So Sic of STUDDDDEERRING!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by iCeD00D, Apr 22, 2018.

1. iCeD00D

iCeD00D Guest

GPU:
    2x-EGVA 980GTX / 4GB
    Ok so this is killing me. For the past few days, I've noticed that while playing any games, my video and sound will studder for a sec or two causing the game to pause. I've done a complete uninstall of the latest drivers as well as a clean install of the video drivers using DDU. Not sure what changed since nothing new has been added. Any help would be great. Tks ... Specs below:

GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (2x) - SLI | Winblows 10 Pro (1709) | 32GB RAM | Game on SSD Drive

2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Are you running 4k? Could be something to do with an SLI problem.

3. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Windows 10 1709? There's your problem. Try the preview of 1803 or wait until release.

Maddness likes this.
  4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    It's called "stutter." With "t".

5. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Ok, you'll have to tell us more. You say it's only been happening recently, so you never had the issue before. Has there been any HW or SW changes? Does it happen in all games? How about YouTube/Netflix/General Video Streaming?

Tell us more, otherwise it's hard to diagnose.

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    There's your problem.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    cryohellinc and TheDeeGee like this.
  7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    hehe yeah, I wondered about SLI too... and how heat is distributed with that SLI system.

8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Check your IRQs. I had an issue like this on an Asus Rampage III mobo where the Intel SATA controller shared an IRQ with PCIe 0. (aka primary slot for GPU) I had to manually change the IRQ in Windows for the SATA controller to fix. It could also be another device. I've seen FPS latency caused by a wired mouse.

9. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Try running on single GPU, check temperatures, check available free RAM when lag occurs, update to latest BIOS and drivers, have fun.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    people are still under the misconception that shared irq's cause stuttering huh.... pci-e doesn't even have a physical irq route, they are MSI native with the software layer simulating IRQ's.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Problem with shared IRQs is at the drivers level. Drivers of all devices with the same IRQ are notified about interrupt from device, and they should check whether it is their device (may be even make a call back to device) to dispatch DPC call. That additional check can increase ISR time.
    You spotted main problem with MSI mode - it is native mode for PCI-E but still many devices with their drivers utilize legacy simulated interrupt mode.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Simulated IRQ's don't queue in the way physical do though, Stuttering on recent boards are at the Process interrupt level, not the physical (unless you have an AMT enabled intel nic)

Also the IRQ table for that Rampage board is set up so ICH10 AHCI/SATA is on irq 20, PCI-E 16x1 is irq 24, so im not sure they are thinking of the right board anyway,

13. iCeD00D

iCeD00D Guest

GPU:
    2x-EGVA 980GTX / 4GB
    Thanks for all the replies - even the English major correcting me (btw I did that purposely) | So my system is water cooled running an ASUS Maximum VIII. All drivers and BIOS are up to date. Today I'll disable SLI and see if that resolves any issues. Before coming on here I just ran through a couple of YT vids and noticed on one of them the "S" (we'll call it - Don't want the grammar police after me). I'll keep you up to date. Tks

14. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    Just a Hail Mary, but turn off ingame vsync, turn on nvidia panel vsync and set FPS to 2-3 FPS less than monitor refresh rate.

airbud7 likes this.
  15. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    Sometimes windows can get bogged down so to speak. All the extra programs we run. Sometimes its nice to just have a separate install of Windows just for games. Like the insider preview works really good! SLI is the 1st place I would look