So I was going to SLI some RTX cards ,Remember when SLI Bridge was free

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by gerardfraser, Feb 24, 2019.

1. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I like messing around on my gaming machine so I thought I would try some RTX SLI with NVLink ,man I remember when these bridges were free and damm AMD cards you do not need a bridge, just the slot.

So not paying 100+ for a stupid bridge and I will see how well the games I am currently playing without a NVLink Bridge.

So anyone with RTX SLI,can you list any games with some scaling with NVLink Bridge,I could google it I guess.

[​IMG]

2. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I really didn't notice any difference whatsoever between the HB bridge and NVLink, I tried SLI briefly when I first got my RTX cards and my experience was the same as it's always been, when it works properly, it is excellent.

Sadly, there is a major lack of support these days, and speaking for myself, I am much happier without it.

3. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Well I guess I am in luck,I have a couple RTX 2080 cards.

Oh I gave up on SLI maybe two years ago,on occasion I do toss in a couple cards to play with.
    Thanks for the info on the HB Bridge.Info I was actually hoping on reading that tidbit in this thread.

BangTail likes this.
  4. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti
    The HB bridge does not fit, Btw.

just incase you thought that, I may have read what you said wrong.

I found that nvlink excelled in places where Sli was bottlencked by bandwidth saturation. Gsync + TAA etc.

Dragam1337 likes this.

5. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    OK thanks,the bottleneck does not bother me.I switched out 165 Gysc monitor for 4K Freesync so 60 FPS is king for me.

6. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Oh yah, in case I wasn't clear, you cannot use HB bridges on RTX cards, I was saying I didn't notice a significant difference between the two (HB on 10xx series and NVLink on 20xx series).

Some of that will be platform dependant, ymmv obviously.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  7. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Darnit - I was considering upgrading to SLI again if the link was any better but reading this has changed my mind. No sense if it's bottlenecked by driver support still / scalable features blablabla the same old stuff. Man I'd kill for a mega single gpu card at this point like a modern ARES or something. (Mini ITX user) yeah with SLI I'd have gone back to mid atx but I prefer the smaller case for LAN parties, taking it over to my friend's. Need something stronger than the RTX Titan it's too close to the 2080 TI / don't want to jump the gun on a RTX from my 1080 TI till 2nd Gen RTX or Q4 this year...

Thanks for the feedback @BangTail

BangTail likes this.
  8. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    @K.S.

I don't think you'll see anything significantly faster this year, there is simply no justification for it and I doubt there will be any competition for the 2080 Ti from anyone other than Nvidia, if you get my point ;)

Again, I can only speak for myself but I would never go back to SLI, not with Nvidia's current attitude towards it (and I'm talking about what they actually do, not what they say).

I'll be the first to admit that when it works, it is excellent, but the support has gone from bad to worse, despite their bullsh!t claims of better upcoming SLI support right around the 2080 launch (no coincidence I'm sure).

As it stands there are many AAA games that are months old now, still without support and with no word on if (or when) they will actually receive it.

Even at that point, in most cases, I have finished the game and moved on by the time SLI support does finally show up.

Some people still swear by it and more power to them, if there is a clear change in Nvidia's attitude, I might be tempted, but that change would have to very significant and a lot more than empty promises right around new product launches :rolleyes:

K.S. likes this.
  9. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    LOL I am having trouble getting SLI on RTX cards without NVLink.
    Time to move from Crossfire board to SLI board. Damm maybe I am missing something and need some sleep.
    I put a post in over techpowerup for DifferentSLIAuto to see if I made any mistake.
    [​IMG]

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    The paradigm is shifting from XFire/SLi to MGPU under DX12/Vulkan. The onus is on the developers to code the support, and not NVIDIA or AMD. If you want mgpu support in your favorite games, let the game makers know it, and let them feel your wrath. ;)

11. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    @Chastity

Yah, I don't actually buy that horsesh!t and never have; I do not believe for one second that it will get better under DX12.

It's Nvidia that disingenuously pushes SLI right around product launches, not developers or publishers.

The reason that SLI (Xfire/mGPU) is in serious decline is that the actual number of people who use this technology is incredibly small (and getting smaller) and there is simply no incentive for developers to spend time including support for it when that time could be better spent implementing features that have far more mass market appeal.

Since most people are not going to pony up $2-3K for a broken SLI experience, I don't see this changing.

12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    @BangTail

That's OK. Your choice to support it by purchasing additional cards, or not. For myself, this GTX1070 laptop will be my last NVIDIA purchase.

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    It will not work Nvidia hasn't supported bridgeless in a long time. Further, SLI support from Nvidia is fine and they are adding new profiles with each driver release. The main issue is game engines and deferred rendering techniques.

14. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    @HeavyHemi

It is?

We'll agree to disagree on that my friend.

As an SLI user since it's inception, I can assure you that SLI support is not 'fine'.

Far too many AAA games have no support and no planned (or even announced) support.

In many cases you have to use unofficial profiles that while they may work, very often cause artifiacting or other annoying glitches and can also leave you with less performance than a single GPU.

It's not dead, but something will have to happen in order for it to remain viable.

I can't reiterate this enough, when it works properly, it is excellent.

If the support was there and/or if this DX12 mGPU pipe dream ever actually materializes, I will go back to SLI, I just cannot justify it in it's current state.

The one other thing I would say is this, whether it's Nvidia, Developers or game engine incompatibility is largely irrelevant, the bottom line is that there is a lack of support for what is a very expensive proposition, and when the second card consistently sits there doing nothing, one becomes increasingly resentful.

@Chastity

I'm not going to turn this into a foolish AMD vs Nvidia discussion.

Good luck with whatever you choose :)

15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Hey that's fine. I know your view on the matter, and there isn't anything to debate. I'm just unhappy in the direction NVIDIA has been leading in, and with their driver support. The only bright spot has been the FreeSync support. Conversely, my AMD experience has been more positive, it's just that when I needed a new laptop last year, the AMD offerings were minimal, and the only RX580 offering was the HP Omen. And I don't like HP support.

Plus, I wanted to try out a Clevo system. By the time I'm ready to upgrade, I think AMD will have Navi laptops available, and they should be more widely adapted by OEMs.

I also got turned off by laptop panels needing to be whitelisted in BIOS to enable GSync, making upgrading my internal panel to being extremely limited unnecessarily.

BangTail likes this.

16. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    @Chastity

Fair enough :)

As you can pretty clearly see, I'll call Nvidia out when I don't think they are not towing the line, Their SLI strategy is an area that needs an overhaul (and has done for quite some time).

17. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You didn't actually dispute anything I posted. You simply rehashed issues that SLI has had with game engines since it's inception along with Crossfire. Your appeal to authority argument was cute, I doubt you've used SLI more extensively than I have including quad and 3-way setups with dedicated PhysX included. There is no such thing as an 'unofficial profile'. Either the game is OFFICIALLY supported or it is not. Basically you're doing what everyone else does: report issues with games THAT DO NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORT SLI as SLI issues when obviously they ARE NOT SLI ISSUES but issues with the game using SLI. Of course FORCING SLI on non officially supported games may cause issues. It would be great if folks stop reporting their issues with games that ARE NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED FOR SLI, as SLI issues. Lastly it makes a HUGE difference which side game developers or Nvidia. If the developer begins with an engine that natively is not SLI or crossfire friendly...nothing Nvidia does will matter. Nvidia is in the business of selling the most GPU's. Game developers want the widest audience and compatibility. SLI is not relevant to them.

18. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    @HeavyHemi

It wasn't an argument from authority, I simply established my long time experience with the technology and my opinion that the current state of support for the technology was lacking.

Context is important in these discussions.

Firstly, it's not a competition and secondly what you are doing is an argument from authority as you are trying to invalidate my experience using your own (even though you don't have any basis for doing that), I did not question your experience in my post, I merely established my own, big difference.

I agree concerning SLI not being relevant to developers and have stated as much in several preceding posts.

Obviously, people should not be reporting problems with unofficial profiles to Nvidia, but you can't blame them for trying to get the second card to work when they have been left with no other option.

You think everything is fine and dandy in SLI land and I do not, it's pretty simple.

As I said before, we'll agree to disagree :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  19. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    As on January 2019 NVLink without the bridge has been working.If I am wrong I am OK with that also.
    DX12 Multi GPU works in DX12 albeit not many games have support for it.

According to Sajin(now moderator in EVGA which you know him way better than I,could he be lying) he even links his files to get it working without NVLink bridge on older driver.
    https://forums.evga.com/Enable-SLi-without-Nvlink-bridge-installed-m2903968.aspx

Point is I will not be buying a NVLink bridge at any ridiculous prices they are asking for them.If I can not get Bridgeless SLI working on my RTX cards I will sell them and I am happy with either GTX 1080TI/Radeon VII Freesync 4K.

BangTail likes this.
  20. Renegade5399

Renegade5399 New Member

GPU:
    2080Ti/11GB x2
    Ebay has them for a decent price. I got my nvidia branded 3 slot for $50.