Software for media box

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by DerSchniffles, Aug 10, 2011.

1. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3070Ti
    So I have my media box setup with my collection of movies and now its time to start ripping my blu-ray discs to my harddrive. Whats a good program thats not to expensive to start ripping blu-ray to .mkv files? I need to be able to keep spanish and english subtitles and 5.1 surround sound. Do I need to get 2 different programs-one for ripping the disc to my hard drive and one for encoding that to .mkv?

Thanks for your help. Any other tips would be awesome. My media box is an LG st600

2. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX1080 Ti
    MakeMKV is pretty good and will do everything you need on it's own. Another option is Slysoft AnyDVD to rip the movie to your computer, and then use MakeMKV to reencode that to MKV. Hope you have LOTS of storage space though

I've got over 13TB and i still didn't think i had enough space to rip my 500+ blu rays

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  3. RTS100x5

RTS100x5 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 1GB w 54in Plsma
    BY FAR the best Ive used is DVD FAB... Very user friendly and very customizable... Trial version available.

4. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3070Ti
    Wow i totally forgot I even posted this. I went with dvd fab and it works great thanks.

@sdamaged, yeah i only have about 3TB and 60 blu ray movies takes up about 600 gig lol. but its worth it ;)

thanks guys