So they (MS) knew all along...30% failure rate in 360s

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by willvx, Jan 24, 2008.

1. willvx

willvx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 640/1880
    Well, well, well, after all the bitter debating, sadness, terror, and pain, it seems that MS was well aware of their console's little RRoD problem the WHOLE time; meaning BEFORE the first units were even launched in 2005.

This article from Dailytech.com spills the beans on MS's alleged knowledge of the matter. Also, it purports that ALL early units (prior redesign in 2007) WILL fail eventually; it's just a matter of time as the excessive heat will eventually warp the motherboard to the breaking point, and anything that breaks on the "digital backbone" will result in total system failure.

The article further alleges that this oversight in QA was all in an attempt to beat Sony to the market, as MS believed this was crucial to winning the console wars. They knew there was going to be bad units, but they didn't realize just how the bad the problem was going to be. This "small" oversight has already cost them over $1 billion dollars...muahahahah. Anyways, here's the link. It explains things in much greater detail.

Thanks MS...*here's hoping my 360 lasts just a bit longer for NG II*...my warranty is faulted unfortunately. :O

http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+Insider+Xbox+360+Team+Knowingly+Launched+Faulty+Hardware/article10434.htm

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I stopped reading at the bit that said...

"a supposed Microsoft insider confirms".

Nuff said.

3. ViolentOpposition

ViolentOpposition Master Guru

GPU:
    PALIT GTX 570
    But my uncle's sister's friend of an acquaintance of a long lost relative says that it's true?

4. willvx

willvx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 640/1880
    Like anyone is going to come out and say it. Ok, I understand your point guys. Maybe it's not true and maybe it is...who knows??? Asses. j/k :)

5. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    For some reason tho it seems true, the amount of failed 360's that my friends have had is unture, plus one myself, im hoping i got the redesigned version when i got mine back, cant be bothered with the hassle of sending it off agian.

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I have no qualms admitting that the 360 suffered the RRod well above normal failure rates and other problems, but i take with a pinch if salt articles claiming to be from deep throats from within the evil empire, making full discolours over two years later, after we all know about the problems, whether we suffered from them personally or not.

No doubt a more reliable source than what we have on offer here...:grin:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  7. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Actually, if you took the time to read a couple of the comments you'd know that this guy is very reliable. He's the guy that has been the insider on several other articles, and all have been true, so far. It's very unlikely that he'd risk his reputation.

8. Nafta

Nafta Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950/HD4000 MVP
    Well MS does always release unfinished products with lots of bugs etc, what did you expect? Well at least they fix most of the problems, someday.

9. ViolentOpposition

ViolentOpposition Master Guru

GPU:
    PALIT GTX 570
    Mentalists, fortune tellers, and psychics can also be right a lot of the time. It's called cold reading... though that's not exactly what it is here, but it's close; "predicting" stuff that's very obvious. So while he may have been (more or less) right in the past, and maybe even on this, that doesn't mean he's a "Microsoft insider". He could be just anyone.

*imagines that Microsoft knew that the 360 would have problems*

Holy ****, I can see the future! Or I'm an insider! Or maybe I just took a reasonable guess?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  10. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I never said he was a Microsoft insider. I just said he was an insider. Anyways, I'm not sure how you'd go about looking for his past works, but you should check them out. It's obvious that he's not just guessing on them. You can't cold read on the internet either. This one he could have guessed though, but I doubt it.

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    The article did state "a supposed Microsoft insider confirms"....at that stage you can only really take the whole article with a pinch of salt, could be true, equally could be made up.....either way there is no way to prove it unless they name the supposed insider...

12. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Launch 360 still going strong :)