account when I was happy to leave it sat there till I'd fullfilled other buyers listings.

The £50 has already been refunded to the buyer based on my current paypal activity. The buyer and ebay didn't listen to my side of the case at all even though when I phoned ebay they told me to get the seller to admit he was ok with the photo I sent him of the actual COA sticker. Which he did in a message to me. Made **** all difference though.

I feel a bit like I've been charged with a crime I didn't commit. Drama aside, just feels ****ty when you know you did no wrong and the buyer really had no valid grounds whatsoever to raise a case against me and dub me a liar.

8. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    You should do some investigating and see if he is making a habit of this with other sellers, if you can prove that, you have some ground to stand on.

Also he reasoning behind wanting a refund is totally flawed, the item you sold is as described, and even if it was ripped in half, would still work.

Make your own case, gather some facts and evidence and report them to eBay

9. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    It was me who escalated the case with all the neccesary facts because trying to make the buyer see sense was pointless. I knew I'd done no wrong and had plenty to back up my side of the case. They still sided with him regardless.

I've only been selling stuff on ebay for a month to raise money for my fathers funeral so it's really upsetting knowing I've been so blatantly ripped off.

Ebay can go **** themselves. Sellers should have rights too ffs.

10. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Basically ebay couldn't be bothered and so took the easy way out of essentially nulling the transaction. The problem is they don't realise he essentially still has the product if he took a copy of the key and CD.

Its a crappy situation, I just hope you can at least get the key blocked if it's being used by him.

11. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    I wouldnt stand for it - I would fight it all the way and no matter what the outcome I wouldnt pay anything, and if eBay take the money from the from the frozen PP account I would start legal actions 100%

12. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    I was warned things such as this do happen concerning ebay, I just wasn't expecting it to happen to me so soon. The Win XP item was only the 6th thing I'd ever sold. As everyone keeps saying I'm sure ebay are fully aware that the cd and key could have been copied, they just don't care.

13. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    Yea things like this do happen, but it does not mean you have to sit on your hands and let eBay A$$ ***k you.

Tell them to do one, and fight your corner, they only side with one party if the other says sweet FA

You did nothing wrong, the buyer is trying to rip you, eBay is not helping, so help yourself and bug the sh*t out of eBay until they listen that he already has the key and you WILL NOT refund because of this.

Dont be soft dude, eBay are nothing, just a middle man, stand up for yourself and make that idiot pay for what he bought

@Mods - Sorry for my ***$$ language but this kind of thing really gets my back up

EDIT - My first sale was scammed by a Nigerian trying to steal my PSP and have me ship it to him without payment etc

I was clueless about eBay protection then too, and did not realise that you can set up security on your sales that prevents certain categories of buyers from buying your item.

Goto the sellers security options in your account and pump up the security options which are stupidly defaulted to off, meaning anyone can buy from you even if they have 0 points and are from countries such as my scammer was.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Suddenly he speaks perfect english.

15. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    In my opinion, Ebay and PayPal are guilty of conspiracy to commit fraud, theft, and defamation of character.

Your case, and I feel sorry for you, is a perfect example of why I never use Ebay or PayPal.

16. MasterBash

MasterBash Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    From your posts I can clearly tell you are being soft and weak. Fight harder.

No offense, but you sound like a guy that can easily be taken advantage of.

People already told you what to do. It doesn't matter if he replies with bull****, our answers on this forum will always be the same. Fight it and fight harder.

If you don't stand up for yourself it will be like that a lot in your life... If you depend on people here to fight for you, that's a bad sign.

Stand up for yourself.

Again, no offense, but that is what you are showing us right now.

People try to take advantage of the weaker ones everyday, I also had people trying to take advantage of me and they all failed. Including people at my job. I stand up for myself.

I actually enjoy turning the situation around and show them they are weaker than me.

17. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    never "receive" the disk back then you can claim it was never received and get your money back :)

he will have to claim through postage but at least you have your money back.

If it does recorded etc, claim that it has two holes in it and has been damaged and you are unable to resell it :)

18. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    Yea tell the posty you want to open it when it gets to you, if it is signed for, state that it is damaged and you wont accept it - turn the tables

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Ebay/Paypal is known for this exact thing..... I quit using Ebay due to the "anonymous bidding" and the "max bid" BS.... I've never won an auction for anything because regardless of what I set my "max bid" at, I get outbid. To me, that seems fraudulent in itself.

BTW....Ebay is currently facing a class-action suit due to the "hold" they place on funds from auctions.... http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y10/m06/i08/s02

BTW....Paypal previously lost a class-action suit on the exact same matter in 2002... http://news.cnet.com/2100-1017-842240.html

I doubt this is going to effect how Paypal operates in regards to people outside of the US (considering it didn't effect how they operate in regards to people within the US Boards)....but, within the US Boarders, Paypal can't legally place a hold on funds without disclosing the reason....which they consistantly refuse.

Here's another I found interesting... http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2010/06/online_sellers_challenge_ebays.html

20. thabravo

thabravo Member

GPU:
    2x XFX 6870BE 980/1150
    I presume you did link ebay to the MS site that explains exactly why the holes are there and also pointed them in the direction of the picture on the listing which clearly shows the holes?!

If you did and they still sided against you, well they certainly can go fist themselves