1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Softpedia] AMD’s Steamroller to Be Faster Than Intel Haswell

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by -Tj-, Sep 5, 2012.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Full article: http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-s-Steamroller-To-Be-Faster-than-Intel-Haswell-289980.shtml

*More info about Steam Roller: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6201/amd-details-its-3rd-gen-steamroller-architecture

I see some good price competition in the near future. Imo if Steam Roller were Bulldozer, then intel's SB & IB would be like P4 HT all over again :D

2. orion24

orion24 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    Shortly before Bulldozer was released, they were saying that AMD is to be back in the game again and that Bulldozer would compete with Sandy Bridge . . .

While I personally want AMD back the way it was before Conroe, I don't have high expectations and whenever I hear than an upcoming product is going to be good, I'll believe it only if I see it. Especially given the fact that the Intel fabs are always technically 1-2 steps ahead.

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Words mean little.
    From AMDs CPU dept at least.

Let them surprise us, I cant put faith in their PR machine until they have earned some.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    So much for AMD not competing in the high end market. I'd like this to be true but not holding my breath. We shall see.....

[​IMG]

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Talk is cheap. we shall see in due time I guess, competition is good

6. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra
    Pretty much^
    We've seen all the performance increase claims before. I'll wait for a review before buying into the hype.

7. riddikfurian

riddikfurian Member

GPU:
    ASUS TITAN EK H2O SLI
    Just because it's better on paper doesn't mean it's better in reality, intel and nvidia keep showing that in every turn... We don't need a set of instructions or a bit of hardware that will run software better in 10 years time, we need it now! That's why Nvidia and intel are what they are... My 2 cents...

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Urghh, I remember all the hype Phenom 1 got so I'm skeptical. It would be awesome if AMD and Intel are at least at par, competition is good!

9. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Even if it didn't beat Haswell and just met it, it would still be good competition between the two.

deltatux

10. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I really hope it's true.

As for myself, if Steamroller could be the "new Phenom II", that would be a great step forward.

I hope more and more games start using more than 4 cores though, Bulldozer packs a lil punch in those cases

11. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Agreed with both you guys.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1660Ti
    Fabrication isn't everything..... Sure, it helps....but the architecture is more important for performance than the fabrication process.

13. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 4GB GDDR5
    AMD getting back in the competition is good for consumer. I hope they succeed but we shall wait until we see the actual performance.

14. Enizax

Enizax Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid
    That's what they said with bulldozer, not that i don't want to keep an optimistic view of this piece of news, far from it.
    I guess I'll just have to see it to believe it.
    In hoping the good ol' days of the FX come back some day, sometime...

15. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    The 2 can very easily go hand in hand. If you have a great architecture but can't get the yields for one reason or another then you have to redesign, more often than not slowing everything down in the process. Having better fabs makes everything a bit easier, even the architecture.

16. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    meh i hope this time they can at least match intel's offering by the time it arrives

17. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    So all that news about AMD repositioning itself in the market under its new CEO and the firing of prominent engineers awhile back was bogus?

:3eyes:

18. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I would really like to AMD at the top again like most im sure, But after Bulldozer well...

Oh and Why are they naming their cpus after Transformers, Is the next one going to be called Starscream as in the blazing speed of which AMD's stock prices plummet after another sub-par release.

19. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    I want to see what FX8350 will bring to the table first, but the firts banchies shown not a big jump over FX8150. If Steamroller will be made for AM3+, performance will be up to speed, maybe I'll give it a go. If not my actual X6 at 3,9 GHz will be my last AMD CPU.

My X6 still hold it pretty well and don't see in the next 2 years a need to change it, therefore I have time to wait.

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    If Steamroller can match or exceed Haswell it would be an attractive option. That said, Haswell brings AVX2 which Steamroller probably won't have, although the effectiveness of AVX2 is program limited, and probably won't be taken advantage of for a while.