So I Nearly Died...

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Solinari, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Solinari

Solinari Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    Hello all,

I am sure none of you missed me but the reason I haven't posted in nearly 3 months was because I was unwell for about a week (man flu/cold I thought) then utterly ill for another 10 days or so. I don't know if any of you have had proper flu as an adult but it is utterly vicious and makes a cold (man flu) look like a great way to spend a week or so. So it was looking like I had the flu proper and I went to the doctor about day 10 since I'm starting to feel really unwell and she said it sounds like I have a chest infection, so I was given some Amoxicillin and was told to get rest, take paracetamol, all the usual stuff.

Thing is I am getting worse and my chest is getting worse despite the antibiotics. I was so ill I had to go to my mothers house and she was making me chicken noodle soup and all the things a mother does for a sick child. It was a Saturday (now my memory of these events are extremely vague, I am mostly going on what my mum told me) and she said that I seemed at my worst but the next day apparently I was much better so she thought I had turned a corner and that was me on my way to getting back to normal, no such luck.

Monday, I am seriously ill. My skin had went a greyish colour and my mother called for a doctor. I recall that a doctor was coming out to see me but not much else except the headache, oh the headache!! It was unbearable. Eventually the "doctor" (the reason I used quote marks will become apparent later) shows up at around midday and examines me and her conclusion, it's just the chest infection getting slightly worse get bed rest and take paracetamol and ibuprofen. Now bearing in mind I had already been on Amoxicillin for over a week by this time, I should have cleared a bacterial chest infection. I recall telling the doctor that I had a severe headache and being annoyed that she suggested ibuprofen for this unbearable excruciating pain. A few days ago I asked my mum, 'were you happy with what she was saying?' and my mum said 'no, not really but she was a doctor (albeit a young one) so she must be right'.

The rest of the day is a blur until I recall waking up in a panic around 9 or 10pm. My mum ran upstairs and said I was grey, I said before I was a grey-ish well this time I was just grey. She called 999 for an ambulance and they said "is he conscious and breathing?" which I was, "are his lips blue" they were not, so they said we can't send one out (this is what my mother told me and I have NO reason to doubt her). They said we can get NHS 24 to call you, half an hour later they called and in the mean time my mum is dressing me because she is taking me to hospital regardless of what NHS 24 say. What NHS 24 said was they can get a doctor to come out but that will take 3 to 4 hours (I wouldn't have survived 3 or 4 hours, I was lucky I woke up at all).

She said she has no idea how she managed to get me in the car and almost called a neighbour to help. So we went to the Out of Hours at a place called "Stobhill" (it was much closer than the Royal Infirmary). She said I managed to lift myself out of the car seat and take 3 steps then collapsed, my mum was trying to carry me in but a passer by saw what was going on and helped, while yet another man ran in to the place and grabbed a wheel chair (the kindness of people!). All I recall was getting wheeled in to the building and feeling smug that I was getting taken first while everyone else had to wait, I had no idea what was going on, I was away with the fairies.

So the doctor took one look at me and said oxygen, ambulance, hospital. My mum said she had asked the doctor if it was pneumonia and he said yes without even examining me! (and he was right). After being on oxygen for a few minutes my headache disappeared (I don't recall but my mum said I thought he had gave me morphine or something because this excruciating headache was gone but it was just the oxygen). The doctor told my mum that she saved my life by bringing me in and with my oxygen saturation being 40%!! (normal O2 blood saturation is around 97%) after having oxygen for a couple of minutes. I wouldn't have survived the night, in fact the doctor said I was extremely lucky I woke up at all that night. While waiting for the ambulance I started to fall asleep and the doctor said don't let him fall asleep because he will go to sleep and not wake up, so my mum had to keep rousing me.

I was in hospital for 2 weeks in the HDU - High Dependency Unit with severe bi lateral pneumonia but worse in the left lung. The inability to get oxygen in to my blood and get CO2 out was the cause of the severe headache and that ****ING so called locum doctor that came to the house should have known that especially given my greyish skin colour, she very nearly cost me my life. Anyway, I was in the HDU ward and 2 days later a doctor stops by with a surgical mask on, which I thought was strange and he tells me I have swine flu, 2 strains of swine flu! I couldn't believe it.

They moved me to isolation. so I was in isolation for nearly 2 weeks alone in this ****ing room with a TV that has a screen the size of my Android I **** you not (well slightly bigger in height but not much!) and it's a fiver a DAY (24 hours) to watch TV on a tiny screen in hospital!

So that's me on the mend, so lucky to be alive! Still in some pain but nothing like the 3 or 4 days after I was discharged from hospital.

Furious at that stupid doctor and I have an appointment with one of the senior partners at my Doctor's Surgery to discuss it since I am considering an official complaint (my mum phone the day after I was taking in to hospital to complain but it wasn't a formal complaint).

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  2. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Glad to have you back Solinari....you are tough brother :thumbup:

I don't think my body could go through that and still be alive...

3. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Good thing your body woke you up! A few weeks ago I got bad acid reflux around 3 in the morning.My body just literally jumped me out of sleep, out of bed, gasping for breath like a mofo.But yeah, the human body is amazing.Glad you got better bro!

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Dude ... what a story, glad you came out of all this okay !

5. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    pneumonia is bad enough but swine flu!! whoa i couldn't go through that my body just wouldn't take it, i had pneumonia when i was about 27 in my left lung, i couldn't breath and luckily i caught it early and some "giant" antibiotics and a week in bed sorted me out

im glad you survived man there are many many people that wouldn't of made it

6. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger... Hope you'll recover dude, bad days are behind you...

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    glad to hear you're ok mate, hope you stay healthy and strong from now on.

8. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Glad your still here mate, that was way to close for comfort!

9. Scerate

Scerate Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    damn son after reading this i got a bit grey, but it's so good to hear you are all well again :thumbup:

10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Good to hear your're better mate.

11. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    The last time I had a severe case of the flu I was out from work for over two weeks and I lost 15 pounds. My daughter had it in 2011 and she got phenomena in the left lung and we ended up in the hospital emergency twice before she fully recovered.

Severe influenza is no joke and many people die from it every year. Just be thankful that you survived Solinari.

12. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    What a story
    Good to hear you're getting better

13. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Glad to hear you're recovering, that's a hell of a thing to go through. Press the case with that doctor mind you, I've known people who have died due to incompetence similar to what you described and those at fault got off scot free.

14. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Seen that kind of topics before and was not expencting much, mostly someone complaining about car drivers who just dont look around for other vehicles and so...

Well, got a proper story, but that didn't make me feel happy. Glad that you are ok. Lucky that you were not alone.

Curious about the swine flu though, was it the cause of that pneumonia ? Had you taken vaccine against swine flu ?

15. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Damn, as someone with medical experience, I must agree that you're one tough mutha.

I'm glad you're still kicking. Betcha wish they brought you a laptop or smartphone or something.

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Uh oh, good you are recovering pneumonia is horrible and 2 strains of swine flu, I would have been dead most likely cause I got Asthma to boot.

Doctors that make such big mistakes are ****ing horrible, my brother almost died of misconduct. That is a place for complaint for sure.

You are really tough tbh. Glad you are recovering fine :)

17. alexrose1uk

alexrose1uk Active Member

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+ 4GB@1150/1500
    Ouch sympathies. I have asthma which has receded with age, but got Pneumonia a few years ago, at first I also though it was just flue, but it got to the stage I was hyperventilating, couldn't breath, and collapsed and couldn't move. They dragged me into hospital and found my lungs were a good 3/4 full of fluid etc and had to immediately stick me on drips etc.

Took me a week to get out of hospital, and a good few weeks after that to recover.

Most people think of Pneumonia as an old person's illness, I was 23.

18. Elite3540

Elite3540 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
    Respect man, truly.

19. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Swine Flu, WOW.

20. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru