Software industry leaders urge the general population to take up programming

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by deltatux, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Does writing MSDOS scripts constitute programming?
    Used to enjoy doing that to cut down on boringly repetitive tasks back in the days when Windoze was merely a twinkle in someone's eye. ;)
    Nowadays I'm just as bloody lazy as everyone else using a rig of any kind. :)

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I taught myself to program at the age of 13, started on Z80 machine code, wrote an assembler to make it easier.
    Then discovered you could compile basic to machine code so wrote games in compiled basic with the fastest routines hand coded in machine code.
    That was a lot of fun, finding the fastest ways to get the most out of the hardware.

Have done quite a few programming jobs since then, some have been fun, others really boring.
    My favourite way to code is supporting the job I am doing, so it isnt just a programming job.
    Varied contracts help as well then you dont get bored.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Guys, try PowerShell in Windows 7 and 8. It is cool shell with cool script langauge and with deep investigate-it-yourself capabilities.

4. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Funny enough thats how i started learning Android, but ditched it after about a day. It doesnt really explain anything,all you do is re-type the code without much understanding whats going on!

I doubt general population can do it. You have to have a right mind for it. But here is definitely lack of developers out there! we are looking for iOS devs atm and nobody has even applied :S

5. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    This is key, even more than knowledge

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    This isn't as stupid of a suggestion as you may think. Many of the things that you think you don't use that you learnt from school you actually do use, such as the ability to write coherent sentences.

Programming requires that the person be somewhat analytical, and involves some level of problem solving. This can actually help you in things completely unrelated to programming, as although the actual thing you are working may be completely different, the analysing and process to a solution skill learnt through programming may be used to work out a solution.

7. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    So true..........

8. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Probably far too busy jailbreaking their iPhone 5's, AndreasGuido! ;)

9. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    what? more intruders? no thanks, in spain we already have low salary, next step would be worse than china,

10. Salsoolo

Salsoolo Active Member

GPU:
    gtx 690
    +1
    ohh first college years , by the time i started debugging i realized coding isnt for me :bang:
    Most people cannot deal with programming.
    personally i wouldnt waste my time with it unless im motivated to become a l337 like these people on the video. because those are the only ones they're going to hire.
    or start my own thing. plus this video only shows the top end companies, this is not how most coding companies look like.

"1 million jobs go unfilled"
    this is blatant lie, that they always perpetuate ,they simply want a larger pool to choose from, and they can pay peanuts. what are they going to do with the extra 1 million more people than are supposedly "needed" ? H-1Bs anyone?

thank god i got out because i now make more money than some people around me who work in that industry.
    beware of the coder monkey business.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013