Softmod doesn't stick?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by IceMole, Nov 2, 2004.

1. jack47

jack47 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X800XT
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  2. icculus_bone

icculus_bone Guest

Hi All,

I'm not a n00b and I rarely post anywhere, but I think this one deserves some text. I have been following this post for some time as I also have a 6800nu that was a problem child when I first put it in the box.

First off, a million thanks to Unwinder. Again. I think I speak for a lot of the community when I say we can't thank you enough for putting a lot of our minds at ease and giving us some truly magical performance.

Short version (sorry if I repeat anything here) - I have a BFG 6800OC from BestBuy. Pipes were locked (12,1,5), unlocked via cmd line and - with VERY minimal artifacting - the card runs like Carl Lewis on crack. For those of you wondering about voltages, I did do a voltage mod to get a better OC. Pulled the BIOS out with nvflash, upped my performance 3d to 1.5 with Omni and reflashed. I also run my AGP voltage at 1.6, but I may play with that a little. I can run perfectly stable at 415 / 830 with all pipes open and I am a pretty damn happy d00d. (12K in 3DMark '03 anyone?) I also tried flashing to the Asus BIOS to try to push the memory up a bit (someone said 415 / 950???) but no dice. Obviously your mileage may vary...

Oh yeah, my temps have gone up. 1 degree idle and 6 degrees load. :cool:

Keep up the good (and astoundingly free) work Unwinder. Can't wait for 15.3.

- Bone

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2004
  3. Scape

Scape Guest

"- with VERY minimal artifacting -"
    wooohhha...only minimal artifacting, but there are artifacts. ****, or not?

4. Nviati

Nviati Guest

Overclocking after modding

Well, 400+ MHz core speed sound sweet, but I found out that the relation between fillrates and memory bandwith is very important. When you take a look at the reference 6800 GT, it has a fillrate of 5600 Mpix/s (350 MHz x 16 pipes) and a memory speed of 1000 MHz DDR. So you must divide 5600 by 1000 and you got a quotient of exactly 5,6. You could do that with an Ultra or NU too, the result is just the same. So I would prefer to lower the core speed a bit and increase memory speed, because I'm sure that gives you more overall performance. Otherwise you would have a bottleneck.

Look at these results from my command-line modded 6800NU (all pipes opened):

Default clocks (325/700 MHz): 3325 points in 3Dmark05

Memory overclocked (325/870 MHz): 3896 points

5. Cerub

Cerub Guest

Hi dudes ;)

first: Big thx 2 Unwinder! U rock like Hell!
    I am looking each Day 4 RT 15.3! ( maybe on Xmas?)

I own a Gainward 6800LE, RT 15.2 wont work :( , but the comand string did the Job ^^ so i could try my pipes ( no Artefacts @ 3DMark03 & FarCry ^^)

but i think my Card is undervolted to suport 16.6, but i never tryed to mod this way......
    SAFETY FIRST °O, killing the Card is not acceptable!

SO MY QUESTION:
    How to mod my voltage SAFE ?
    Maybe with a SOFTMOD?
    Whitch programms ?

( STEALTHBOMBER I think you are familiar to this........ can u help me? )

{EDIT} which DETONATOR is the best ?

Plz dont dizz me cuz i am a n00b in here ^^

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2004
  6. @icculus_bone
    í saw this asus6800le/td with gt/td bios and 415/950mhz, but not in this forum. and like i said, im not sure if i can believe it, particularly 950. i said it seems to be a MORE REALISTIC oc result than my 340/740 what is under 6800gt/td specification(identical hardware). and with a volt mod i can increase core mhz only, ddr about 4-5% = nothing. and cause of the 3 volt profiles 1,2/1,3/1,4(does the card go to 1,4 in 3d??) of my bios/board and the 4software-fanspeed-levels, warranty, no money and so on..., a volt mod is not acceptable for me. if smartdoctor hangs, 270€ burn, no thanks. but if this gt/td bios and some ram cooler will work like this 415/950, it would be great.
    plz tell me...

@unwinder
    im a noob and my english is bad, but i read the whole topic and i cant find an answer for this: there is an performance increase using the gt bios, i dont say 950 memory, but there is one. so what is different if it isnt the volt only? and how can i get this oc increase in a safe way?

thx

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2004
  7. OC_Deluxe

OC_Deluxe Guest

Hey, its me again... ;)

After a few days of testing my result is that 6800LE sucks, not because bad performance.. because i got blackscreens! (without unlock and overclocking!) Go search at google for "6800le+blackscreen" :eek: :eek:

I return the card to my hardwarestore and go get a normal 6800. :mad: :mad: :mad:

8. icculus_bone

icculus_bone Guest

@Scape:
    Yeah, there are artifacts. If there weren't I would assume this chip would not have been sold as a vanilla 6800... Throughout all the benchmarking software and games I have been using to test, the only artifacting that I can see at all is in 2 spots: 3DMark '03 - in the first test when the plane flies close I can see some artifacting on the outside of the propeller (the orange'ish part) and in '05 at Proxycon, when the guy with the BFG brings the pain, I can see some in the flames on the gun. I have yet to notice anything in games though, which is what really matters to me.

@Nviati:
    400+ core does kick ass, but I am really wanting to find the limits of the card so I can then find the sweet spot for running my appz & gamez. Running at 415 I did see 2 times that the GPU recovered after a lock up but the temps seemed OK. Still, I'm a little skittish to run here daily. Although I'm aware of the ratios, I haven't had enough time to really test all the timings correctly. I tried running my memory like yours (roughly) but it wasn't stable. Maybe I need to find the magic numbers here still. Any suggestions? You think I'm going to pull better than 4,964 in '05 and 12,036 in '03 (drivers = 66.93)? If you (or anyone else for that matter) have some ideas I'd love to try them out. I finally have some time to play with it tonight after work.

@I)r.Gr33nThumB:
    I'm not sure I can believe 950 either. If so he/she would be kicking my ass in the FPS arena, assuming it is stable. Like to see some game numbers... BTW - I didn't see any difference in the BIOS between the 6800OC and the ASUS GT BIOS in Omni, but I didn't do anything complex like a hex compare and I didn't notice any performance increases either. I may not have spent enough time with it though.

9. Scape

Scape Guest

@OC_Deluxe: i had the same probs like you i think! my first 6800 le was unstable. got black screens and blue screens, freezes and so on. but it was a revision problem. (aopen tell me) the agp voltage of my board was not stable enough, but the new revision of the 6800le could handle this they told me. card back to manufacturer, money back. with the 6800 le from club 3d and leadtek there are no probs with this. works just fine.

10. Nviati

Nviati Guest

@icculus_bone

Well, I already tried 380/880 MHz with 16/6 and I had a 3Dmark05 score of 4333. But I use the very first version of it, maybe I should try to patch it. And 512 MB RAM really suck...

@Cerub

SAFE VOLT-MOD

The safest way (isn't really "safe") is to edit the bios and then flash it after reboot.

11. icculus_bone

icculus_bone Guest

@Nviati:
    I tried all kinds of combinations last night with no luck. I can't seem to get my memory above 830 no matter where my core is. Better memory on the MSI? I can push the core on the BFG to 450 and still pass the tests in RivaTuner and coolbits but I don't think I'll be able to game there with any stability. What do use to OC your card? Have you flashed your BIOS?

Anyone have any testing results for BIOS AGP voltages? I've been messing around a bit but haven't gotten any better results yet. Seems to be most stable for me @ 1.6 tho...

12. Kaotik

Kaotik Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700 XT
    Hi, I just registered here but some of you may know me by the name of ChaoticBeauty :)

I got today ASUS V9999 GE 256MB (the "NU" with 256MB GDDR3 built on Ultra PCB)

After installing latest RivaTuner, I found out that this wasn't a ordinary NU, the card has default configuration of 12x1, 6 VP, not 5VP like NU's normally have.

I also, sadly, found out that I couldn't unlock the 2nd quad, which is hw masked, after reboot it still says 12x1 and 3dmark scores didn't change at all (and yet if I go to set it again, I only find out that it still should be enabled (1) while it's not)

Hopefully with RC3 I can enable the 2nd quad too to have all the 16 pipes in use.

About the cyan/green dots - is it certain, that those are caused by defective quad?
    Since my disabled quad is, as said before, still disabled even though I tried to enable it, but I do get those dots all over the place. this also happened before I tried the mod.
    However, I found out that by lowering the FSB, I could get rid of those.

I normally use 283MHz FSB, with it, I got 1sec pause or so in 3DMark03 GT1 + cyan/green dots and the nVidia demos wouldn't work (well they do start up, but mainly they show black screen, lag a lot and show the proper image now and then), lowering the FSB to 250MHz solved 3DMark03 problems completely, and the demos worked, but the Vulcan demo had tons of the dots, as did LOTR: BFME.
    Again, I went for lowering FSB, this time all the way down to default clocks - 200MHz FSB, and tested the Vulcan demo + LOTR:BFME - neither had any dots anywhere.

Could it be, that the GF6800's just don't like high FSB's (at least not all of them)?

edit:
    Oh yeah, at least judging by one 3DMark03 run, the card OC's nicely, 420/1150MHz at least without problems (highest core SmartDoctor would allow me to set, didn't try higher mem nor RivaTuner for OC'ing yet)
    For some reason, 3DMark03 would still detect the clocks as the default 350/1000MHz, but the score raised from 9xxx to 11xxx

And one more thing, why is the low-level OC'ing completely disabled in RivaTuner for me? I can't seem to enable it at all.

edit2: do the drivers affect this in anyway? I'm using the latest official drivers atm

Last edited: Dec 24, 2004
  13. yositosi

yositosi New Member

GPU:
    MSI NX6800-TD128
    Kaotik... do you mean that you have your mobo's FSB overclocked without locking the AGP?? If so then it is normal that you have "artifacts" since you also overclock the AGP frequency along with the mainboard FSB putting a lot of stress on your VGA... However, don't you also have stability problems with your Sound card and Hard Drive???

Try locking the AGP frequency to 67Mhz... and then you should normally have no problems with the increased FSB (unless of course you heavily overclock your CPU and your PSU does not have a strong enough 12V rail to provide adequate power to the GPU as well....)

14. Kaotik

Kaotik Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700 XT
    No, I do have PCI/AGP set to 33/66MHz locked, and to my knowledge P4P800 shouldn't have problems with the lock.

15. icculus_bone

icculus_bone Guest

I too experience artifacting if my FSB is too high. I can run @ 283 but I get a huge amount of screen garbage when doing anything other than day-to-day stuff. I even tried putting a swifty NB cooler on there... I still get the artifacts but I can OC higher. Normally I run @ 275 and I don't have the problem in most applications. I do still see it during heavy CPU utilization in certain applications, especially Aquamark. I have also noticed it (rarely) in HL2 so when I play that game I back my FSB down a bit to correct the issue.

I read in a forum somewhere that, at least on the IS7, the memory controller can't keep up in dual channel mode once you get your FSB that high. Moving my RAM from banks 1/3 to 2/4 helped a bit. Modifying voltages / timings did not.

Oh yeah - low level OC is disabled in RivaTuner by design so as not to interfere with dynamic driver level clock frequency adjustment. To read more about it just right click on the enable low level hardware OC check box.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2004

16. Kaotik

Kaotik Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700 XT
    I wonder if it would be worth it to switch to single channel, it would cause a huge performance hit, but so does 283 -> 200MHz FSB... humm..

17. Kaotik

Kaotik Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700 XT
    Small update - all the 16 pipes do work, I didn't read properly the instructions here, or didn't think or something, since last time I booted after doing the command line thingie :D
    With it, and without boot of course, all the 16 pipes work fine.

18. dOiDo_

dOiDo_ Guest

I bought a 6800GTo PCI-E with the following spec:

- 350MHz Core Engine Clock speed
    - 256MB 900MHz high speed DDR3 memory
    - Superscalar 12-Pipe GPU Architecture

With RivaTuner 15.2 I was able to activate 16x1 6Vp ON.

I run 3D mark 05 and I don't have any artifacts.

I can clock it to arround 420mhz core and 1150mhz memory, but the maximum score that I got was 4600 3D marks, which is pretty low for such an overclocking (more than ULTRA).

I've tried many diferent drivers versions and cannot get more than that.

Any ideas? Is it a voltage problem? Should I enable something more in RivaTuner?

I thank you in advance for your help.

Greetings from Portugal!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2004
  19. StriderGT

StriderGT Member

GPU:
    Gainward 6800LE
    Your card is probably not stable at these settings so the driver (RobustChannel functionality) lowers automatically your performance level to Low Power 3D or 2D mode. Check previous posts on how to force the same performance level, or how to check the stabillity of your card during a 3d application. Subject was covered extensively

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  20. dOiDo_

dOiDo_ Guest

tks :)

Do not understand much of the performance value... should I put 1, 2, 3 ...?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2004