Softmod doesn't stick?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by IceMole, Nov 2, 2004.

1. StriderGT

StriderGT Member

GPU:
    Gainward 6800LE
    65 degs are idle temps, its when they run their games that temps can shoot beyond 80s and close to 90s, let it for a few hours do so in a bad ventilated case and you can reach the 100s fry temps... When you stop the game its back to 60s again if you ever get back...

Bining has to do with operating stabillity under a certain voltage, not with the physical tolerance of a certain voltage level.

2. Subtestube

Subtestube Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GV-N68128DH 6800 NU
    I'm not going to get into an argument about this, as I really don't know much about it, but those 65 degree temps are UNDER LOAD. The one guy had 50 degree idles. I'm serious when I say it isn't temperature. I mean, god, I've NEVER seen my card go above 69, and that's with RTHDRIBL on a hot day. I consider 80s and 90s insane, and I would've said 80-90 under load if that's what the people who shorted their cards reported. As I say, you clearly know more about this than I do, however, I've seen very very clear reports of cards dying whilst overvolted such that temperature is absolutely NOT the deciding feature.

3. StealthBomber

StealthBomber Member Guru

GPU:
    Fully modded X1950GT
    Did these people mention what power supply they were using, what were their ambient temps inside the cases?

Despite a low GPU temp, the cards PCB (especially the capacitors at the back) does heat up quite a bit and that would not necessary affect the GPU temps that much, also the ambient temp sensor on these cards are unable to give such temp readings for the onboard capacitors etc, additional cooling for the cards PCB is recommended for anything at 1.4/1.5v on those 6800LE/NU cards, just checkout the back of the 6800GT/Ultra cards to see the difference!

Also these people are mostly likely the ones doing all the cooling mods and thermal paste would most definitely had been used on both the GPU and memory chips, it only take a very tiny shift of paste (over time) onto areas of the PCB to short out the card completely.

Even if they had managed to apply a very even 0.5mm thickness of paste (porbably not posible to get it that thin!) there will normally be excess paste which would still be squeezed out over the edge of the memory chips...

A power supply that cannot handle the full load of these cards will either cap out or create massive fluctuation on the power rails, this alone would be enough to kill the card.

4. StriderGT

StriderGT Member

GPU:
    Gainward 6800LE
    Subtestube: we are not entering an argument, we just excghange different thoughts and ideas. And I think its really interesting and helpfull because some aspects are unknown to me, some to you and some to others so we end up with much broader and accurate picture.

StealthBomber: I haven't changed the default cooling solution on my LE yet. So is the danger of excessive thermal paste so great, because I haven't heard anything about paste short-circuit? Are there any alternative methods, like using thermal compound pads similar to those used by the stock CPU heatsinks?

5. StealthBomber

StealthBomber Member Guru

GPU:
    Fully modded X1950GT
    Arctics Ceramique paste is electrically non conductive and is pretty much on par with AS5.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique.htm

If you look at the cards core you can see how close all the tiny resistors surrounding the the GPU core are, only a slight amount of excess paste and it could be squeezed over to the side where the tiny resistors are all located...

6. Subtestube

Subtestube Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GV-N68128DH 6800 NU
    Hehe... no worries. As for ambient temps, nup. I can't (unfortunately) find the original threads. I found one that I *thought* was it, but I can't confirm that that guys card actually died from the voltmod - he had 45 degree idles and 60 under load, but his card had a long and drawn out death. That one could just have been a "well, it was gonna die anyway, but now the warranty's void!". As you say, it could have been one little bit of bad cooling as he was using an NV5. He seemed pretty certain that temp wasn't an issue.

In any case - good to see info from others regarding this sort of thing.

7. Tommyknocker

Tommyknocker Guest

I have a pretty bad problem, was hoping Unwinder or someone else could help me. I've used that command line, but unfortunately I think my pipes were damaged as I got artifacts in 3D mark 2003. After restarting, I noticed that I was missing some shaders in CS:S... for example in the office level, the brick walls and floor in the garage bit. Please note this was after I had changed my 6800nu back to default 12p5v. On watching the video stress test, I got this-
    http://img96.exs.cx/img96/1285/error21.jpg
    Also the general IQ seemed to have been slightly reduced. My performance is pretty much the same, I've always been CPU limited so I'm guessing the missing shaders might improve it on a faster processor. Not that it's a good thing- I would much prefer them back!
    So do you have any idea what's gone wrong, and how I might fix it?

Edit- Have tried reinstalling drivers and Half Life 2 to no avail.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2004
  8. i have the same error, since i oced with smartdoctor and failed the nvidia stress test while playing CS:S -> freeze and this error
    i cant say that im missing shaders in CS:S and no errors in 3dmark. how should these brick-shader look like?

9. .::Slim::.

.::Slim::. New Member

GPU:
    asus 6800
    Hi

It is not an error on your graphic card or your system. It is since valve updated his platform. I have the same problem and i read in many forums that its valves fault. so dont be scared and wait until the next update is out

10. thx. i didnt tip on the hardware as well, but was about to put on a new windows ;)

...AHHH! so valve caused this freeze! back to 350 core :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2004

11. Tommyknocker

Tommyknocker Guest

Ah thanks God, I thought it was a little wierd. I tried another server and for some reason the shaders were there this time... it was just that server. Very strange....

12. OC_Deluxe

OC_Deluxe Guest

Hi all,

i bought a MSI 6800LE assuming that it could be unlocked with RT.

First try, i installed RT 15.2 and did the steps to unlock the HW masked units, didnt work -> bull****.

00 - disabled (hw masked)
    01 - disabled (hw masked)
    02 - enabled
    03 - enabled

08 - enabled
    09 - enabled
    10 - enabled
    11 - disabled (hw masked)
    12 - enabled
    13 - disabled (hw masked)

Thats the original configuration.

After reading the whole topic i startet to try the cmd way, i was able to unlock everything with:

/wrc020,0 /wrc024,0 /wrc028,0 /wrc02c,0 /wr1540,13f0f /rr1540

Running 3dMark gets bad screen errors so i decided to try something else and first unlock all the vertex units with:

/wrc020,0 /wrc024,0 /wrc028,0 /wrc02c,0 /wr1540,13f0c /rr1540

Woohooo it worked -> Now 8x1,6 vp, before it was 8x1,4 which really sucks..

After getting all vertex units enabled i tried the pixel units...

I got the first one enabled, but i think the second one is damaged, i cant enable it without crashing the system.

/wrc020,0 /wrc024,0 /wrc028,0 /wrc02c,0 /wr1540,03f0d /rr1540

But 12x1,6vp works very well, overclocking is still possible so i am running 315/730 without errors.

Really really nice! :D

p.s. sorry for bad english

13. Viper7824

Viper7824 Guest

I just bought a new Gigabyte N68128dh GeForce 6800 NU Adapter from December 2004 (BIOS F3).

As far as I read in this Forum, some users were able to unlock earlier Versions of this graphic adapter.

I tried to unlock the card using different NVIDIA Drivers and different BIOS. No Chance! Even with "Allow enabling HW masked units" activated (in Ver 2.0 RC 15.2) I was not able to unlock the HW masked PP and VP unit (The report detected NO SW masked units).

FINALLY I found a way in the Post "Softmod doesn't stick?":
    RivaTuner.exe /wrc020,0 /wrc024,0 /wrc028,0 /wrc02c,0 /wr1540,13f0f /rr1540

The 3DMark03 Benchmark increased by 2.500 Points and i could detect that all PP and VPs were activated. Nevertheless artifacts occured in "Wings of Fury" (cyan coloured points) and in Pixel Shader 2.0 and Mother of Nature occured white flickering on the screen.

I will not use the command line anymore due to the advice of Unwinder, but I hope RC 15.3 can solve the problem of flickering and cyan points.

14. Viper7824

Viper7824 Guest

@Unwinder:

Now, after that month of testing with the new locked GeForce 6800 boards and finally the Beta testing of RC 15.3 I have a question which also interests some of the other people here:

Can you please tell me, what exactly was the reason that the new GeForce 6800 boards could not be unlocked first?
    Did I understand it correct, that NVIDIA changed the registers of the PP and VPs or why was it impossible to unlock HW masked units with "Allow enabling HW masked units"?

15. StriderGT

StriderGT Member

GPU:
    Gainward 6800LE
    It will NOT solve those problems, because they originate from the fact that you have a defective QUAD.
    With RT 15.3 you will just be able to enable this defective QUAD with NVstrap during the boot of your OS instead of the on the fly method used by the cmd line! The only advantage that NVstrap method has over the command line is that it might save you from a PROPABLE crash the moment you use the cmd.
    The only method that MIGHT solve your problem involves Volts and since you are inexperienced on this I suggest you read a lot around these threads BEFORE you attempt anything...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004

16. sl3000gt94

sl3000gt94 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC 675/1566/1900
    I have a BFG 6800nu with 16pipes and 6vertex unlocked.
    I checked the bios and my voltage is set at
    1.2, 1.3 and 1.4
    I am guessing 1.2 is for 2D
    1.3 is for low power 3D and 1.4 is for Performace 3D.
    are these the proper voltages i should have using the 16,6 unlock

17. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

I'm seriously thinking about making a personal rule of _not_ answering questions from forum newbies. Change your mind, guys. _Each_ man coming to this forum clones almost identical questions in his first 10-20 posts. Save my time and use search, it really worth it. This question was answered dozens of time, even in the thread you are posting to.
    New generation 6800s have slightly revised units masking technique, aimed to block softmodding ability.

18. Viper7824

Viper7824 Guest

@Unwinder
    Thanks for answering my question.

@All
    Is here anyone who can give me more detailed information on Volt Modding or who had success using Volt Modding on a GeForce 6800 NU?

19. Nviati

Nviati Guest

It worx...

Well, also Unwinder doesn't recommend it, I tried the command-line switch and it worked! But my 3Dmark05 score is only 3325 points with default clocks (325/700).

I never finished the test before so I don't know what the "normal" score would be. But 3325 seems like the score for a 12pp/5vp-card. But in Rivatuner it shows 16x1/6. Anyway, I didn't recognize any artifacts. My card is very special, 'cause it always showed up with NO hw-masked units and also NO sw-masked units. I think the cards that are protected the new way may have a higher chance of perfectly working units, otherwise they (NV) wouldn't do this whole thing.

20. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

> My card is very special, 'cause it always showed up with NO hw-masked units and also NO sw-masked units.

No HW masked units, not SW masked units, and 12x1,5vp? Sorry, but I don't beleive you. ;)