So tired of AMD

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Bigbeard1986, Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigbeard1986

Bigbeard1986 Guest

GPU:
    16gb
    I have a crossfire 290 setup and I am heavily displeased with it. It is rare that games run fine with it.

I have not played the division since I bought it due to the massive issues it had on AMD, and now, with the latest driver, I get 50fps in the game while outdoors on my overclocked and watercooled setup.

I just went to the main page of guru 3d and it shows one 290 getting 60fps in the game. How am I getting less than that with two of them?

If there were any 1080s in stock I would buy one right now, that is how pissed I am.

2. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    SLI isnt any better.

mPGU in general is a crap shoot.

3. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    I recommend intel gpus, they are almost hassle-free.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    This.

Go with single GPU solution next time. Keep those 290's until AMD brings out Vega.

5. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    I'm very displeased with my 290X CF too and I'm definitely jumping over to 1070s or 1080s. I'm not so sure about SLI not being any better, I have a friend with 2x980 Ti in SLI and he sure as hell seems to have way fewer issues compared to me.

I have to fiddle around with 2-3 external tools to get even some games with official profiles to actually run properly and trying to play anything in CF without some FPS cap is a microstutter extravaganza.

6. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    i have a friend with xfire that never seems have any issues either.

like i said, its a crapshoot.

7. Bigbeard1986

Bigbeard1986 Guest

GPU:
    16gb
    The only games that work are battlefield games, alien isolation, and gta v. everything else is like trash. I wanted to rip my eyes out at the poor performance and stuttering in the division.it has been so long since release and AMD still did not optimize it at all.

Look at what happened with fallout 4 - I finished the entire game before crossfire even worked.

AMD is insane to advertise 480 crossfire vs 1080...what a deceitful group of cowards. Why don't they advertise how horrible crossfire really is.

8. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    I'm in the same situation ahaha ... when the CFX scales is amazing but most of the time the performance is horrible or the profile is released 3 o 4 mouth after the game launch. .... I'm still waiting for a WORKING need for speed CFX profile.
    Probably i will switch to a 1070 or something with the same performance on AMD

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  9. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    SLI support is just as bad, if not worse at the moment. The only thing I prefer about SLI is that it works in windowed mode, which Crossfire still doesn't (I wish AMD would add support for Crossfire in windowed mode to their drivers).
    I used to run multi GPU setups for many years with both AMD and Nvidia (and 3dfx before that, but that's ancient history) and rarely had problems (with a little tweaking), but in the past couple of years multi GPU support in games has gotten so bad, that I wouldn't go multi GPU again and rather buy the most powerful single GPU card I can afford since there are so many games coming out that simply won't utilize more than one GPU. I don't think it'll change unless consoles go the multi GPU route or developers start to really care about PC gaming again, which I sadly don't see happening.
    Driver-wise, I am beginning to like Radeon Software better than the current Nvidia drivers since the latter seems to have slightly more issues lately, which was the other way around not too long ago.

10. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    It's not a crapshoot, I've had CF setups since the HD5000s and I knew what to expect and that there will always be titles that don't work. In the last 1.5-2 years however support has gotten much, much worse to the point where it's absolutely unbearable, purely because of software/driver support reasons. Maybe your friend isn't playing new releases as they come out or has different expectations.

CF profiles are sometimes released months after the game, official profiles are half-broken and never get fixed, flickering is still present and the microstutter is often terrible even at high FPS. Using CF without some FPS cap or VSync in new games is hopeless - it will stutter. Older games like BF4 ran (and still run) very well, but support for most if not all recent games has been just terrible.

11. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Guest

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090 Amp
    Well its two 980ti's SLI has crap scaling as well but the single cards have enough power to drive most games at 1440p maxed out.

I used to have 2 7950s on crossfire and hated them. Love my Fury though best card I have ever bought lol.

12. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AMP! Omega
    "I'm gonna dump this mGPU setup with **** support and buy another mGPU setup with slightly less **** support".

Good for you.

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Using multi-GPU's will never be ideal due to the nature of the workload. If you were doing data processing multi-GPU's can be made to scale perfectly, since typically the data can be properly separated and processed independently. If processed correctly they can then be rejoined at a much later time without loss of accuracy. The GPU's can truly work independently of each other and you could effectively get twice the performance (with two identical cards).

With gaming however, the idea is to get a higher framerate and have the data work coherently with each other. Bit of an oversimplification, but on a single GPU all the elements requiring processing are present in the GPU memory. The whole frame is processed together, and even though it is done highly parallel through the shaders etc the data exchange is kept within the same GPU, cache, and memory. Also each frame can relate to the next frame.

When you use dual GPUs' the work data has to be segmented in a way that allows for independent parallel processing. Sure, the end result is a complete frame or sequence of frames, but there is really no ideal way to completely segment the workload for it to work in parallel. Any shared data has to be transferred over the interconnect between the two cards and that takes time and adds latency. Due to the inherent nature it is highly inefficient. Basically SLI and Crossfire work on the pricinple that hopefully the work that has been done in parallel overcomes the efficiency losses from doing so, and still result in a higher frame rate. Regardless of Nvidia or AMD, you will likely never get a perfect separation of workload and double the performance, without at least limiting the picture to allow for this.

The only true way of doing multi-GPU's would be on one card, just not how it has been done so far. The GPU die's would have to be specially designed such that even the cache can be directly shared between the two GPU's. In this way it would act as one chip and workload designated accordingly. As everything is shared it would effectively just be like having double the shader count, with maybe a slight performance deficit. It would however, in theory, be as stable as a single card and performance scale without special programming.

Multi-GPU's could be beneficial in other ways though that in theory would just 'work', they've been tried before but the implementation wasn't the best and it was essentially a hack method. That was Lucid MVP. The workload would also not be separated evenly, but it could be useful for APU systems with discrete cards. I believe it's actually part of DirectX 12? Although haven't heard much of it after the initial reports before it came out. Also I read AMD were working on something similar before DirectX 12 really became known, it could be the AMD work ended up the DirectX spec implentation of such a thing.

In any case, just drop the whole SLI/Crossfire idea, and get a high end single card instead of dual cards. There are two reasons why they both still exist, the first is people will turn away from Nvidia or AMD if they started only to offer single card solutions, the second is that they've sucked you in to buying TWO cards instead of just one ;).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2016
  14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    And in the future it is more and more dependent on the devs to make games mGPU supported. It will be tough.

The game you are whining about might just as well never work with amd xfire no matter what amd does.

15. SimBy

SimBy Guest

GPU:
    R9 290
    Every forum needs a dedicated mGPU venting thread. Just saying.

16. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    Game engines are simply being written in ways now that make aspects such as the lighting broken when trying to run the game in AFR mode. Thus, too many games are now incompatible with both SLI and Crossfire to get a good experience. Similarly, in DX12, most of the time it is a waste of effort for a dev to code for the 1% of users that have MGPU setups, when they could instead use a more efficient lighting pathway, for example, that is fundamentally incompatible with MGPU as a result.

17. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    True enough. The game studio gets the same amount of money per purchase from the rare multi-GPU gamer as the myriad single-GPU owners, so it's a no-brainer to decide which is the higher priority.

18. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Honestly, going 2 GPU was your mistake.

Doing some research and see how many people suffer of poor SLI/Crossfire support would be enough.
    Go SLI/Crossfire only if you know what you dealing with and have time to deal with it.

19. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    Scaling itself isn't the issue, if I got a solid 50-60% average scaling I'd be happy despite paying double. The issue is that most of the time CF isn't even functional enough at release for scaling to even come up as an issue. Scaling doesn't matter when CF breaks the game, even after it's officially "supported" by AMD.

I'd love to go single-GPU, however a single-GPU card to handle 4K at 60+ FPS in most/all current titles without significant scaling back of quality in other areas doesn't seem to exist right now, nor is there any such card announced to be coming out in the immediate future.

I suppose I'll have to take your word on SLI being just as bad, but if we take these forums as a basic example simply for curiosity's sake and have a look at the AMD and NVIDIA driver sections, over here on the red side of the fence we have 5 threads on the 1st page about CF being broken, meanwhile on the other side there isn't a single thread that I can see about broken SLI. Pure coincidence with absolutely no relevance, I'm sure.:)

Meanwhile AMD is advertising RX 480 CF and the last card they released is dual-GPU.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  20. Havel

Havel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    True.
    On the paper it looks better than 1080, but people must know how is MGPU support on day0 :nerd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.