So Long, Hackers: An unhackable chip.....

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by frankenberrie, Aug 6, 2008.

1. frankenberrie

frankenberrie Member

GPU:
    ATi PC 5870 1GB 875/1225
  2. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I should bookmark that article so I can bring it up when I see the following headline "Unhackable chip hacked..."

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Nothing is unhackable. They say that every damn year! Someone comes out with something that can't be hacked, then it's hacked.

We are not amused.

4. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX660 Ti Power Edition
    I dunno. Did you read that article? It will take quite a concerted effort to break that. It certainly won't be done by some casual hacker, to be sure.

5. Alexstarfire

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    That wasn't the point though.

6. CommandrX

CommandrX Guest

If I had a $ for ever time a company/security firm said some thing was uncrackable I'd be a very rich man :D

Give it some time once the device is in public hands to be cracked/exploited.

7. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    One thing confuses me here, what is the difference between using a detector and listening ? I get the idea but how can the two parties "measure certain properties of the photons" yet not be susceptible to man-in-the-middle attacks ?

8. volors

volors Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    IF there is a way to make it > there is a way to break it :cheers

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Indeed there is no such thing as unhackable.

10. Stephan.nl

Stephan.nl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Didn't Apple think the iPhone (3G) was unhackable too ?

11. Raven'sBlood

Raven'sBlood Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GTX
    Lets see how UNHACKABLE it really is.

12. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX660 Ti Power Edition
    If I had to guess, I would say that it takes advantage of the strange phenomenon that a light particle will behave differently if it is observed than if not. If it does, it truly is unbreakable unless the laws of physics are changed. Of course if that happens, the universe will unravel and we're all doomed.
    DOOOOMMMMED!

For a detailed explanation, look up "double slit experiment".

13. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
  14. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    If the human mind was used to help encode it, the human mind can help decode it as well.

15. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Not really, you can't crack strong encryption just because a human made it. This has been proven time and time again, why do you think law enforcement so hate the fact that bad guys can hide stuff from them.

You can attack other parts of the process but the actual encryption algorithm, or cipher, if based on good strong cryptography can't be broken, at least not without using a unfeasible amount of time and CPU power. Sure as CPU's get's faster and faster the bit strength needs to be increased but that's easy, the only problem is then you also need more CPU power and time to decrypt which on low powered devices is a problem, which is why you for example have both symmetric and asymmetric algorithms.

So no everything is not crackable just because it was made by humans, if that was the case you wouldn't be able to do online banking safely (cryptographically speaking, i.e. SSL). No one in there right mind (except cryptographers for academic purposes) would try to attack/crack the actual encryption algorithm if already proven to be cryptographically strong, you would attack other parts of the process and try to find a way of getting around having to actually brake the encryption. Like it was done with DVD DRM. Or for example if the process uses a human generated password and the password is say "god", then your password is weak and it won't matter how strong the encryption is, anyone with half a brain can do a dictionary attack or even guess the pass.

The point here is that the random generator used for the key generation in quantum cryptography is truly random, and by the very nature of the process it is a one-time pad. Quantum cryptography is only used for key distribution. It is the generating of the key which can't be "listen to", as that would "cause photons to be changed or destroyed".

Quantum cryptography

Background on Quantum Key Distribution

However, there are still many theoretical attacks that are possible.

Quantum_cryptography - Attacks

Experimental demonstration of time-shift attack against practical quantum key distribution systems

And what about other issues, like jitter in the optical transfer, what happens then ? Is the properties of the photons which each communication partner measure then compromised ? Would it mean that until fixed the key distribution/generation can't be done, if so it doesn't seen like a very robust way of doing key distribution.

16. Alexstarfire

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I still stand by what I said.... everything is hackable. It doesn't really matter if you hack it by going around the encryption... it's still hacked.. and that's the only thing that matters.

17. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Yup...even if it takes 10 years.....It still will be hacked...

18. vindassius

vindassius Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    So Very Very True...If it can be made...it can be BROKEN!!!
    :bang:

19. strad

strad Banned

GPU:
    8800GT | Samsung 244T 24"
    I disagree

20. Lyla

Lyla Banned

GPU:
    Everything can be hacked, even if you need physical access to the chip etc...you can still hack anything.