SoftFireGL on HD 3870 / Success, apparently

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by maligor, Mar 10, 2008.

1. vijaynair

vijaynair Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
    Its pointless for DCC users unless the selection bug is resolved.

2. kilema

kilema Master Guru

GPU:
    3870x2 @ V7700-XP64-8.633
    I am a solidworks user so this selection lag in Maya won't be affecting me.

3. Bananabomb

Bananabomb Member

GPU:
    ATI HD3870
    Does anyone know who does the patchscripts? Didn't they come from a Korean website? I'd like to ask them if they can make a patch for the 8.391.2.1.1 driver, or can one of you guys understand korean and ask them directly?? I removed the ATI and put my old Geforce 6800 Ultra back in and don't know if I should sell it on Ebay and look for something else, since it's practically useless.

(As a reminder for those who didn't read the previous pages: the 8.391.2.1.1 driver is the only one reported working by Autodesk: http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/qualcharts/Maya2008_Extension2_win.html)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  4. boogah

boogah Member Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 295 Quad-SLI
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2008

5. airdjing

airdjing New Member

GPU:
    FireGL V8600
    I want to work in Vista

Very Cool post,
    But work in Vista is it Impossible?

Who know Patch script for vista?
    I want to 'atikmdag.sys' patch for vista.
    (Xp is 'ati2mtag.sys')

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  6. Seggybop

Seggybop Member

GPU:
    Has anyone tried altering the BIOS to the device id of firegl to see if it can replace the driver mods?

7. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    I think there are no vista mods yet, sorry

8. Bananabomb

Bananabomb Member

GPU:
    ATI HD3870
    Is the selection lag only happening with modded cards? I found this website: http://ati.amd.com/products/workstation/maya.html

Shurely it can't be an issue with FireGL cards if they even advertise these cards as compatible with Maya - although Autodesk confirmed the selection lag. :question:
    Is there any driver (for a modded or unmodded 3870) that works?

9. boogah

boogah Member Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 295 Quad-SLI
    well i'm thinking this is more of a software problem namely MAYA itself. For the people that are using MAYA and are getting lags are you using the 2008 by autodesk or the earlier one... when it was own by alias 8... 8.5 etc.

My main software usage is 3DSMAX and SOLIDWORKS and ProE and some autocad. So i have no problem whatsoever.

10. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    it's not a maya problem, it's an AMD/ATI driver problem

and it also happens with the real super-expensive firegl cards, just look at the autodesk compatibility release notes:

http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/qualcharts/Maya2008_Extension2_win.html

all models, 8.44
    When selecting vertices, it may take several seconds for the view to refresh and Maya may appear to be unresponsive

11. kilema

kilema Master Guru

GPU:
    8.391.2.1.1 is fine with HD3870 (at least according to the site given above) not sure if the patchscript can be used in that one rather than 8.44

12. Bananabomb

Bananabomb Member

GPU:
    ATI HD3870
    8.391.2.1.1 is a FireGL driver, so it won't run on a 3870 without a patchscript. I tried it as well and got a bluescreen on startup. Probably it is possible somehow though with proper knowledge.
    Sadly the "selection lag" issue doesn't seem to be an important one for AMD since the 8.44 was released in December. I don't know what market share the FireGL cards have, but it seems to be negligible to invest into a fix due to a lack of professionals using FireGL cards with Maya. I searched the web up and down and if such issues existed with Quadros there would be a massive uproar.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  13. kilema

kilema Master Guru

GPU:
    Of course I know we need a patchscript for HD3870 to work in FireGL mode, but current patchscript is for 8.44 and if it works on 8.391.2.1.1 then at least the Maya problem can be avoided (not the best solution but at least it works)

14. Bananabomb

Bananabomb Member

GPU:
    ATI HD3870
    Have you gotten it to work yet or was this a mere theoretical statement? I don't think it works at all. :bang:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  15. kilema

kilema Master Guru

GPU:
    I don't use Maya at all.

I am waiting for this to work in x64 so i can use Solidworks x64 and that's about it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008

16. klingon72

klingon72 New Member

GPU:
    onboard ati
    Hi!

I´m noob in softmodding, but in need of an opengl VGA, to work in solidworks x64 & xp64, is there any possible solution? If so, what hardware should i buy??

Thanks in advance

Paulo Coelho

17. kilema

kilema Master Guru

GPU:
    If you are a desperate user and need one NOW!! then 2900 series is the way to go but they are slowly disappearing from the market or almost even impossible to find in places.
    My advice is that a 2900 is more than enough after softmodding, you don't need to wait for the 38xx to work in 64bit. The difference is innoticable. My colleague and I were designing a huge machine with thousands of parts and on a Dell machine with dual socket xeon 3.6 GHZ with a Quadro FX 3450, we will run into problem cause of SW 2008 x32 and WinXP32 ram limitation. Later, there's a AMD FX machine with a X1950Pro as a spare computer so we started working on it and at X1950 with SW 2008 64 and WinXP64, graphics is not as good as the Quadro (obviously) and occasionally one of the drawing view will become blurry and either have to restart SW or computer and then I softmodded it to FireGL 7350 without telling my colleague and he came over and told me view didn't go blurry anymore and i asked him if he saw the performance boost and he said nope.. nothing that significant to spot. Although I got a boost in SpecViewPerf scores, you won't see the difference because you are designing in solidworks and not taking an assembly and spinning it around the whole day so you don't need the most powerful FireGL card for Solidworks

18. Bananabomb

Bananabomb Member

GPU:
    ATI HD3870
    I just 'downgraded' to normal cat 8.4 drivers and Maya works. My 6800 Ultra@Quadro performed much better than a unmodded 3870, but I'll join the queue for now, praying that someday it's gonna happen.

19. klingon72

klingon72 New Member

GPU:
    onboard ati
    Thanks kilema, for the prompt reply...

In fact i found a 2900GT VGA for sale in my local shop around 170€ (256MB), while a EAH3870/G/HTDI/512M - VGA RADEON HD3870; 512MB DDR4; HDTV;PCIE- goes around 160€.

I´ll give a try @stock eah3870, then softmod when the time is right (ASAP I hope).

Any feedback would be appreciated

20. kilema

kilema Master Guru

GPU:
    For solidworks, I don't see any difference between the work Dual Core FX machine with X1950 softmodded (7350) and my Q6600 with EAH3870 at home.

But I am still waiting for a x64 driver so i can get it to work and add another 4 GB of RAM.

klingon72 --> if you are running a single core Xeon 3.2 on Solidworks 2008, you might want to get a new cpu, SW08 takes up so much more resources than it was when we had SW06.