1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, Z75 or Z77?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by k1net1cs, Apr 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Was planning on getting a Z77 board, but then I saw a reference on Z75.
    Compared to Z77, seems like the main differences are that Z75 doesn't have Intel SRT and lacks a third PCIe lane control (in 8x 4x 4x) for multi-card setups; everything else is basically the same.

Depending on the price, I might just wait for Z75 boards to come out.
    I won't use SRT anyway since I already use an SSD as a system drive, and I'm a single-card guy, so even two PCIe (8x 8x) support is already more than I need.

What do you guys think?

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    From what I seen so far, z75 boards will most likely be all pretty 'low end'/basic boards, so it depends on what you want to do with them. Although you an overclock on it, if its a low end board no doubt the overclocking ability is reduced (just as a function of a cheaper power layout etc). If you want a basic board and don't plan to overclock much, its probably an okay choice as long as the price difference between it and a z77 board merit the decision. In all honesty, a $10 difference wouldn't make the z75 board a good choice over the z77, but $20 probably would (if you can deal with the low-endness of the board).

That said, I too don't see the merit of Intel SRT, since it potentially shortens the life of the SSD. Not only that, the specific SSD's for the purpose are so small you would be forever writing to it... good idea in principle but in reality I see it a little like Readyboost (yes I do realise they are very different things).

3. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I haven't found any MSRP on Z75 boards, though, so I can't really talk about its value (yet).

Personally, I don't think it'll be a low-end chipset, but probably more like a P67?
    I mean, Z68 is the one with SRT support and the ability to use SB's GPU, but the rest isn't that different from P67.

4. OVRKIL

OVRKIL New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5770 1GB x2 CF

5. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Biostar?
    Well, I'll take an ASRock any day over that, to be honest.

But it seems like Z75 boards are a no-no for multi-card users, since the second card would only run PCIe 2.0 at x4.
    Not a problem for me, though. :p

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Its not comparable to the Z68/P67, since the z68 effectively replaces the P67. The idea is to save a few dollars on both a chipset and board level for those that do not need or want Crossfire/SLI or the Intel SRT (which has questionable overall benefits compared to other setup scenarios). The Z75 is therefore supposedly cheaper.

There is no reason why any Z75 board can't have the same level of specs as Z77 boards (excluding crossfire/SLI etc), however the issue is whether the manufacturers would even both making high end Z75 boards. They'll probably at best be mid-range, which may suffice. The other issue is the available alternatives, you have the H77, B75, Z77, Q77, Q75... there are probably too many chipsets for the companies to make too much in the range of the Z75's, since people would probably tend to get the Z77 anyway, and if not needing those features the Q77, Q75, H77, or B75.

7. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Heh, I'll just decide when Z75 boards and reviews are out.
    At the moment, I'm still leaning towards Z77, though.

Wanted to give Gigabyte another chance, but I've had enough bittersweet memories with a couple of 'em when building systems for friends; probably going MSI this time around.
    Anyone knows any other difference(s) between GD55 and GD65 models aside from PCIe 3.0 lanes and the amount of SATAIII ports?

8. kingnosser

kingnosser Banned

GPU:
    MSI560tiTFII/OC/1GB
    My GD53 lacks front panel USB's might be similar thing with the GD55's.