so why buy the 6xx series ? (august '12)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by The Alias, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Seriously dude, just stop. You are just making yourself look like a AMD shill. You made your point (that you "think" Nvidia is overrated) so leave it at that. Personally, I will not purchase another AMD product because I don't like them. For me, I feel that Nvidia offers a superior product for what I want. That is my choice and my opinion. I don't need to start a thread to try and convince others that my opinion is better than theirs. You came into an Nvidia forum to do just that. All of your replies confirm this.

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    stop feeding the troll, you tools

3. The Alias

The Alias Guest

GPU:
    onboard
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/23/galaxy_gtx_660_ti_gc_oc_vs_670_hd_7950/1 now ask yourself how is nvidia superior when a card that costs 50 dollars less performs at the same level as the overpriced one when the full potential of each card is reached

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Guru 3d members. Stop feeding this troll.

5. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    While i have to agree that nVidia features on drivers are indeed superior to AMD, i wouldn't be brave enough to say that drivers (at least for single GPU, not CF ir SLI) on hardware supporting level are inferior on AMD.

I saw at least two or 3 not so true statement for now.

First one is, that AMD is bad at supporting older games compared to nVidia. That have nothing in common with reality, as i used nVidia cards, and actually, i do like to play older games, and that is one of the reasons why i changed to AMD. Despite the fact (witch is true) that at some of the older games nVidia GPU's with similar or few % less performance compared to AMD do a bit, or even in some cases quite a bit more frames per second, on those older games, it is quite enough (even more that that) what AMD have to offer, and what is more important at that stage is general smoothes of the game WITHOUT vertical sync, and there, AMD just nuke nVidia on large majority of those games.

Another one is, driver superiority, while nVidia do have much better/wider sets of features, drivers on the other hand are full of optimizations, and that usually leads to the problems in majority of games. Tho, those problems can be related to other things, but they are non existent on AMD, or at least not notable. So, from mine own experience, i would say, that AMD drivers are actually the ones that are superior (or maybe architecture of GPU's, or GPU's itself). You had so much examples of that trough history of Nv and ATI/AMD GPU's, while you probably change GPU when it is outdated, i do tend to keep them as long as they can fulfill their purpose, that's why i know this. It turns out, that after GPU is really outdated (I'm talking about multiple years), and you try to run game at specific same in class GPU's from both companies, almost always, you get nV GPU's overruned by ATI GPU's by a long distance... While at lunch, the same nV GPU was "better" then the same competition GPU, but when you play modern game at them, you watch slide show on nV, and you can actually play the game on ATI. Just subjective, personal experience from multiple sources/PC's eather my own, or serviced ones.

Another one is, OpenGL, while I'm not sure about what is person thinking when stated that nVidia is far ahead of AMD in OpenGL, that was also another reason to move away from nVidia, they do maybe have something better in OpenGL, i don't know what was exact thing in question, but if you consider OpenGL games, i can freely state that AMD is not just superior, but playing OGL game at AMD is beautiful experience, while playing OGL game on nVidia is real torture, especially capped ones (Doom, Pray, Quake 4 etc.).

Have on mind that those subjective opinions are all based on gaming without V-SYNC, while playing with V-SYNC in games where you can't turn it off (for some reason, engine etc.) still favor AMD in very large difference (tho, tested only at one game really, it was, Ridge Racer Unbounded).

Also, one thing i noticed over time, since i like to play fast rolled games, racing etc., and i do not play anything else (some strategy games, but only a few = Anno, CXL), is that playing on nVidia cards despite the fact some of them push more FPS then other AMD card in question, introduce lag, feeling slow (instead real speed of game) etc. and that really annoys me. I yet have to try AMD card where that is the case (maybe CF, idk), and every singe Nv card do had that problem, some less, some more. You can't really notice that problem if you don't know how game should act, how responsive should be etc. And, i do think, that is because performance optimizations on nV cards to push more FPS for reviewers and so on.

Sorry for very long post, but those are the reasons why i changed to AMD after using nVidia for very long time ( 5-6 years, few diff. GPU's), and i only wanted to share with all of you. It can be useful for someone who have similar problems.

By the way, problems with nVidia GPU's (last one) brought me here, and some solving. So it is a good thing, if i didn't used NV card, i would probably never entered this forum :).

Since i changed to AMD (had ATI long time ago, also quite a few cards) i got smile on face back while playing my favorite games. Heck, it was the same 8 to 10 years ago, i really start to wonder if nV will ever make a good card (subjective, good for me). Even i got nVidia card while thinking "I used ATI, i know nV sucked balls, but after so much time, they must be changed those thing, why the hell people would buy it if they do not, why would reviews be so good about them", and after some friend who work at PC service recommendation, i choosed nVidia card again, and was wrong, changed a few, again nVidia (because i needed features AMD do not have), same thing.

So far, none of those problems, and actually none of the problems except one, custom resolution (excellent feature on nV cards).

Now, this was a looooong post :D.

6. snowdweller

snowdweller Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    Anyone noticed that Alias guy and the Black Mesa guy started their profiles very recently........................

7. saud1

saud1 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 570
    LOL this thread is messed up

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Er no. You're asserting what you're claiming are facts then asking a rhetorical question. Put another way, you're claiming it is obvious this product (AMD) is better in every way than this other product (Nvidia). So why would anyone buy what is in fact an inferior product?
    Your entire premise of claiming all you've stated is uncontroverted fact is false. Thus your whole thread is based on a false premise.
    Any questions?

9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Do you have a link backing your assertion as fact that new consoles, meaning more than one, will be using any form of DX11? Never mind the identical API used by Windows.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  10. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    even 660ti is faster if overclocked than stock 7970ghz...block this user...nvidia models are faster:)

11. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Surprised this thread has lasted for 6 pages, if there was a thread like this in the AMD section it would of been closed within minutes.

12. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I used to be an AMD user like you, until I took a driver in the knee.

13. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    :roll::D

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I think they are both banned forum members to be honest. can we get an IP check please??

15. °L°

°L° Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    youhou, i just bought a gtx 670 pny, 350 euros, it seems expensive to you, but for us, it is worthwhile. And im going to sell my old gtx 560ti for 170 euros.
    Total:180 euros

16. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Just read this thread and I thought I'd add my 2 pennies (not cents).

What ho' peasants.

17. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Oh right so this is an 'in before the close' post now...

18. Black Mesa

Black Mesa Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560SE 1gb
    SO ...... and you're point is ......

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Black Mesa reminds me of one guy that was on here that had a personal vendetta against AA (can't remember his name you might remember him). He was cool most of the time but if anyone mentioned AA the he would go on a dietribe about why it was useless, added nothing to the game, and was just there to cripple your card.

20. Black Mesa

Black Mesa Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560SE 1gb
    Well what do you think they will use DX8 think buddy think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.