so i spilled coffee on my laptop.....

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SoButteR, Jun 12, 2005.

1. SoButteR

SoButteR Active Member

GPU:
    ati radeon 9800 pro
    i don't get a response when i try to turn it on... what are the chances i can bring this badboy back to life? anyone have any suggestions/links? i'm willing to test each part out seperately if i can.... any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. TheGr81

TheGr81 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire Radeon HD 7870 OC
    Well I hope you let it completely dry before you tried to turn it on. Otherwise you fried it for good.

3. zhackore

zhackore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 570
    put a fan on it overnight, that should fix if it ain't already dead.

4. NVguy

NVguy Active Member

GPU:
    BFG NVIDIA GeForce 6800 128MB
    bummer. Yah, just let it dry overnight and see if it will still work.

5. computerdude

computerdude Guest

Hope it wasn't too expensive of a laptop. I'd say if you can't get a response you might be outta luck.

6. hustler2004

hustler2004 Member

i spilled rum on mine which fried the mainboard for good. if it was wet when you tried turning it on id say your in trouble. if its a somewhat new laptop, try to find some sort of accidental damage protection. you can buy it then wait a few weeks and call in your mishap, thats what the compaq tech support recommended me. it would have been $698 without the plan but it only turned out to be 99 dollars with the plan so i definitly recommend this!

7. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    open the thing up as far as you can and let it dry out for a few days

hope you can resurrect it

8. thepure907

thepure907 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GT
    that sucks, do what hustler did lol that is pretty funny. gl man hope it wasnt an expensive one

9. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armor
    My brother let his mobile phone fall in the toilet a couple of weeks ago. He let it dry out for a day or 2, but it didn't work. My dad had spilled some water over his laptop while it was on, didn't do anything to that thing. He just turned it off and let it dry for a couple of days, and it was good to go again.

10. PixelDude

PixelDude Pixelated Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6800GT (Albatron) on a 19" 8ms LCD
    If you dont clean up a liquid spill asap, corrosion starts to eat the PCB and gets worse and worse. If the machine was on when it spilt then that could have caused permenant damage.

If you do get it working again, it may run for a few weeks, but it will eventually need to be repaired.

11. Funkgab

Funkgab Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 @ 850/1150
    haha i spilled hot nacho cheese over my keyboard before.. it wasnt too good first of all the keys got sticky as hell.. some keys wouldnt register.. good thing keyboard cost me 5$ i think your laptop is dead if it didnt get an response and coffee... its probably hot so probably motherboard is toast