So, Whats the opinion on the XFX 7900 GS Extreme?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Shaska, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Shaska

Shaska Member

GPU:
    BFG Tech 8800GT (512MB)
    Ok so yeah, yesterday I made an order on newegg because I was tired of being screwed over by my Local Best Buy, [sarcasm] (THANKS ALOT MANAGERS! FOR HOLDING THAT PNY 7900GS FOR ONE OF YOUR OWN EMPLOYEES INSTEAD OF SELLING THEM TO SOME GUY WHO CANT EVEN USE IT BECAUSE HE HAS AGP...) [/sarcasm]

Ok :p anyways I ordered the XFX 7900 Extreme edition (funny enough the Extreme is cheaper then the regular 7900 GS right now)
    The Link to this 7900GS Extreme Of Which I speak!

Has anyone else tried this card at all yet? Looks pretty cool, And I cant wait to try out the 20 Pixel pipelines, Compared to the x1900GT I took back, I think Ill see some improvements in areas where theres lots of stuff for the card to draw on the screen (For example a large city in WoW)

Anywho, Seeing how this is a great online community I thought I would just ask to see what some of the other fantastic Guru3D members/master Gurus would think...

2. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    very solid choice.the 7900gs is the best bang for the buck card you can get.the only thing id have done differently is get the evga.the step up program may have come in handy for dx10.thats only IF your planning on going dx10 in the near future.good choice Shaska.

3. Shaska

Shaska Member

GPU:
    BFG Tech 8800GT (512MB)
    Actually I had looked at the EVGA and was pretty impressed by it too, But I wont be upgrading to a dx10 card anytime in the near future, so I figured Id go with the xfx because of the good MIR on it...

Actually right now My plans are to (In the near future) get a 680I SLI board, and then buy another of these 7900GS' and run them in SLI...

Although I may not get to take advantage of DX10 quite yet, I think I would rather wait till some cheaper mid range cards come out anyways... I never was a fan of the top of the line cards... The mid range usually can and does just as well for my expectations... (and its well below half the price :p)

4. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    i agree.sounds like a pretty solid plan.
    now lets wait and see how many people jump in and say NO get a dx10 card lol.

5. CanadianTSi

CanadianTSi Member

GPU:
    7900gs (675/886)
    Most of these 7900GS cards are clocking like mad. Mine hit 590 core on stock volts and 690 with a volt-mod.

XFX follows the reference PCB so the volt mod is pretty much the easiet volt-mod ever.

Hopefully your will be one of these good clockers.

6. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    yeah man!i was just checking out a thread at ocforum.some are getting 700mhz on the core and 1700 on mem!that is outrageous!

7. Shaska

Shaska Member

GPU:
    BFG Tech 8800GT (512MB)
    hmmm, ya now if this card overclocks as well as some of the others, I may not even need to SLI for the time being, One just may be able to last long enough for mid range DX10 to come out... that would be pretty awesome...

8. RossCorp

RossCorp Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570GTX SLI
    If you want the highest possible clocks without voltmodding then you were wise to go with the XFX version. They give the core 1.3v from the factory, as opposed to 1.2v for most other manufacturers. This almost guarantees an overclock to 600mhz, or more. Mine does 617/1784! I wish I had a motherboard that supported SLi, as I would gladly buy another one!

Seeing as how I don't, I've got some conductive ink in the mail as I type!!! I'm shooting for 675 on the core! Only time will tell...

9. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    Lol, I was right about the week moving slow, the 7900 gs I ordered just not arriving fast enough. Everyone I talked with says that card is awesome!

edit: Where the hell is the 7900 gs on evga site? Its not in the 7 series section.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  10. Shaska

Shaska Member

GPU:
    BFG Tech 8800GT (512MB)
    Im stoked about getting my card myself... Overnight shipping should have it arrive tomorrow when Im at work, And then I get to come home, put it in, and play away all through the next day which I get off! Ah Good Times!

11. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 MaxQ 8GB
    EE or not .. the 7900GS should easily 600/1600 on stock cooling .. and then u have volt mods .. :D

12. danroyle

danroyle Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus gtx 460 1gb 800/1600
    i'd get the gainward golden sample if i got one lovely card real good overclocker 1.2ns memory on it and nice not too noisy cooler

or waste all your money and get a dx10 card and quad core

go on you know you want to everyone else is :)