SoftFiregl Problem

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Flax, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Flax

Flax Member

Hi ppl,

I've just bought an ATI Radeon 9700(non pro) and I installed Firegl 1028 drivers thanks to RivaTurner RC 12.3.
    My 3D apps are Maya and Lightwave. Firegl X1 is amazing, some tests went from 25 fps for Radeon to 71 fps for Firegl X1!
    But for some reason, when the object is hi poly count, it loses hardware acceleration after a few movements on screen or everytime i change from wire to shade and vice versa. I have to restart the program to get it back.
    The same happens to spec viewperf 7. It starts and after a few frames loses hardware acceleration. When the object is too heavy it's very slow from the first frame.
    Everytime it happens it get worse than the Radeon drivers.
    I tested this card in another workstation and it's the same thing. I tested another card(identical) too, but nothing changes, even with 1021 or 1030 drivers.
    Does anyone have an idea of what is happening?

Thanks in advance,

Flavio Alexandre.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

I'm afraid that something is wrong with your system coz nobody else experience such problems. I could assume that 1028+ are not fully antiprotected by the scripts but it the problem exists on 1021 too it's not the script's fault for sure.

3. Flax

Flax Member

Re: Re: SoftFiregl Problem

As it's a brand new card, could it be a "redesigned" one? Something to protect it from mod?

4. mattu

mattu Guest

if ati builds up a hardware defense against unwinders patches he would be worth some dollars ,)) no, i don't think that they use hardware protection, 'cause they have to redesign cards etc. and thats VERY expensive.
    we have similar probs with an original X1 at work, keeps crashing in viewperf when using driver version 28+. and we have 2 computers with the same configuration so it semms to be a hardware prob (memory i think)
    greets

mattu

5. PSK

PSK Guest

I got the same problem.

Hi, i´m from Brazil, and beside my bad english shown below, i can understand everything very well.
    I have the same problem describe above. And i have the same card - Saphire 9700 (non pro) ATI OEM - the red one with ATI fan -

I´ve tried everything, i mean EVERYTHING possible, without solding and flashing, using the wonderful RivaTurner. I´ve used RC 12.3 and RC 12.2 with all the drivers on the web, “patchbles” by the Softfiregl scripts.

The big thing is, when you increase de number of polygons in the scene, for example duplicating a sphere over and over, in some moment the hardware acceleration will stop working, and the 90 fps scene will decrease to 15 fps. The strange thing is that, if you save that scene(for example 300 spheres with 2 key frames in two different positions), close MAYA 4.5 and open again, and load that same scene you have just saved, and do nothing but play, it will play at 90 fps (Maya has a option to show), but in the moment you start to interact, like moving or rotating the perspective view, or changing the wireframe mode to shade mode (simple pressing the hot key - number 5 - ) the hardware aceleration desapears, and go to 5 fps in the shade mode when it should be at least 30 fps, and when you get back to the wireframe mode it is 15 fps, and there´s nothing you can do to get it back, until you restart the program.

Another detail is that, if you save the scene in the 5 fps shade mode and open again and play, it go to 30 fps, and if you do any interaction it go to 5 fps again.

I´ve made a lot of tests, with different scenes, including the 3D test scene to maya from highend3d.com, and ALL the tests show the same thing.

So if somebody have any idea of what could be happening, please help, because the reason I brought that card was the good news about the new patchs of RivaTurner for SoftfireGL, and the fact that I´m not stupid to buy a U$ 850 FireGL X1card with the same processor e capabilities of a U$ 250 Radeon 9700.

And PLEASE send me a request if you have that same card, use Maya 4.5, have installed any SoftFireGL Patched driver and can confirm that your card work with my teste scenes.

Thanx

:D

6. mongoled

mongoled Member

GPU:
    C3D X800 GTO @ XT800 (580/580)
    If you can produce a scene in 3dsmax i will test it on my system. I get the problem you guys are talking abt when i try to use specviewperf 7.1, specviewperf 7.0 works fine.

Using 3dsmax i do not see this problem. I decided to email specviewperf to find out what was up with their updated software and they said it was a problem with the ati driver and that a new fireGl driver would be released soon.

I will try to reproduce this problem in max if i can.

L8rs

7. mongoled

mongoled Member

GPU:
    C3D X800 GTO @ XT800 (580/580)
    Ok guys give me a poly count in 3dsmax I can use a reference.

With 426,420 polygons and default lighting in the perspective viewpoint i am gettin 26fps steady. No sign of the above mentioned problem. Gonna increase the numbers some more.

Ok now I have 1,172,160 polygons default lighting im now gettin 10fps, no sign of losing acceleration.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2003
  8. Flax

Flax Member

Thanks guys,

I'll try specviewperf 7.0, and other tests too.

9. Flax

Flax Member

Hi ppl,

Specviewperf 7.0 and Lightwave works fine!
    The problem is something with 1028 drivers and viewperf 7.1! Specviewperf7.1's results even doesn't have FireglX1 in it's database.
    I think the same is happening with Maya.
    PSK had the same problem than I had with Maya.
    Now, let's wait for new drivers from ATI, and hope Unwinder continue to work on future scripts for SoftFiregl!